Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    18 Oct '17 09:011 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/05/patrick-harmon-utah-police-shooting

    Police in Utah fatally shot a man from behind while he was running away from officers, according to newly released footage, which has sparked accusations of racial profiling and a “brutal execution”.

    Prosecutors in Salt Lake City have said officers were justified in killing Patrick Harmon, 50, who was pulled over for riding a bicycle without a light and who attempted to flee when police tried to arrest him. Police are not facing charges despite the fact that the body-camera footage captured officer Clinton Fox shouting “I’ll fu*king shoot you!” from a distance before he fired three bullets into Harmon, who was running in the opposite direction.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35846
    18 Oct '17 09:42
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/05/patrick-harmon-utah-police-shooting

    Police in Utah fatally shot a man from behind while he was running away from officers, according to newly released footage, which has sparked accusations of racial profiling and a “brutal execution”.

    Prosecutors in Salt Lake City have said officers were justified in k ...[text shortened]... a distance before he fired three bullets into Harmon, who was running in the opposite direction.
    And for you idiots in this forum who still don't get it, THIS is what the NFL players who kneel for the national anthem are protesting.

    Not just to disrespect the flag, or the anthem, or the military, or even the country, or any other bull$#&% reason the dotard president can dream up.

    They're protesting that we STILL live in a country where black lives clearly DON'T matter.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    18 Oct '17 10:00
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/05/patrick-harmon-utah-police-shooting

    Police in Utah fatally shot a man from behind while he was running away from officers, according to newly released footage, which has sparked accusations of racial profiling and a “brutal execution”.

    Prosecutors in Salt Lake City have said officers were justified in k ...[text shortened]... a distance before he fired three bullets into Harmon, who was running in the opposite direction.
    There was a black man in Utah?

    Obviously, fake news.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    18 Oct '17 10:011 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    And for you idiots in this forum who still don't get it, THIS is what the NFL players who kneel for the national anthem are protesting.

    Not just to disrespect the flag, or the anthem, or the military, or even the country, or any other bull$#&% reason the dotard president can dream up.

    They're protesting that we STILL live in a country where black lives clearly DON'T matter.
    So how many whitey vs. darky are shot by police officers? And what is the ratio of darky police officers who are doing the shooting?

    I would assume to make this a racist issue they are only targeting darkies.
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Joined
    25 Jun '06
    Moves
    64930
    18 Oct '17 10:131 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So how many whitey vs. darky are shot by police officers? And what is the ratio of darky police officers who are doing the shooting?

    I would assume to make this a racist issue they are only targeting darkies.
    Perhaps we need a racial profile of perpetrators of the great crime - riding a bicycle without lights.

    Or maybe it is time to move from race politics - or at least, identity politics and culture wars diversions - to class politics.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    18 Oct '17 11:56
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    Perhaps we need a racial profile of perpetrators of the great crime - riding a bicycle without lights.

    Or maybe it is time to move from race politics - or at least, identity politics and culture wars diversions - to class politics.
    Well if we are label all police shootings when blacks are targeted as race crimes, then we need to label the race of all involved, correct?

    The problem is, we are all such a mixture of various races, the only sane way to have a discussion is to label them whitey or darky. Perhaps we should also include brownie.

    It all gets confusing, much like labeling Zimmerman, who was a Hispanic, a whitey back in the day. Instead, he should have been called a brownie.
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Joined
    25 Jun '06
    Moves
    64930
    18 Oct '17 12:301 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Well if we are label all police shootings when blacks are targeted as race crimes, then we need to label the race of all involved, correct?

    The problem is, we are all such a mixture of various races, the only sane way to have a discussion is to label them whitey or darky. Perhaps we should also include brownie.

    It all gets confusing, much like labeli ...[text shortened]... n, who was a Hispanic, a whitey back in the day. Instead, he should have been called a brownie.
    You suffer from two delusions (among many).

    First - racism is an ideology and not a biological fact. The existence of biological race is neither here nor there to racism.

    Second - Americans will continue to see issues in terms of race but refuse to see the way class politics in the US has been racialised. In other words, as you rightly observe, the working class (White or Black or Asian or Other) are all harmed under capitalism, but they are also prevented from organising collectively because they are divided by racism. Racism is real and socialists (like the Southern Democrats of the New Deal) are often viciously racist, but the nature of class conflict will not be transformed on the basis of identity politics and endless, pointless culture wars, which give you the illusion of political debate and engagement when you are in fact disconnected entirely from power. Making Hillary Clinton president is absolutely not relevant to the needs and interests of working class women for example; making a few Black athletes rich is not in any way a remedy for racism. Black athletes may bravely give the knee to the national anthem, but they remain "Patriotic Americans" and sold on the "American Dream" which is an hallucination and Black soldiers will continue to take a bullet for Capitalism.
  8. Subscriberjoe shmo
    Strange Egg
    podunk, PA
    Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    7733
    18 Oct '17 12:32
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    Perhaps we need a racial profile of perpetrators of the great crime - riding a bicycle without lights.

    Or maybe it is time to move from race politics - or at least, identity politics and culture wars diversions - to class politics.
    He had an outstanding arrest warrant for aggravated assault. It’s not the “rainbows and unicorn” picture you are trying to paint with this post.
  9. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Joined
    25 Jun '06
    Moves
    64930
    18 Oct '17 12:38
    Originally posted by @joe-shmo
    He had an outstanding arrest warrant for aggravated assault. It’s not the “rainbows and unicorn” picture you are trying to paint with this post.
    Oh then - a warrant is as good as a conviction in the USA so go ahead - execute him in the street.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    18 Oct '17 12:46
    "Police are rarely charged and almost never convicted for use of force in the US, where the law generally allows officers to use lethal force if they claim that they perceived a threat."

    The officers in the article weren't charged either.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    18 Oct '17 12:47
    Originally posted by @joe-shmo
    He had an outstanding arrest warrant for aggravated assault. It’s not the “rainbows and unicorn” picture you are trying to paint with this post.
    So that justifies shooting someone in the back while they're running away?
  12. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    281453
    18 Oct '17 17:13
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleeing_felon_rule
  13. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Joined
    25 Jun '06
    Moves
    64930
    18 Oct '17 17:50
    Originally posted by @kquinn909
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleeing_felon_rule
    We know it's legally okay to use "deadly force" against fleeing suspects in the US. We just don't think that is a good thing.
  14. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    143878
    18 Oct '17 18:05
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/05/patrick-harmon-utah-police-shooting

    Police in Utah fatally shot a man from behind while he was running away from officers, according to newly released footage, which has sparked accusations of racial profiling and a “brutal execution”.

    Prosecutors in Salt Lake City have said officers were justified in k ...[text shortened]... a distance before he fired three bullets into Harmon, who was running in the opposite direction.
    The police officer said that had it been night time he would of shot him six times .
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    18 Oct '17 18:151 edit
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    You suffer from two delusions (among many).

    First - racism is an ideology and not a biological fact. The existence of biological race is neither here nor there to racism.

    Second - Americans will continue to see issues in terms of race but refuse to see the way class politics in the US has been racialised. In other words, as you rightly observe, the ...[text shortened]... eam" which is an hallucination and Black soldiers will continue to take a bullet for Capitalism.
    Americans see issues in terms of race? No, it appears that only the fringe sees issues in terms of race, like yourself.

    America elected a black man twice, yet America is racist?

    I don't think so, even though you do as well as the petulant media demands otherwise.
Back to Top