1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    06 Oct '15 12:25
    Unpopular things like medicinal marijuana???
    Which bloody century are we talking about here?
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Oct '15 16:08
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Crime is hardly "non-existent" in Indiana though it is slightly lower than the national average.http://www.usa.com/indiana-state-crime-and-crime-rate.htm

Gary, like most urban areas, has a higher crime rate but total crimes there seem to account for less than 5% of total crime in Indiana. See http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Gary-Indiana.html and ...[text shortened]... http://www.wbez.org/series/front-center/island-gary-guns-or-laws-which-protects-us-better-106538
    So, things might be looking up in Gary. I hope so.

Obviously, crime exists everywhere. Humans cause crime, not guns. Don't mess with my rights, due to the criminality of others.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Oct '15 15:44
    How about just repealing the second amendment? I don't like the right to bear arms. I like my human arms just fine!
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 Oct '15 15:52
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    How about just repealing the second amendment? I don't like the right to bear arms. I like my human arms just fine!
    Criminalizing guns will mean that only criminals will have them. I'd rather be on an equal footing with the criminals, if they choose me as a victim.

Where I live now, I can expect a police response in under ten minutes. In Detroit proper the response may take as much as an hour, and that type of response time is longer in some rural areas. Police, in most cases, will not protect you. They will come and make reports, call an ambulance or the morgue. Protecting yourself and your family is your responsibility, and if you choose to do it with bare hands, more power to you and may the force be with you.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 12:041 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Criminalizing guns will mean that only criminals will have them. I'd rather be on an equal footing with the criminals, if they choose me as a victim.

Where I live now, I can expect a police response in under ten minutes. In Detroit proper the response may take as much as an hour, and that type of response time is longer in some rural areas. Police, in ...[text shortened]... ty, and if you choose to do it with bare hands, more power to you and may the force be with you.
    Been in this house for 34 years and never once had the need to use a gun.
    Does the part where more people are hurt or killed by accidents with their own guns than through actual gun related violence mean anything to you?
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 14:12
    Originally posted by normbenign

Where I live now, I can expect a police response in under ten minutes. In Detroit proper the response may take as much as an hour, and that type of response time is longer in some rural areas. Police, in ...[text shortened]... ty, and if you choose to do it with bare hands, more power to you and may the force be with you.
    "Criminalizing guns will mean that only criminals will have them"

nobody is doing that. just some reasonable regulations that any reasonable country has.

the problem of this shop's owner is that he is no longer allowed to sell guns like they were loaves of bread and is now required to sell them like they were guns.

"Police, in most cases, will not protect you. "
    so the answer is not to improve police, allow them more resources, better equipment and training. not to improve the safety of your neighborhood with police patrols or even private security. your answer is to give anyone a gun so that they may shoot wildly at anything that moves in their house at 3am, while groggy from just waking up.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 14:30
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    "Criminalizing guns will mean that only criminals will have them"

nobody is doing that. just some reasonable regulations that any reasonable country has.

the problem of this shop's owner is that he is no longer allowed to sell guns like they were loaves of bread and is now required to sell them like they were guns.

I'd hardly call California's gun purchase laws similar to buying a loaf of bread:

"Generally, all firearms purchases and transfers, including private party transactions and sales at gun shows, must be made through a California licensed dealer under the Dealer’s Record of Sale (DROS) process. California law imposes a 10-day waiting period before a firearm can be released to a purchaser or transferee. A person must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a rifle or shotgun. To purchase a handgun, a person must be at least 21 years of age. As part of the DROS process, the purchaser must present "clear evidence of identity and age" which is defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). A military identification accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California is also acceptable.

If the purchaser is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing the firearms dealer with documentation containing his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

Purchasers of handguns must provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification), and either (1) possess a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with their recently purchased handgun or (2) qualify for an HSC exemption."

(Pen. Code, § § 26800-26850.)
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 21:48
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    I'd hardly call California's gun purchase laws similar to buying a loaf of bread:

"Generally, all firearms purchases and transfers, including private party transactions and sales at gun shows, must be made through a California licensed dealer under the Dealer’s Record of Sale (DROS) process. California law imposes a 10-day waiting period before a fir ...[text shortened]... ecently purchased handgun or (2) qualify for an HSC exemption."

"I'd hardly call California's gun purchase laws similar to buying a loaf of bread"

it seems sarcasm is lost on you.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 22:04
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    "I'd hardly call California's gun purchase laws similar to buying a loaf of bread"

it seems sarcasm is lost on you.
    I wouldn't call your comment sarcasm, hyperbole maybe, but not sarcasm.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 Oct '15 22:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Been in this house for 34 years and never once had the need to use a gun.
    Does the part where more people are hurt or killed by accidents with their own guns than through actual gun related violence mean anything to you?
    I sincerely hope you never need to use a gun, but I also hope that if you do, that you at least have the right to have one.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 Oct '15 22:40
    Originally posted by FishHead111

"Generally, all firearms purchases and transfers, including private party transactions and sales at gun shows, must be made through a California licensed dealer under the Dealer’s Record of Sale (DROS) process. California law imposes a 10-day waiting period before a fir ...[text shortened]... ecently purchased handgun or (2) qualify for an HSC exemption."

Does the dealer in Cali get a fee for this service? In Michigan they tack $25 onto the sale, which they get to keep, just for the paper work. Seems like a violation of my private property right, that I have to pay to have someone else sell it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree