1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 12:201 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    If cannabis is legalized, alternatives to smoking cannabis (using a vaporizer, etc.) for those who so desire become more readily available. So that's another argument for legalization of cannabis, good job.

Of course, you're missing the whole point. If people want to kill themselves by smoking then that's their right and own responsibility, as long as they are made properly aware of the risks. You know, personal responsibility and stuff.
    Ok, what if I don't want to buy health coverage and wish just to be left alone to die?

Doh!! Hypocrisy revealed.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 12:41
    Originally posted by whodey
    Ok, what if I don't want to buy health coverage and wish just to be left alone to die?

what if you don't want the police to show up and wish just to be left alone to die?

you go to your elected official and tell him he should make a bill that removes those taxes. if you don't gather enough votes, tough.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 12:42
    Really? Where do you get your facts from?
    common sense.

it takes a certain amount of smoking to kill you. do you argue otherwise? or you're just being a smartass now?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 13:26

If you kill yourself, you don't need to pay taxes.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 14:07
    If you kill yourself, you don't need to pay taxes.
    You need to pay estate taxes.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 14:35
    Originally posted by quackquack
    You need to pay estate taxes.
    No, the heirs pay estate taxes.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 17:17
    No, the heirs pay estate taxes.
    I don't believe this has anything with legalizing drugs but I believe in the United States the government actually takes it share from the estate so if you kill yourself you will actually pay a tax before the money passes. (see below)

Your estate is the total of your possessions and debts left behind when you die. An executor, either named in the will or appointed by law, is placed in charge of the estate and must pay off outstanding debts, liquidating property to do so if necessary. Funeral expenses and administrative costs (that is, payment to the executor for dealing with all of this) are taken out next. Whatever is left over is what can be passed on, but before that happens, the federal government takes its share. In 2010, the maximum rate was 35 percent; a few states levy an estate tax as well. So, the estate tax is a tax on the total amount of the estate, after creditors are paid but before any heirs get their bequest. The tax is paid by the estate itself.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 17:39
    I don't believe this has anything with legalizing drugs but I believe in the United States the government actually takes it share from the estate so if you kill yourself you will actually pay a tax before the money passes. (see below)

Your estate is the total of your possessions and debts left behind when you die. An executor, either named in the will ...[text shortened]... creditors are paid but before any heirs get their bequest. The tax is paid by the estate itself.
    The bureaucratic details hardly seem relevant, but either way you can't pay taxes when you're dead.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 18:05
    The bureaucratic details hardly seem relevant, but either way you can't pay taxes when you're dead.
    We completely disagree. To me it is certainly noteworthy that the government still insists on taxing you even after you are dead.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 18:08
    We completely disagree. To me it is certainly noteworthy that the government still insists on taxing you even after you are dead.
    Yes, I believe we previously established that you prefer taxing work over taxing luck.
  11. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 18:13
    Yes, I believe we previously established that you prefer taxing work over taxing luck.
    We established that you believe you have a right to put misquote me. I believe if the government is going to tax, everyone should pay not those the government deems wealthy.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 18:20
    We established that you believe you have a right to put misquote me. I believe if the government is going to tax, everyone should pay not those the government deems wealthy.
    And you're free to believe that more desirable results will ensue from taxing the work of the non-wealthy rather than the luck of the wealthy. I do not share that belief.
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 18:31
    And you're free to believe that more desirable results will ensue from taxing the work of the non-wealthy rather than the luck of the wealthy. I do not share that belief.
    We certainly don't need to agree on anything but I feel your word choice portrays a very inaccurate view of the world. Those who make more money pay a higher tax bill and use less government entitlement programs. The wealthy are net contributors and the disdain people have for them is shocking. The accumulation and maintenance of wealth involves hard work, sacrifice, and foregoing other opportunities. Government should help its citizens keep their possessions, not take them from them.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 18:42
    We certainly don't need to agree on anything but I feel your word choice portrays a very inaccurate view of the world. Those who make more money pay a higher tax bill and use less government entitlement programs. The wealthy are net contributors and the disdain people have for them is shocking. The accumulation and maintenance of wealth involves har ...[text shortened]... rtunities. Government should help its citizens keep their possessions, not take them from them.
    Yeah, it takes lots of hard work and sacrifice to inherit money. Good point.

Can you quantify the relationship between personal wealth and "hard work"?
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 19:07
    Yeah, it takes lots of hard work and sacrifice to inherit money. Good point.

Can you quantify the relationship between personal wealth and "hard work"?
    Your sarcasm ignores the point. It took hard work to acquire and accumulate the wealth. Perhaps the government should quantify the hard work that it did to justify a piece of the inheritance.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree