1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '18 00:491 edit
    YouTube
    The brave state of Mississippi stamping out abortion on demand.

First you need to drive to Jackson, Mississippi, for the only clinic left in the state that offers abortions. This is super easy to do, especially for poor women. Or maybe 15 year old rape victims. Or sick women whose pregnancy puts them at risk. You will have to spend money on a hotel, ofc, and take time off work.
    You will have to get through the wonderful people protesting outside trying their best to save your immortal soul from the deadly sin of removing a lump of cells. These people are so brave how they selflessly donate their time for such a worthy cause.
    I am sure they would also support better child healthcare, welfare for raising children, better schools, or maybe sex education and access to contraceptives (you know, so there would be less need for abortions) but alas,they are too busy with one thing, they don't have the luxury to stop being hypocrites and be consistent in their opinions.

Then you have to talk to a counselor who is legally obligated to read you wonderful messages from the state about how much of a murderer you are for considering abortion. Then there is a 24 hour waiting period to reconsider the decision you already considered. Incidentally, Mississippi has no waiting period laws for guns, but i am sure that's not super important, nobody ever bought a gun for nefarious reasons.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Jun '18 02:222 edits
    Mississippi also has an ultrasound requirement before women can receive abortions; this means she's forced to look at an ultrasound of the unborn within her, to make her feel guilty about her decision.

And in March of this year, Mississippi governor, Phil Bryant, signed the strictest abortion ban in the nation, making abortions illegal after 15 weeks. Since it can take at least a month for a woman to get her first missed period and realize she's pregnant, she'd better save up for that trip fast if she doesn't already have cash to go there.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Jun '18 04:191 edit
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Mississippi also has an ultrasound requirement before women can receive abortions; this means she's forced to look at an ultrasound of the unborn within her, to make her feel guilty about her decision.

And in March of this year, Mississippi governor, Phil Bryant, signed the strictest abortion ban in the nation, making abortions illegal after 15 weeks. ...[text shortened]... pregnant, she'd better save up for that trip fast if she doesn't already have cash to go there.
    In May, Iowa passed a bill that made abortions illegal if a fetal heartbeat can be detected, which can be as early as 6 weeks.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    30 Jun '18 08:17
    Originally posted by @vivify

And in March of this year, Mississippi governor, Phil Bryant, signed the strictest abortion ban in the nation, making abortions illegal after 15 weeks. ...[text shortened]... pregnant, she'd better save up for that trip fast if she doesn't already have cash to go there.
    According to Wiki:

"On March 20, 2018, a federal district court in Mississippi halted the enforcement of a new state law that prohibits the performance of an abortion once the gestational age of the fetus is greater than 15 weeks.[21]"
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    30 Jun '18 11:28
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    According to Wiki:

"On March 20, 2018, a federal district court in Mississippi halted the enforcement of a new state law that prohibits the performance of an abortion once the gestational age of the fetus is greater than 15 weeks.[21]"
    It's such a deeply personal issue.
    I've never understood why Republicans insist upon intrusive government involvement in only this area.

I sincerely wish they could have this same passion and zeal for border-babies, Newtown 1st Graders and the hundreds of high school children who have been class-room slaughtered across the country.

It's such obvious dissonance.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Jun '18 16:242 edits
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    According to Wiki:

It seems like that was only a temporary ban:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/20/health/mississippi-abortion-ban-blocked-bn/index.html

Judge temporarily blocks 15-week abortion ban in Mississippi

Just one day after Mississippi's governor signed a law banning abortions after 15 weeks, a federal judge issued an order temporarily blocking it.

District Judge Carlton Reeves issued a temporary restraining order Tuesday, blocking the law from taking effect for 10 days while the court considers further action.
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Jun '18 18:13
    What I don’t understand in the US, is why when someone loses the plot they shoot up a school.
    Why not shoot up a bunch of pro-life protesters and make the world a better place.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jun '18 20:10
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    What I don’t understand in the US, is why when someone loses the plot they shoot up a school.
    Why not shoot up a bunch of pro-life protesters and make the world a better place.
    The main problem is how to get the human population down to a billion or less. THAT would cure a LOT of ills on the planet.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Jun '18 21:17
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    The main problem is how to get the human population down to a billion or less. THAT would cure a LOT of ills on the planet.
    I'm not sure if that's attainable without restricting human rights. As people live longer and we strive for better medicine, healthcare and vaccines, along with better societies with less murders, less wars, less famines, etc., a natural consequence will be human population growth.

However, it can also be argued that more advanced and civil societies have less children due to better birth control and less religious hangups, like being anti-abortion or anti-birth control (like Catholics).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree