1. At the Revolution
    Moves
    23 May '09 01:02
    I saw him today in Lebanon, and he promised to cut US support for the country if the Opposition won.

Isn't this a little ridiculous? Why should the US State Department dictate the sovereignty of other sovereign nations with relatively (but in no way truly) democratic elections? There seems to be a trend of American leaders promising to support Third World countries only if they elect a pro-US or a US-backed government, and promising to cut support to these countries if they elect a government perceived by the US to be anti-American (which the Opposition is not -- their leading member did condemn 9/11).

How is it that Biden thinks he can just do that?
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    23 May '09 04:04
    Should aid, in your opinion, be unconditional no matter what kind of regime is elected?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 May '09 04:091 edit
    Originally posted by scherzo
    I saw him today in Lebanon, and he promised to cut US support for the country if the Opposition won.

Isn't this a little ridiculous? Why should the US State Department dictate the sovereignty of other sovereign nations with relatively (but in no way truly) democratic elections? There seems to be a trend of American leaders promising to support Third World ...[text shortened]... -- their leading member did condemn 9/11).

How is it that Biden thinks he can just do that?
    :'(

My heart goes out to the Anti-American regimes.
  4. At the Revolution
    Moves
    23 May '09 14:45
    Sorry about the repeat. Just use the other thread of the same title.

THREAD CLOSED.
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    23 May '09 14:48
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Sorry about the repeat. Just use the other thread of the same title.

THREAD CLOSED.
    The thread is closed?
  6. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    23 May '09 15:08
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    The thread is closed?
    No. I'm part of the Joe Biden fan club, and I say any man who has foot and mouth disease deserves all my sympathy and gets my horsey vote.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 May '09 02:23
    Oh; he's in Lebanon? So now Biden thinks it's safe to fly again?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21925.html

If GW Bush had a foot in his mouth, Biden has a foot covered by a Texas sized cowboy boot.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 May '09 03:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    Oh; he's in Lebanon? So now Biden thinks it's safe to fly again?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21925.html

If GW Bush had a foot in his mouth, Biden has a foot covered by a Texas sized cowboy boot.
    It sucks the Republicans lost, doesn't it?
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    24 May '09 03:52
    Should aid, in your opinion, be unconditional no matter what kind of regime is elected?
    It's actually illegal (internationally) for one State to try to influence an election in another State.

Blatant disrespect for international law seems to be the modus operandi of the US government for the last, oh, 60 years of so.

One can only speculate that one good turn does deserve another, me thinks.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '09 04:05
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    It's actually illegal (internationally) for one State to try to influence an election in another State.

Blatant disrespect for international law seems to be the modus operandi of the US government for the last, oh, 60 years of so.

Perhaps the U.S. does not consider nation states resisting U.S. 'influence' to be legitimate states in terms of realpolitik.
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    24 May '09 04:26
    Originally posted by shavixmir

I guess the US should just refuse aid only after the election then.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 May '09 06:15
    I guess the US should just refuse aid only after the election then.
    Yup. If they so choose.

I'm not entirely certain what a country's regime has got to do with giving aid to though.
    Or are you suggesting that "aid" is not actually aid, but a method of control?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree