Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    26 Apr '10 07:51
    Nearly 100,000 people in Japan's southern island of Okinawa demand that a US military base be moved off the island.

    BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/asia-pacific/8642665.stm

    What are the reasons for continuing to have bases on Okinawa and 47,000 U.S. troops in Japan altogether?

    Do these reasons outweigh the local - and wider - opposition to their presence within Japan?
  2. 26 Apr '10 08:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nearly 100,000 people in Japan's southern island of Okinawa demand that a US military base be moved off the island.

    BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/asia-pacific/8642665.stm

    What are the reasons for continuing to have bases on Okinawa and 47,000 U.S. troops in Japan altogether?

    Do these reasons outweigh the local - and wider - opposition to their presence within Japan?
    I say do it. And watch their economy crumble like a cookie.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    26 Apr '10 08:17
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I say do it. And watch their economy crumble like a cookie.
    'Sustaining Okinawa's economy' is the only reason you are willing to offer for the presence of 20,000 or so U.S. troops in Okinawa?
  4. 26 Apr '10 08:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I say do it. And watch their economy crumble like a cookie.
    Okinawa has a population of 1.4 million. It seems unlikely to me that the presence of 20,000 troops supports the entire local economy.
  5. 26 Apr '10 08:41
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Okinawa has a population of 1.4 million. It seems unlikely to me that the presence of 20,000 troops supports the entire local economy.
    Oh, I'm sure there's a lot more than 20,000 troops there. Also you have no idea how spend happy US troops are. I did find this...

    http://www.virtualokinawa.com/about_okinawa/articles/economy.html
    [/quote]The Okinawa economy was known as a base economy,as mentioned before. From 1972 to now, over 4,000,000,000,000 yen has been sent to Okinawa prefecture by the government due to the U.S. Military bases. As a result, many of the roads and harbors had been adjusted, but there were not enough industrial development which will hopefully connect to an independent growth in the Okinawa economy. One of the reasons for this was a long period control of the U.S. It made the start of all industrialization slow. We can't say that no industrial development was made. The problem was that the weight of the Third industry (service category) of the whole industry was too heavy compared to First industry and Second industry. Of all the industry, Service category (3rd) covers 79% of the whole in 1991. The manufacturing and construction industry which is the Second industry covers only 21%; and agricultural industry which is the First industry covers 2.8%. We can see from this number that the Okinawa economy was changing into a Service economy. Until this one-sided industrial situation gets fixed and Okinawa economy separates from the base economy, It is hard for the Okinawa economy to develop [/quote]

    I did underestimate their population. It might not nose dive to the degree I was thinking, but it would definitely take a hit. Literally thousands of barbar shops, tattoo parlors, bars, restaurants, etc. would all go out of business.
  6. 26 Apr '10 08:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    'Sustaining Okinawa's economy' is the only reason you are willing to offer for the presence of 20,000 or so U.S. troops in Okinawa?
    No. I'm saying go ahead and leave and let them deal with it.
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    26 Apr '10 08:45
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Oh, I'm sure there's a lot more than 20,000 troops there. Also you have no idea how spend happy US troops are. I did find this...

    http://www.virtualokinawa.com/about_okinawa/articles/economy.html
    [/quote]The Okinawa economy was known as a base economy,as mentioned before. From 1972 to now, over 4,000,000,000,000 yen has been sent to Okinawa pre ...[text shortened]... usands of barbar shops, tattoo parlors, bars, restaurants, etc. would all go out of business.
    The Okinawan economy is a matter for Okinawans, not for the U.S. military.

    What other reasons are there for continuing to have bases on Okinawa?
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    26 Apr '10 08:46
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    No. I'm saying go ahead and leave and let them deal with it.
    "Go ahead and leave"? So there aren't good reasons for those troops to be there? How long has there been this lack of justification?
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 Apr '10 13:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nearly 100,000 people in Japan's southern island of Okinawa demand that a US military base be moved off the island.

    BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/asia-pacific/8642665.stm

    What are the reasons for continuing to have bases on Okinawa and 47,000 U.S. troops in Japan altogether?

    Do these reasons outweigh the local - and wider - opposition to their presence within Japan?
    I can't think of any reasons to keep these bases. I could understand keeping them open until, say, about 1950, to ensure that WWII hostilities wouldn't re-start.

    But today? They're just costly and useless.

    Maybe they could call it a resort instead of a base and call it tourism.
  10. 26 Apr '10 15:14
    Originally posted by sh76
    I can't think of any reasons to keep these bases. I could understand keeping them open until, say, about 1950, to ensure that WWII hostilities wouldn't re-start.

    But today? They're just costly and useless.

    Maybe they could call it a resort instead of a base and call it tourism.
    Isn't it supposed to allow the US military to keep an eye on China and North Korea at close range?

    Okinawa is already a major tourist resort!
  11. 26 Apr '10 16:20
    the US should have annexed Okinawa as war spoils post-WWII. (the Japanese only finally annexed Okinawa in 1868.)

    failed to do so however, and with current levels of technology i see no reason to maintain bases where they're not wanted. Okinawa Times says 85% of Okinawans don't want the base. on the other hand, Okinawa is a prefecture, not a nation.
  12. Subscriber duecer
    anybody seen my
    26 Apr '10 17:28 / 1 edit
    I was stationed there for three years and lived there for another 18 months as a civilian. Okinanwa is a wonderful place, the people are friendly and accepting. The main trouble they have with US forces is the live fire exercises done in the northern (rural) part of the island, and the Marine bases associated with that area.

    There have been a number of assualts and rapes perpetrated by marines from Camp Hansen, which is an infantry base. Add to that trouble (although less so) from the air base and other marine bases, and that adds up to alot of ticked off Okinawans.

    There economy will most certainly take a huge hit. Japanese workers guard the base, operate the base exchange and supermarket, run the officer, nco and enlisted clubs. The facilities are cared for by Japanese electricians, plumbers, pipe fitters etc... Many higher ranking service people bring there families with them to the posting, and live off base (not enough on base housing) renting apartments. Each unit has a "mama-san" who does laundry for them (and they are paid well). All this adds up to millions upon millions of wage dollars, not to mention the tourism, restaraunts and bars that are frequented.
    Naha harbor does a booming trade with US Naval ships coming in and out of port, Naha international airport as well would be affected by the loss of business.

    If that many people want us out of Okinawa, we must have really pissed them off.


    edit: they are also pissed about the heavy flight traffic at the Futenma air base
  13. Standard member joneschr
    Some guy
    26 Apr '10 17:29
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Isn't it supposed to allow the US military to keep an eye on China and North Korea at close range?

    Okinawa is already a major tourist resort!
    I would think that the numerous bases in South Korea would count as closer range.
  14. 26 Apr '10 23:29
    would there be 100k protesting if the bases (and actions) were Japanese?

    maybe they just don't like other folks.
  15. 26 Apr '10 23:32 / 1 edit
    i thought the sex crimes rate for American military in Okinawa is lower than that for Japanese in Japan as a whole? (as posted on a different thread a while back.)