1. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 11:02
    Been pm'd by the articulate one who will be giving the site up completely. He had stopped using his fmf accnt and had created jwb which was contrary to the tos.This he acknowledges, but he was not using it for chess ratings gain. He's been advised to become a sub or be deleted, which he feels is unfair. I said he should fight to stay on but he feels its time to move on..

I will miss him....Will you?
  2. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 11:36
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Been pm'd by the articulate one who will be giving the site up completely. He had stopped using his fmf accnt and had created jwb which was contrary to the tos.This he acknowledges, but he was not using it for chess ratings gain. He's been advised to become a sub or be deleted, which he feels is unfair. I said he should fight to stay on but he feels its time to move on..

Wasn't happy with subscribers subsidising one account he wanted us to pay for two, fits right in with the 'download as much copyright music as possible and brag about it' and 'bribe local petty bureaurats for building consent and brag about that too' mentality.
  3. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 13:02

Started out as a woman and then became a man !! . Changed from FMF to JWB !!!
    The only place he should subscribe to is his doctor !! 🙄🙄🙄
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 13:43
    I guess. Articulate posters are always welcome.

It's the nature of the beast, though. People come and go. That he's not trying to stay leaves me convinced he already felt like going and this was the final straw.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 14:29

I hated him better as FMF.
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 15:23

Who?
  7. Pepperland
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 18:12

I can't say that his lasting impression on the forums was a necessarily positive one, every now and then he'd contribute to the discussion but in the vast majority of cases FMF seemed to be interested solely in either the provocation of his fellow posters or the propagation of his platitudes.

Furthermore, the John W Booth fiasco only served to further blemish his already impaired reputation, it is very hard to escape the conclusion that he was indeed a troll considering how he shamelessly deceived other posters here by initially posing as a conservative. Regardless of whether or not he used his alter ego to cheat at chess it was a violation of the site's terms of service and a cowardly display of deception and lack of integrity so it served him right to be given a choice of either becoming a sub or facing a ban. No other poster would have gotten away with such violation of the site's rules , there is no reason why FMF should be given preferential treatment.

Will I miss him? I don't think so.
  8. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 22:00

I'll miss his wit and wisdom. But I wish he hadn't created the situation in the first place by deciding to masquerade as John W Booth.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 22:10
    As I always say in these situations:

Good riddance!
  10. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 00:35
    ...you lot are a tough crowd!
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 04:24

To clarify, what will be "deleted" if he doesn't become a sub? The FMF account? The JWB account? Both accounts?
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 05:131 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    To clarify, what will be "deleted" if he doesn't become a sub? The FMF account? The JWB account? Both accounts?
    They said they'd delete both accounts unless he subscribed. He was a subscriber for years, but dropped his subscription a few months ago when he was trying to cut back his time on this site. He created JWB "because it is not possible to delete an account and [he] didn't want to use FMF who had always been a paid up subscriber" as a non-sub account. He didn't play a single game as JWB while an FMF game was ongoing and never posted as FMF after the first JWB post.

Seems like an exceptionally minor breach of the TOS. I can understand the site deleting one of the accounts; but to essentially force him to subscribe or delete both accounts is a bit of a slap in the fact to a long time subscriber and contributor.

But, as said above, he seems to have been on the fence about leaving for a while. This is just the final straw.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 05:16
    Originally posted by sh76
    They said they'd delete both accounts unless he subscribed. He was a subscriber for years, but dropped his subscription a few months ago when he was trying to cut back his time on this site. He created JWB "because it is not possible to delete an account and [he] didn't want to use FMF who had always been a paid up subscriber" as a non-sub account. He didn't pl ...[text shortened]... he seems to have been on the fence about leaving for a while. This is just the final straw.
    I agree that it seems a bit excessive.
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 05:22
    Originally posted by sh76
    They said they'd delete both accounts unless he subscribed. He was a subscriber for years, but dropped his subscription a few months ago when he was trying to cut back his time on this site. He created JWB "because it is not possible to delete an account and [he] didn't want to use FMF who had always been a paid up subscriber" as a non-sub account. He didn't pl ...[text shortened]... he seems to have been on the fence about leaving for a while. This is just the final straw.
    An "exceptionally minor breach of the TOS"?

Is it a breach or is it a breach sh76? I missed that part where their were varying degrees of breaching the TOS.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 05:302 edits
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    An "exceptionally minor breach of the TOS"?

Is it a breach or is it a breach sh76? I missed that part where their were varying degrees of breaching the TOS.
    I'm sure you did. But having multiple accounts has not been considered an automatic reason for banning from the site. We had a case where we were discussing the introduction of Game Mods and it became obvious a certain poster was using a second account called Fingolfin(spl?). Russ himself then posted that if the user ever posted in the account again both accounts would be deleted but did not do so after the user complied with that command. Other users have been allowed to open second accounts as long as they didn't use the prior one though this was with Admin consent.

Again, it's their site and they can do as they wish, but treating a customer who has been a sub since 2005 seems a bit harsh IMO.

EDIT: And he is a multi account abuser too! (Incredible)

Stand up user rvugts! Well done for making yourself look very silly indeed.

-Russ

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=16944&page=&page=24

The Fingolfin account was banned, but the rvugts one wasn't and continued playing on the site for another ten months.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree