1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 02:16
    Originally posted by bill718
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/04/corporate-profits_n_748889.html

For 30+ years all I've been hearing from the GOP is "we must lower taxes, and allow business's to make profits in order to stimulate the economy and create jobs" Well, the folks on Wall Street seem to be raking in massive profits in these dark economic times. so....

Where is all t ...[text shortened]... conomic theory going to translate into some job growth. Or was it all a pack of lies??!!😲
    There is only one thing to do. We must tax and spend our way back into good economic health.

In fact, Obama's wife said that he talks in his sleep and can often be heard saying, "Tax and spend, tax and spend, tax and spend".

Then all the jobs will magically appear at your door step.
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 02:59
    Originally posted by sh76
    Oh, please. You can like supply side economics or not, but Reagan's policies were put into effect in the early 1980s and for much of the time since then there's been near full employment. You can't look at one arbitrary point in time 30 years out from the implementation of a policy and then declare the policy a failure. There are many of specific reasons for th ...[text shortened]... ]including the failure of the current President to take steps that would reduce unemployment.
    Wait, what? Apart from a silly public works project where we pay millions of people to dig holes and fill them again, what obvious steps could Obama have taken?
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 03:09
    Originally posted by telerion
    Wait, what? Apart from a silly public works project where we pay millions of people to dig holes and fill them again, what obvious steps could Obama have taken?
    a massive public works project is actually a good thing to update america's crumbling infrastructure.

all obama really has to do is cut the military budget in half for a couple of years (he'll still be spending more than the next top 3-4 military spenders) and invested it all into national infrastructure.
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 03:18
    a sure fact is that the global unemployment will increase over time as technology replaces humans. when the human labor force becomes obsolete, all the laborers will become unemployed... that's a huge chunk of humans right there. soon after that, specialized skills will also be replaced. you don't need engineers when machines can measure and calculate more accurately. you don't need surgeons when machines can operate faster and safer... what will all these people be doing when there is no need for their talents?

they can't all be absorbed into the service industry...especially when computers are slowly replacing them as well. we can't all be thinkers, inventors and artists. besides, computers can create pretty impressive art based on mathematical algorithms these days.

the global elite's plan is to reduce human population to just about 500 million. will you become obsolete? i hope not. i know i will. machines can do what i do better and faster, all it takes is for someone to invent that specific machine.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 03:21
    Watch the movie 2001 to see what humans do to technology that tries to replace them.

It gets shanked!
  6. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 03:26
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Watch the movie 2001 to see what humans do to technology that tries to replace them.

It gets shanked!
    there's nothing wrong with technology replacing humans. it's only bad in a capitalist system where you have to struggle to survive both against nature and against the system. in a more rational system, technology replaces humans, humans are free to pursue other interests.
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 04:13
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    a sure fact is that the global unemployment will increase over time as technology replaces humans. when the human labor force becomes obsolete, all the laborers will become unemployed... that's a huge chunk of humans right there. soon after that, specialized skills will also be replaced. you don't need engineers when machines can measure and calculate ...[text shortened]... what i do better and faster, all it takes is for someone to invent that specific machine.
    Guess they'll enjoy how cheap everything is since machines do it all so much more efficiently.
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 04:17
    ...the global elite's plan is to reduce human population to just about 500 million.
    Whatever they're doing toward that end, they're doing it wrong.
  9. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 04:36
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Whatever they're doing toward that end, they're doing it wrong.
    it comes in steps. first you control the world's supply of water, food and energy, then you can cut it all off at once. they're almost there.
  10. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 04:37
    Guess they'll enjoy how cheap everything is since machines do it all so much more efficiently.
    if you see a car selling for $1.00, you can't buy it if you only have a nickle.
  11. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 05:22
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Something which is obviously already known to anyone who has spent more than three seconds studying the Scandinavian model...
    Agreed.
  12. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 05:23
    None. The Republicans barked, and he backed down. Otherwise, he would be doing what FDR did. What was necessary to rebuild infrastructure and restructure the economy. But the Republicans represent money which transcends US borders. They don't care that we will soon be a third world country.
  13. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 05:26
    a massive public works project is actually a good thing to update america's crumbling infrastructure.

all obama really has to do is cut the military budget in half for a couple of years (he'll still be spending more than the next top 3-4 military spenders) and invested it all into national infrastructure.
    He should have spent billions on building the alternative energy infrastructure, subsidizing R&D, and replacing the federal vehicles with hybrid cars. That would have helped.

And he should have muscled through a restructuring of the bailout to force the banks to expend a large percentage of the money they received on consumer and small business loans. But the Republicans barked, and he wimped out. Again. And again.
  14. Garner, NC
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 12:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    There is only one thing to do. We must tax and spend our way back into good economic health.

In fact, Obama's wife said that he talks in his sleep and can often be heard saying, "Tax and spend, tax and spend, tax and spend".

Then all the jobs will magically appear at your door step.
    My wife sells Tupperware and my neighbor's wife sells Pampered Chef products.

We've come up with a plan. We'll buy $100,000 per year of Pampered Chef products from our neighbors and they'll buy $100,000 per year of Tupperware from us. The result, we'll both be very prosperous. This is how you spend your way to prosperity and it is not far from how democrats want to run the nation.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 13:41
    I didn't say there were obvious steps. Obama was elected to fix the economy first and foremost. He plainly has not done that. Some things he should have done I can point to. Others its his job to figure out (or hire people who can). He still has a year to go, but at this point he has not done the job that he was elected to do and every excuse in the book (and oh, there will be plenty) does not change this immutable fact.

That doesn't mean he's a bad guy or even a bad President. But if the economy is still in this position in 15 months and the Republicans nominate an electable candidate, No1 may not be collecting that $50 from Uther after all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree