1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 21:30
    Leaving the world of partisan politics for awhile, I was wondering if there are any self employed people here who occasionally have issues motivating themselves to work when there is no boss around to make sure they do. I have a growing business doing insurance verification and billing for doctors, but there are times when the thought of going door to door and handing out business cards or the beloved cold calls is not very appealing, though I know this is what needs to be done to build my client base. What do some of you self employed folks do to motivate yourself to work when you don't feel like it?
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 21:541 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Leaving the world of partisan politics for awhile, I was wondering if there are any self employed people here who occasionally have issues motivating themselves to work when there is no boss around to make sure they do. I have a growing business doing insurance verification and billing for doctors, but there are times when the thought of going door to door a ...[text shortened]... do some of you self employed folks do to motivate yourself to work when you don't feel like it?
    While my "main" job is for an organization, I have a partnership that's my "side" job. I'm not the marketing side, so I can't really speak to things like cold calls and pavement pounding, but I do have plenty of dreary, tedious things that need to be done.

My strategy is to work in bursts. I might sit down one day after supper at 6:30 and say "I'm going to do <almost impossible task> by 10. Then, if I'm done by 10 I get to goof off the next night or something. Just getting yourself started builds momentum. Once you get rolling on something, it almost always seems more manageable than it seemed before you started. Set short term goals and give yourself some sort of reward for accomplishing something.

Also when you're alone, do things to get your juices flowing. Use a standing desk. Walk around the room or up and down the halls while on the phone. Take a walk during lunch. Keep a 20 lb dumbell on your desk and do curls when thinking to keep your muscles in motion. Vary your tasks to keep your mind engaged. Take breaks but limit them to x minutes and be firm about the limits.

Above all, stay positive. You're growing your business. You're a successful entrepreneur. You're contributing to the economy and your own and your family's future security.You're a one-man force and your clients need your services for their convenience and to operate most efficiently.

Now, go out and win one for the Gipper!
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    12 Aug '17 00:19
    Originally posted by @sh76
    While my "main" job is for an organization, I have a partnership that's my "side" job. I'm not the marketing side, so I can't really speak to things like cold calls and pavement pounding, but I do have plenty of dreary, tedious things that need to be done.

My strategy is to work in bursts. I might sit down one day after supper at 6:30 and say "I'm going to ...[text shortened]... or their convenience and to operate most efficiently.

If that fails, well why not go on RHP and join a debate? The hours will fly...
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Aug '17 18:19
    Originally posted by @sh76

My strategy is to work in bursts. I might sit down one day after supper at 6:30 and say "I'm going to ...[text shortened]... or their convenience and to operate most efficiently.

Many Thanks 🙂
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '17 20:161 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Leaving the world of partisan politics for awhile, I was wondering if there are any self employed people here who occasionally have issues motivating themselves to work when there is no boss around to make sure they do. I have a growing business doing insurance verification and billing for doctors, but there are times when the thought of going door to door a ...[text shortened]... do some of you self employed folks do to motivate yourself to work when you don't feel like it?
    Build a website. I taught myself CSS3 and HTML5 and built a simple website by doing online courses and watching instructive videos. About 90% of my new business now comes through the net. I occasionally get calls from SEO (search engine optimisation) companies asking if I would like to be on page one of googles search pages. I remind them that not only am I on page one, I am at the top of page one for my geo location. 🙂
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Aug '17 02:02
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    If that fails, well why not go on RHP and join a debate? The hours will fly...
    Hence limiting breaks to "x minutes." 😉
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '17 02:04
    Have a passion for what you do and believe that what you are doing is important.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree