1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 08:34
    "Israel says it will speed up the construction of Jewish settlements, after the Palestinians won membership of the UN cultural organisation Unesco."

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15548585

"The Israeli government has described the Unesco vote as a 'tragedy'."

1. In what way could it be argued that speeding up the construction of Jewish settlements brings a peace settlement any closer or makes Israel any more secure?

2. Was the Unesco vote a 'tragedy'?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 09:19
    1. None, this is of course childish willy-waving.

2. Unesco can (apparently) admit whomever it likes; however it seems this was also a case of political posturing, seeing as how Unesco's interests are not really served by having a large part of its (US-supplied) budget cut. Maybe Unesco should not be bullied into not letting the Palestinians in, then again, is Palestinian membership really that vital to Unesco's operations?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 10:21
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    ...it seems this was also a case of political posturing, seeing as how Unesco's interests are not really served by having a large part of its (US-supplied) budget cut.
    US cuts Unesco funds over vote for Palestinian seat

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15527534

"The United States is cancelling funding for the UN cultural body Unesco after it voted to grant full membership to the Palestinians.

The motion was passed by a substantial majority, despite strong opposition from the United States and Israel.

A US state department spokeswoman said a payment of some $60m (£37m) due next month would not be made.

Membership dues paid by the US account for about a fifth of the organisation's annual budget.

This is the first UN agency the Palestinians have sought to join since submitting their bid for recognition to the Security Council in September.

The UN Security Council will vote next month on whether to grant the Palestinians full UN membership."
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 12:01
    Just goes to show how bad the bad guys really are.
    The US and Israel remind me of emperor Palpentine.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 13:32
    Basically what KN said.

I'll bet the recent spate of terrorist attacks against Israel (What? You didn't know about them? I guess you must have been reading all the mainstream news organizations) also played into the decision but using settlement expansion as a political weapon is counterproductive and I really wish they'd stop it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree