1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 17:112 edits
    83% Say Congress Should Post Bills Online For All To Read Before Voting On Them

Eighty-three percent (83% ) of U.S. voters say legislation should be posted online in final form and available for everyone to read before Congress votes on it. The only exception would be for extreme emergencies.

[snip]

Of those who favor posting congressional bills in their final form on the Internet, 64% say they should be available to the public two weeks or more before Congress votes and 29% favor posting bills one week before a vote. Just four percent (4% ) think three days before a congressional vote is soon enough, while one percent (1% ) say one day is enough.

Complete article: http://sroblog.com/2009/09/30/83-say-congress-should-post-bills-online-for-all-to-read-before-voting-on-them-rasmussen-reports%E2%84%A2/

=================

Are there any grounds to oppose such an innovation?
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 17:121 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    http://sroblog.com/2009/09/30/83-say-congress-should-post-bills-online-for-all-to-read-before-voting-on-them-rasmussen-reports%E2%84%A2/
    None. I'm not sure about the exact dates, but they should be made available the day the final draft is given for other congressman to read.

PS: Please don't hide the links, it makes them harder to follow, especiallt for those of us who use Linkification.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 17:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    OFF TOPIC
    You're in Indonesia, right? Were you near the quake?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 17:37
    Originally posted by Palynka
    You're in Indonesia, right? Were you near the quake?
    Two and half hours away by Boeing 737. Didn't feel this one in Padang. But was on the outer fringes of the rings of the news graphic for the one in Tasikmalaya a couple of weeks back and certainly felt that one - oddly whoosy and undulating - although it's six hours away in a car. We had our very own one on 27th May 2006 which killed 5,000 including a few of my neighbours. Thanks for your concern.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 01:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]83% Say Congress Should Post Bills Online For All To Read Before Voting On Them

Eighty-three percent (83% ) of U.S. voters say legislation should be posted online in final form and available for everyone to read before Congress votes on it. The only exception would be for extreme emergencies.

[snip]

Of those who favor posting congressional bills ...[text shortened]... en-reports%E2%84%A2/

=================

Are there any grounds to oppose such an innovation?[/b]
    They already are:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/

Maybe amendments aren't posted in real time, but that would be impossible as amendments are proposed all the time and simultaneously with each other.
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 01:581 edit
    I would not only like them posted online for the public to read, I would also like an executive summary in plain English. Better yet, how about an independent body that reviews whether laws are constitutional, and makes its findings public, BEFORE they are allowed into law?

Is it constitutional, for example, for the government to mandate that people buy health insurance? Seems more efficient to get that question squared away up front before we spend a trillion with that concept as the linchpin.
  7. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 03:23
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I would not only like them posted online for the public to read, I would also like an executive summary in plain English. Better yet, how about an independent body that reviews whether laws are constitutional, and makes its findings public, BEFORE they are allowed into law?

Is it constitutional, for example, for the government to mandate that people bu ...[text shortened]... hat question squared away up front before we spend a trillion with that concept as the linchpin.
    More and easier access would be great, I support moves towards greater transparency.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree