1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 06:49
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/furious-ryanair-passengers-refuse-to-leave-plane-after-belgium-diversion/story-e6frf7jx-1225955043236

If this isn't the weirdest story today:

MORE than 100 angry passengers refused to leave a Ryanair flight today after it was diverted to Belgium - demanding instead that they be taken home.

The passengers, mostly French tourists who were supposed to land near Paris after returning from holidays in Morocco, sat in a dark cabin in protest hours after even the pilot and crew had left the plane at Liege airport in southern Belgium.

"The passengers, in retaliation to the company [Ryanair], refuse to come out," an airport police official said.

They were offered one of the airport's transit rooms to wait in, but refused, he added.

A firefighter said the airport was trying to organise buses to take the passengers back to France.

"I have proposed that they come off the plane because they are in the dark here," the firefighter said.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 13:472 edits
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/furious-ryanair-passengers-refuse-to-leave-plane-after-belgium-diversion/story-e6frf7jx-1225955043236

If this isn't the weirdest story today:

MORE than 100 angry passengers refused to leave a Ryanair flight today after it was diverted to Belgium - demanding instead that they be taken home.

The pas that they come off the plane because they are in the dark here," the firefighter said.
    What exactly, pray tell, did the whiny crybabies want? Did they want to plane to illegally land in a closed airport, perhaps?

Reda Yahiyaoui, a business owner who was travelling with his wife, a two-month-old baby and a three-year-old, said the passengers had no water and the toilets in the plane were locked.

Then get off the damned plane like you were told, idiot!

Nothing like a bunch of whiny Europeans with an outsized sense of entitlement...
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 13:54
    Originally posted by sh76
    Nothing like a bunch of whiny Europeans with an outsized sense of entitlement...
    Inferiority complex again, sh76? Tsk, tsk, tsk.
  4. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 14:55
    Apparently the closing of the airport wasn't exactly a case of exceptional circumstances. The airport simply closed at a certain hour, so Ryanair knew it wouldn't be able to land when the plane left. I know that Ryanair doesn't exactly give many guarantees in case flights get cancelled and such, but to knowingly divert passengers to an airport hours away from the original destination, without telling them beforehand (that's an assumption of course, I don't expect the passengers would be that mad had they been told before departure in Morocco.) is a rather good reason to get angry. Of course, what they hoped to achieve by staying in the plane is another question.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 15:00
    Funny how they don't let passengers take a yogurt inside but are ready to abandon the passengers by themselves inside the plane for hours.
  6. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 15:03
    Checked Ryanair's terms of service (which I sadly can't find in English, the link for them disappears when going from Dutch to English) and it does seem like they stayed within the terms they lay out at their website, so legally they did nothing wrong I think.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 15:341 edit
    Originally posted by Barts
    Apparently the closing of the airport wasn't exactly a case of exceptional circumstances. The airport simply closed at a certain hour, so Ryanair knew it wouldn't be able to land when the plane left. I know that Ryanair doesn't exactly give many guarantees in case flights get cancelled and such, but to knowingly divert passengers to an airport hours away from t angry. Of course, what they hoped to achieve by staying in the plane is another question.
    Then let them protest when they get home. To stay on the plane in protest when the crew on the plane is simply trying to offload you for your own comfort is petulant whining. Nothing more, nothing less.

I love how people are want their $19 airfares (or whatever) and then expect perfect service.
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    18 Nov '10 06:28
    Then let them protest when they get home. To stay on the plane in protest when the crew on the plane is simply trying to offload you for your own comfort is petulant whining. Nothing more, nothing less.

I love how people are want their $19 airfares (or whatever) and then expect perfect service.
    Well travelling to Paris and ending up in Belgium... It's what hijackers do, isn't it?
    Or maybe the passengers should be picked up for squatting?
  9. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    18 Nov '10 10:123 edits

google maps has the distance between Paris and Liege at between 360-430 km depending on route taken, with a transit time of 3.5 to 4.5 hrs by road. I'm sure the trip from Morocco wasn't even that long. I'm also sure that most people had plans once they landed. What happened next was a case of solidarity against the man, something we don't see too much of anymore. Why should they have simply acquiesced like sheep.?(Americans)

[edit] using a flight calculator the flight time is 2.5 hrs flying @ 434 kts.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree