1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 16:13
    The movie inspires this question. Did Lincoln delay the end of the war to get the 13th Amendment passed or was the rebels' negotiating position patently unacceptable such that sitting down with them in DC would have had even worse war consequences?
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 21:25
    Originally posted by JS357
    The movie inspires this question. Did Lincoln delay the end of the war to get the 13th Amendment passed or was the rebels' negotiating position patently unacceptable such that sitting down with them in DC would have had even worse war consequences?
    I have not watched the movie, and don't fully understand the question but find it interesting.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 21:36
    [i]Originally posted by moon1969[/
    I have not watched the movie, and don't fully understand the question but find it interesting.
    Sorry I am on a kindle so am hampered. In the movie Abe declines to meet with a rebel delegation that wants to negotiate peace as being between "two nations". In part his motivation seems to include a view that imminent peace negotiations no matter the outcome of this two nations business would scuttle the 13th amendment. I am looking for views of history buffs of this period.
  4. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 21:56
    I haven't seen it, but I want to. Was it awesome?
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 22:12
    Sorry I am on a kindle so am hampered. In the movie Abe declines to meet with a rebel delegation that wants to negotiate peace as being between "two nations". In part his motivation seems to include a view that imminent peace negotiations no matter the outcome of this two nations business would scuttle the 13th amendment. I am looking for views of history buffs of this period.
    I'm not aware of any such specific incident. Accepting that delegates from the CSA were from a "nation" would have undermined the entire rationale of putting down the rebellion, however.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 00:10
    Lincoln was too busy hunting vampires to bother with the war.
  7. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 00:16
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Lincoln was too busy hunting vampires to bother with the war.
    Ha. Good one.
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 00:17
    Not to your point, but I understand the southern state legislators had to vote to accept the reconstruction amendments to be readmitted to the union as a state instead of remaining a territory.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 01:41
    I suspect you are asking about the current 13th, but a far more interesting question is why the original 13th is missing. Could it have been that Lincoln was a lawyer?

http://freedom-school.com/truth/10/missing13th.htm
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 02:01
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I suspect you are asking about the current 13th, but a far more interesting question is why the original 13th is missing. Could it have been that Lincoln was a lawyer?

http://freedom-school.com/truth/10/missing13th.htm
    The preposterous claims in that article are debunked in the law journal article here: http://www.thirdamendment.com/missing.html

See especially Sections II and III.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 02:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The preposterous claims in that article are debunked in the law journal article here: http://www.thirdamendment.com/missing.html

See especially Sections II and III.
    Still significant argument over this amendment in the article you cited. Similar to the later confusion over the 16th and its ratification.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 02:17
    Still significant argument over this amendment in the article you cited. Similar to the later confusion over the 16th and its ratification.
    No, there isn't. As to either.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 02:18
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Ha. Good one.
    What, you think I'm joking?
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 02:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    No, there isn't. As to either.
    I'm glad its all settled in your mind.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 02:23
    I'm glad its all settled in your mind.
    There are no reasonable grounds for challenging the rejection of the proposed 13th or the ratification of the 16th.

Both have been settled law for some time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree