1. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 19:19
    What are your thoughts on Mandatory Military Service?
  2. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 19:24
    No.
  3. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 19:26
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    No.
    wow, you jumped out fast.
    I agree with you, I was wondering about people in countries that do have it. My Korean counter parts did, but they are living on the brink.
    What other countries do..and why?
  4. Pepperland
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 19:29
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    It is unnecessary, and wasteful.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 19:30
    I think it's an extreme measure that should not have been applied to Vietnam, but sometimes necessary e.g. WWII.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 19:31
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    It is unnecessary, and wasteful.
    You think an all volunteer army would have been equally effective in WWII for any of the participants?
  7. Pepperland
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 19:40
    wow, you jumped out fast.
    I agree with you, I was wondering about people in countries that do have it. My Korean counter parts did, but they are living on the brink.
    What other countries do..and why?
    I was wondering about people in countries that do have it.

They have it in Brazil, but I don't think people are very concerned about it.
    My experience is that if you live in a highly populated area there will be people who will want to join the army anyway, so as long as they get a reasonable number of people you just have to show up and say you're not interested and they'll let you go because there are many others who are legitimately interested.

but if you're unlucky enough to be selected Im not sure what you're supposed to do since it never happened to me or anyone I knew.
  8. Pepperland
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 19:42
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You think an all volunteer army would have been equally effective in WWII for any of the participants?
    Not at all, when I said it was "unnecessary and wasteful" I was referring to mandatory military service in general, but in times of war I would support it.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 19:49
    Here they have a suspended mandatory military service, i.e. there is no mandatory military service but the government can quickly reinstate it (if the Germans invade 😉 ). I'm fine with that in general although Holland doesn't really need an army for anything (an EU army would be more effective).
  10. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 20:10
    Absolutely No mandatory military service, or draft. The only ones to serve should be the true patriots who love their country ( don't ya just pity the fools ? ) and those with no future in civilian life and maybe think they can receive money from the VA for college before they get their brains splattered on their best friends face. The rest and best of us will continue to enjoy those chilli dogs at the Mall and maybe from time to time (perhaps after sucking the bong for a few days, and God knows what else) will say to ourselves, " Why hasn't Johnny gotten home yet?" Like, "When Johnny comes marching home from war".

GRANNY.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 20:38
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Absolutely No mandatory military service, or draft. The only ones to serve should be the true patriots who love their country ( don't ya just pity the fools ? ) and those with no future in civilian life and maybe think they can receive money from the VA for college before they get their brains splattered on their best friends face. The rest and best of us wi ...[text shortened]... n't Johnny gotten home yet?" Like, "When Johnny comes marching home from war".

GRANNY.
    And for World War type scenarios? Should the US military have been all-volunteer in those days?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 20:472 edits
    It completely overrides one of the most fundamental of all human principles, the right to exercise conscience. There are many thousands of persons, at this very moment, incarcerated because they have been denied the right to exercise their conscience and abstain from imposed military service.
  13. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 22:10
    And for World War type scenarios? Should the US military have been all-volunteer in those days?
    er ah, i was trying to be sarcastic. Trying to say if we going to fight a war every eligible citizen should be ready to serve.

GRANNY.
  14. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 22:20
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Absolutely No mandatory military service, or draft. The only ones to serve should be the true patriots who love their country ( don't ya just pity the fools ? ) and those with no future in civilian life and maybe think they can receive money from the VA for college before they get their brains splattered on their best friends face. The rest and best of us wi ...[text shortened]... n't Johnny gotten home yet?" Like, "When Johnny comes marching home from war".

GRANNY.
    Rec'd!
  15. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 22:39
    If the U.S. hadn't drafted in WWII, do you think they would have gotten enough volunteers? By the accounts I've read, I suspect they would have. But that stands in significant contrast to Vietnam.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree