Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 14 Nov '13 15:53 / 1 edit
    Obamacare:

Should people have choices or should people be forced into government's plan?

For Obamacare to work you must have enough people buying the new insurance policies. How do you do this? Do you make a better product that people will want to buy? Do you offer something then create a monopoly by declaring the other options illegal?

Using the power of government to drive out competition so that your new exchange can monopolize the market.

Way to go Obama. Way to take the next step in the FDR tradition.
  2. 14 Nov '13 16:04
    People should have the option of additional private health care in addition to public health care, free of charge.
  3. 14 Nov '13 16:10
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    People should have the option of additional private health care in addition to public health care, free of charge.
    Do you agree that the road the Democrats used to bring about Obamacare was a misuse of the power of government?
  4. 14 Nov '13 16:17
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Do you agree that the road the Democrats used to bring about Obamacare was a misuse of the power of government?
    I don't see anything remarkable in that process; the legislation was passed with a solid majority in Congress. I disagree with the plan, although it is possible that it is an improvement over the old (and woefully awful) system.
  5. 14 Nov '13 16:20
    I don't see anything remarkable in that process; the legislation was passed with a solid majority in Congress. I disagree with the plan, although it is possible that it is an improvement over the old (and woefully awful) system.
    You see nothing wrong with using the power of government to force competitors out of a market so that your product is the only available product?
  6. 14 Nov '13 16:30
    You see nothing wrong with using the power of government to force competitors out of a market so that your product is the only available product?
    I have no issue with private security in addition to police and army protection, private roads in addition to public infrastructure, private education in addition to free public education, private health care in addition to free public health care, etc. Such private initiatives can supplement public services where needed, and highlight inadequacies in the public services.
  7. 14 Nov '13 16:31
    OK, I asked twice. I can see you are not willing to actually answer my question. A simple yes or no would do.
  8. 15 Nov '13 00:16
    I have no issue with private security in addition to police and army protection, private roads in addition to public infrastructure, private education in addition to free public education, private health care in addition to free public health care, etc. Such private initiatives can supplement public services where needed, and highlight inadequacies in the public services.
    Public education is not free. Public healthcare systems are also not free. Teachers, doctors, nurses, school administrators, janitors. None of them are working for free.
  9. 15 Nov '13 03:27
    Obamacare:

For Obamacare to work you must have enough people buying the new insurance policies. How do you do this? Do you make a better product that people will want to buy? Do you offer something then create a monopoly by declaring the other options illegal?

Using the ...[text shortened]... an monopolize the market.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson
  10. 15 Nov '13 03:37
    Obamacare:

Using the ...[text shortened]... an monopolize the market.

In a nation which celebrated the free market, and thus prospered it is strange, but in the current America it is what we expect.
  11. 15 Nov '13 03:42
    What an opportunity for advocates of government provided stuff to demonstrate its superiority by head to head competition with the private sector? Instead they revoke what small amount of free market choice that is left, and monopolize health care, hiring 15,000 additional IRS agents to assist the public in understanding the government benevolence.
  12. 15 Nov '13 06:15
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Public education is not free. Public healthcare systems are also not free. Teachers, doctors, nurses, school administrators, janitors. None of them are working for free.
    Thanks for pointing this out, Sherlock. I have another pressing issue you might be able to assist me with: what's 1+1?
  13. 15 Nov '13 22:17 / 1 edit
    Actually, as a physician, I did work for free, for those without means to pay.
    30 years of it.
    But, let me post these stats, which I read today, from the economiccollapseblog.com under the heading: Obama’s Secret Treaty Which Will Merge America More Deeply Into The Emerging One World Economic System, and see if they get any comment re : The Misuse of the Power of the Government:
    "-Overall, the United States has run a trade deficit of more than 8 trillion dollars with the rest of the world since 1975.

-The United States has lost more than 56,000 manufacturing facilities since 2001.

-Back in the year 2000, there were more than 17 million Americans working in manufacturing. Now there are less than 12 million.

-There are less Americans working in manufacturing today than there was in 1950 even though the population of the country has more than doubled since then.

-Back in 1950, more than 80 percent of all men in the United States had jobs. Today, less than 65 percent of all men in the United States have jobs.

-When NAFTA was pushed through Congress in 1993, the United States had a trade surplus with Mexico of 1.6 billion dollars. By 2010, we had a trade deficit with Mexico of 61.6 billion dollars.

-Back in 1985, our trade deficit with China was approximately 6 million dollars (million with a little "m" ) for the entire year. In 2012, our trade deficit with China was 315 billion dollars. That was the largest trade deficit that one nation has had with another nation in the history of the world."
  14. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    15 Nov '13 22:45
    Hehe, "free of charge" hehehe, don't you need a grouding in logic to get a grip on physics.
  15. Standard member Soothfast
    15 Nov '13 23:58
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Hehe, "free of charge" hehehe, don't you need a grouding in logic to get a grip on physics.
    Well, listen, dumbledore, I know your avatar is wearing a cast-iron helmet designed to deflect all incoming logic rays from Planet Commonsense, but generally it's understood that when someone says "free of charge" in the present context, it's meant to mean "free of any additional charge beyond what the individual paid in taxes."