1. silicon valley
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 05:55
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1562733/apple-machines-reliable

Apple machines are less reliable
    So much for you get what you pay for
    By Nick Farrell
    Thursday, 19 November 2009, 10:34

DESPITE BEING MORE EXPENSIVE, Apple machines are actually less reliable than cheaper machines made by Asus, Toshiba and Sony.

A report by Squaretrade looked at records on more than 30,000 individual laptops in terms of reliability.

While kool-aid drinking Mac fans are brainwashed into believing that the extra money they spend on their toys buys them superior hardware, what the figures actually show is that their machines are less reliable than gear made by Asus, Toshiba and Sony.

At least they can be reassured that they are more reliable than machines from HP, but since they make most of their comparisons with kit from Dell, Apple fans will be disappointed that the two vendors are about the same in terms of reliability.

Laptops from Toshiba and Sony were nearly 40 per cent more reliable than those from HP.

2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 07:46
    Originally posted by zeeblebot

By Nick Farrell

DESPITE BEING MORE EXPENSIVE, Apple machines are actually less reliable than cheaper machines made by Asus, Toshiba and Sony.

A report by Squaretrade loo ...[text shortened]...
    Laptops from Toshiba and Sony were nearly 40 per cent more reliable than those from HP.

They're not called "Crap 'n' toss" for nothin'.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 07:54
    Are you saying my HP laptop is even worse than a Mac?!
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 08:09
    i have two hp desktops. on the last one, i noticed when i had to replace the fan that the old one matched the CHEAPEST fan (model and manuf) on a large display at the elctronicx superstore.
  5. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 15:202 edits
    Not mentioned were ease of support. Laptops break, yes, but the question is how easy it is to get them fixed when they do. It'd be interesting if their numbers covered the number of problems that actually got fixed under warranty.

I've had great experiences with HP support. Their support has been professional and quick.

I've had really bad experiences with Dell. Really really horrible with tens of hours on the support line without getting them to resolve or own the problem. And mine was one of the premium laptops mentioned.

Haven't had any experience with the others. Actually, my wife does have a Sony laptop which hasn't had much problems. It's slow as a turtle though...
  6. silicon valley
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 18:38
    maybe it's not a sony problem but a windows problem.

i did get the CD drive replaced pretty quick on my HP.

but later my OS crashed. it sat there for several months, and the week after the warranty expired i remembered to call tech support. who said that after warranty expiration all i could do would be do buy new OS discs and reinstall.
  7. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 19:06

By Nick Farrell

A report by Squaretrade loo ...[text shortened]...

I'm switching to Mac after using my wife's (the one I'm on now) and after buying a Toshiba. I had nothing but problems with the Toshiba. And regardless of brand every other PC I've ever owned was prone to bugs and crashes.

Thus far my wife's mac has worked like a charm with absolutely no problems or bugs. And the fit and finish just seems a lot nicer.

By the way, lately Apple has been dramatically increasing their laptop market share.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 19:13
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I'm switching to Mac after using my wife's (the one I'm on now) and after buying a Toshiba. I had nothing but problems with the Toshiba. And regardless of brand every other PC I've ever owned was prone to bugs and crashes.

Thus far my wife's mac has worked like a charm with absolutely no problems or bugs. And the fit and finish just seems a lot ...[text shortened]... r.

By the way, lately Apple has been dramatically increasing their laptop market share.
    You are really a stereotypical "liberal", aren't you? 😉
  9. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    30 Nov '09 19:28
    it sat there for several months, and the week after the warranty expired i remembered to call tech support. who said that after warranty expiration all i could do would be do buy new OS discs and reinstall.
    Yeah, Laptops are the only thing I buy extended warranties on, for just that reason.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree