1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '17 11:511 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/jun/09/linkedin-is-the-worst-of-social-media-should-i-delete-my-account

An amusing article from the Guardian on the vagaries of the employment network.

What do people think of LinkedIn? Do you use it, in what way? I find it useful for job searching and reading the odd interesting article I come across by accident.

I get invites to “connect” from strange people with unrelated work from mine. I find it decidedly strange that people feel the need to congratulate one another on work anniversaries, as though the congratulatory is telling the congratulates that managing to keep a job for 12 months was an achievement for them.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '17 11:541 edit
    A thumb down within one minute of posting.
    Partisanship, funny stuff.

Ah Suzianne, of course 😵
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    24 Nov '17 20:23
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/jun/09/linkedin-is-the-worst-of-social-media-should-i-delete-my-account

What do people think of LinkedIn? Do you use it, in what way? I find it useful for job searching and reading the odd interesting article I come across by ...[text shortened]... telling the congratulates that managing to keep a job for 12 months was an achievement for them.
    As a business owner, I thought LinkedIn would help me with signing up clients. It's been a disappointment though. I can't see much value in it.
  4. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    24 Nov '17 20:32
    Almost as bad as facebook goole bing yahoo et al dataminig looking for fools
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '17 22:15
    Originally posted by @kquinn909
    Almost as bad as facebook goole bing yahoo et al dataminig looking for fools
    I just stick with RHP.

Job anyone?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Nov '17 09:24
    A thumb down within one minute of posting.
    Partisanship, funny stuff.

Ah Suzianne, of course 😵
    You know, there are better ways to get a girl's attention than by being a jackass to them.

Yeah, really.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Nov '17 09:38
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    You know, there are better ways to get a girl's attention than by being a jackass to them.

Yeah, really.
    Are you saying it wasn’t you?
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 14:32

What do people think of LinkedIn? Do you use it, in what way? I find it useful for job searching and reading the odd interesting article I come across by ...[text shortened]... telling the congratulates that managing to keep a job for 12 months was an achievement for them.
    When I'm hiring and come upon an interesting candidate, the first thing I do is seek out the candidate's Linkedin page. Not having a Linkedin page doesn't necessarily disqualify a candidate, but it's not considered a good sign, especially for a job that involved technology or social media activities.

The only think worse than no Linkedin page, of course, is a bad Linkedin page, which is a disqualification.

Good, bad or indifferent towards the platform, I strongly recommend that anyone seeking a lower or middle level white collar job invest some time to create and maintain a professional looking Linkedin page.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree