Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 May '18 23:47
    The right-wing British tabloid 'Daily Mail' has a notorious reputation for factual
    inaccuracy (to put it kindly), sensationalistic exaggeration, racism, and sexism.
    The 'Daily Mail' runs a tireless campaign of inciting bigotry and hate against Muslims.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5706289/Man-28-arrested-bludgeoning-renowned-professor-death-Brooklyn-home.html

"Muslim chess ace, 28, who 'beat and stabbed a renowned psychology
    professor, 66, to death at his $2.2 million home in Brooklyn - less than
    two years after he was arrested for trying to rape a tourist'"

Mirzo Atadzhanov is the supposed 'Muslim chess ace'.

First of all, what's supposed to be a 'chess ace'? 'Ace' is not a FIDE title.
    In air combat, an 'ace' is a pilot who has shot down at least five aircraft.
    Is a 'chess ace' supposed to be a player who has won at least five rated games?

I suppose that the ignorant 'Daily Mail' wanted to imply that he's a chess
    master (hence with a scheming mind, as Sherlock Holmes once said).

Here's the USCF record of Mirzo Atadzhanov:
    http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlMain.php?15650100

He has a provisional rating (based on 15 games) of 1847, making him USCF class A.
    He's not close to being a USCF master (2200+) or even a USCF expert (2000+).

"He was the top [chess] player in the Republic [Tajikstan]."
    --attributed to his mother

Would non-chess journalists be gullible enough to believe a proud mother?
    That claim is blatantly false.
    Tajikstan's top player is GM Farrukh Amonatov, rated 2608 FIDE. It also has 4 IMs.
    As far as I can find, Mirzo Atadzhanov is rated only 1892 FIDE, which
    would be lower than 40 players (not all active) in Tajikistan.
    A Tajik woman (WFM) is rated 2026 FiDE.

Regarding this inflammatory part "he was arrested for trying to rape a tourist"
    of the headline, the article concedes:
    "The charges against Atadzhanov did not stick, and were dropped at his arraignment."

The 'Daily Mail' loves to demonize Muslim men as the sexual predators of white women.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    09 May '18 06:52
    Don’t waste your breath on the tabloid press. It’s no secret that they will print any sensationalistic tripe to make a quick penny.
  3. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 May '18 07:05
    I’m a chess ace, and I have a score of 1300 or so (basically because I play as drunk as possible).

But, U have shot down 5 opponents. Just told them: “Let me win or next stop Hades.”
    They didn’t and they floated down the Styx.

Actually. Probably none of the above is true.
    Yet the Daily Mail published it anyway.

Nope. That’s not true either.
  4. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '18 08:11
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    I’m a chess ace, and I have a score of 1300 or so (basically because I play as drunk as possible).

But, U have shot down 5 opponents. Just told them: “Let me win or next stop Hades.”
    They didn’t and they floated down the Styx.

Actually. Probably none of the above is true.
    Yet the Daily Mail published it anyway.

Nope. That’s not true either.
    President Trump kicks butt.

That’s true - and you know it.

Nice!
  5. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    09 May '18 08:59
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    The right-wing British tabloid 'Daily Mail' has a notorious reputation for factual
    inaccuracy (to put it kindly), sensationalistic exaggeration, racism, and sexism.
    The 'Daily Mail' runs a tireless campaign of inciting bigotry and hate against Muslims.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5706289/Man-28-arrested-bludgeoning-renowned-professor-deat ...[text shortened]... nment."

The 'Daily Mail' loves to demonize Muslim men as the sexual predators of white women.
    The English Oxford Dictionary defines "ace" when used as an adjective as "very good".

That seems an accurate description of a Class A player to a non-chess audience (probably to a chess audience actually).
  6. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 May '18 14:45

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5706289/Man-28-arrested-bludgeoning-renowned-professor-deat ...[text shortened]... nment."

how old was muhammeds bride again?
  7. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    09 May '18 14:48
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    how old was muhammeds bride again?
    Who?
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 May '18 14:54
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Who?
    we can start with this one...

"The Prophet said, ‘Go and take any slave girl.’ He took Safiya bint Huyai. "
  9. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 May '18 15:572 edits

Yes, we know Duchess. The white man is always the racist, sexist villian, and everyone else is always the injured, innocent victims.

Let us all pray for the extinction of the evil white man from this planet! 😴
  10. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    09 May '18 18:40
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    we can start with this one...

"The Prophet said, ‘Go and take any slave girl.’ He took Safiya bint Huyai. "
    White American Christians were doing the same thing a millennium and a half later.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 May '18 20:003 edits
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    The English Oxford Dictionary defines "ace" when used as an adjective as "very good".

That seems an accurate description of a Class A player to a non-chess audience (probably to a chess audience actually).
    "The English Oxford Dictionary (sic) defines "ace" when used as an adjective as "very good"."
    --No1Marauder

1) It's well-known as the _Oxford English Dictionary_ (OED), not the 'English Oxford Dictionary'.
    (Would the ignorant No1Marauder like to look up his favorite acronym 'ACLE' in the OED?)
    2) The 'Daily Mail' used 'ace' as a noun, not an adjective.

The 'Daily Mail' quoted this claim without commenting that it's easily confirmed as blatantly false.
    "He [Mirzo Atadzhanov] was the top [chess] player in the Republic [Tajikstan]."
    --attributed to his mother

So it seems to me that the 'Daily Mail' aimed to imply, if not assert, that not only is
    Mirzo Atadzhanov 'very good' (No1Marauder's preferred 'accurate description' )
    compared to non-chess players, casual chess players, and average club players, but
    also the best players who would represent his country in international competition.
    An ignorant casual reader (who does not know how, like I do, to look up facts about chess)
    would likely conclude that Mirzo Atadzhanov's a player to be respected or feared by
    professional players in international chess competition.

My point is that when ignorant 'mainstream' (not necessarily tabloid) newspapers publish
    stories about something as non-mainstream as chess mastery, they usually are factually
    inaccurate or at least very misleading (which No1Marauder may prefer to deny).
    But No1Marauder prefers to derive his smug 'knowledge' of something as non-mainstream
    as diverse Asian American issues from only what the mainstream US media tells him.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 May '18 20:191 edit
    The FIDE women's world championship match is being held in China between two Chinese,
    FIDE world champion, GM Tan Zhongyi (rated 2522 FIDE) and challenger GM Ju Wenjun (rated 2571 FIDE).

The world's highest rated woman player, GM Hou Yifan (rated 2658 FIDE) is boycotting
    on account of FIDE's refusal to change the women's championship format to be the same
    as the open championship format. FIDE still insists on having the women's world championship
    determined every few years through a huge elimination tournament, while FIDE stopped
    doing that long ago for the open (men's) world championship.

Hou YIfan may be absent, but Ju Wenjun's the second highest rated woman player in the world.
    A sneering visitor (who almost certainly is much lower rated) to the ChessBase website
    recently described GM Ju Wenjun and GM Tan Zhongyi as playing like 'beginners',
    which only shows how sexism (perhaps racism too) can motivate absurd conclusions.
  13. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    09 May '18 20:29
    "The English Oxford Dictionary (sic) defines "ace" when used as an adjective as "very good"."
    --No1Marauder

1) It's well-known as the _Oxford English Dictionary_ (OED), not the 'English Oxford Dictionary'.
    (Would the ignorant No1Marauder like to look up his favorite acronym 'ACLE' in the OED?)
    2) The 'Daily Mail' used 'ace' as a noun, not an adject ...[text shortened]... -mainstream
    as diverse Asian American issues from only what the mainstream US media tells him.
    Thanks for the nitpick, but another standard meaning for "ace" as a noun is:

a person who is unusually good at doing something skillful:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/ace

or:

6 a : a person who excels at something a computer ace

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ace

Not vouching for the Mail, but your complaints about the word "ace" being used are incorrect, as well as kinda petty concerning the subject matter of the article i.e. a man's murder.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 May '18 20:554 edits
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Thanks for the nitpick, but another standard meaning for "ace" as a noun is:

a person who is unusually good at doing something skillful:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/ace

or:

6 a : a person who excels at something a computer ace

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ace

Not vouching for the Mail, but your ...[text shortened]... orrect, as well as kinda petty concerning the subject matter of the article i.e. a man's murder.
    As ever, No1Marauder's tirelessly disingenuous when struggling to avoid conceding errors.

"Thanks for the nitpick."
    --No1Marauder

No1Marauder's ignorance shows that he's unfamiliar with using the _Oxford English Dictionary_,
    which is regularly used by many scholars. It reminds me of someone who's unfamiliar
    with chess pointing to a knight and ignorantly asking, "How does the horsey move?"
    No1Marauder's ignorance, however, has not prevented him from sneering at scholars.

No1Marauder keeps being disingenuous in denying that the 'Daily Mail' was misleading.
    The issue (as I already pointed out) is the CONTEXT of Mirzo Atadzhanov's playing chess.
    No one would dispute that he's 'very good' at chess compared to most club players.
    (As an apparently weak player, No1Marauder seems too much in awe of USCF Class A players.)
    But other evidence (which No1Maruder prefers to ignore) in the article shows that the
    REAL CONTEXT seems to be Mirzo Atadzhanov playing at an international or professional level.

"He also boasts a keen interest in chess, and says he is both a professional player and a coach."
    --'Daily Mail' describing Mirzo Atadzhanov

"He was the top chess player in the Republic [Tajikstan]."
    --attributed to Mirzo Atadzhanov's mother

Is No1Marauder ignorant enough to believe that Mirzo Atadzhanov's 'very good' in chess at
    an international or professional level? (Should he be paid to coach the 'Queen of Katwe'?)

"...kinda petty concerning the subject matter of the article i.e. a man's murder."
    --No1Marauder

This is a chess website, so I focused upon the chess aspect of the story.
    If I write a post about Lenin as a chess player, No1Marauder may like to troll me for
    not discussing Lenin's record (which would fill up many books) in non-chess fields.
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    09 May '18 21:44
    As ever, No1Marauder's tirelessly disingenuous when struggling to avoid conceding errors.

"Thanks for the nitpick."
    --No1Marauder

No1Marauder's ignorance shows that he's unfamiliar with using the _Oxford English Dictionary_,
    which is regularly used by many scholars. It reminds me of someone who's unfamiliar
    with chess pointing to a knight and i ...[text shortened]... roll me for
    not discussing Lenin's record (which would fill up many books) in non-chess fields.
    Your usual petty insults aside, you just cannot abide by the idea you are simply wrong; the Mail's use of the term "chess ace" was accurate and your complaining about it incorrect.

Deal with it.

I'm hardly "in awe" of Class As, but I would describe them as being "very good" at chess (as most people would). I'm aware that you claim remarkable prowess in chess but you have never submitted any evidence to support such a claim and given your many hysterical inaccuracies and your posts here (which exhibit strong evidence of mental instability) you'll pardon me if I doubt that you are really sooooooooooooooooooooooooo superior to Class As as to look sneeringly down at them as you pretend to here.