1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 05:51
    “The Restless Wave,” John McCain’s recently published book written with Mark Salter, concludes with a statement he characterized as “work that needs finishing.” Here is that statement:

My fellow Americans. No association ever mattered more to me. We’re not always right. We’re impetuous and impatient, and rush into things without knowing what we’re really doing. We argue over little differences endlessly, and exaggerate them into lasting breaches. We can be selfish, and quick sometimes to shift the blame for our mistakes to others. But our country ‘tis of thee.‘ What great good we’ve done in the world, so much more good than harm. We served ourselves, of course, but we helped make others free, safe and prosperous because we weren’t threatened by other people’s liberty and success. We need each other. We need friends in the world, and they need us. The bell tolls for us, my friends, Humanity counts on us, and we ought to take measured pride in that. We have not been an island. We were ‘involved in mankind.‘

“Before I leave, I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations. I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it. Whether we think each other right or wrong in our views on the issues of the day, we owe each other our respect, as long as our character merits respect, and as long as we share, for all our differences, for all the rancorous debates that enliven and sometimes demean our politics, a mutual devotion to the ideals our nation was conceived to uphold, that all are created equal, and liberty and equal justice are the natural rights of all. Those rights inhabit the human heart, and from there, though they may be assailed, they can never be wrenched. I want to urge Americans, for as long as I can, to remember that this shared devotion to human rights is our truest heritage and our most important loyalty.

“Then I would like to go back to our valley, and see the creek run after the rain, and here the cottonwoods whisper in the wind. I want to smell the rose-scented breeze and feel the sun on my shoulders. I want to watch the hawks hunt from the sycamore. And then take my leave, bound for a place near my old friend Chuck Larson in the cemetery on the Severn, back where it began.”

“‘The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it,’ spoke my hero, Robert Jordan, in [Ernest Hemingway’s] ‘For Whom the Bell Tolls.‘ And I do, too. I hate to leave it. But I don’t have a complaint. Not one. It’s been quite a ride. I’ve known great passions, seen amazing wonders, fought in a war, and helped make a peace. I’ve lived very well and I’ve been deprived of all comforts. I’ve been as lonely as a person can be and I‘ve enjoyed the company of heroes. I’ve suffered the deepest despair and experienced the highest exultation. I made a small place for myself in the story of America and the history of my times.

“I leave behind a loving wife, who is devoted to protecting the world’s most vulnerable, and seven great kids, who grew up to be fine men and women. I wish I had spent more time in their company. But I know they will go on to make their time count, and be of useful service to their beliefs, and to their fellow human beings. Their love for me and mine for them is the last strength I have.

“What an ingrate I would be to curse the fate that concludes the blessed life I’ve led. I prefer to give thanks for those blessings, and my love to the people who blessed me with theirs. The bell tolls for me. I knew it would. So I tried, as best I could, to stay a ‘part of the main.‘ I hope those who mourn my passing, and even those who don’t, will celebrate as I celebrate a happy life lived in imperfect service to a country made of ideals, whose continued service is the hope of the world. And I wish all of you great adventures, good company, and lives as lucky as mine.”
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 07:271 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    “The Restless Wave,” John McCain’s recently published book written with Mark Salter, concludes with a statement he characterized as “work that needs finishing.” Here is that statement:

My fellow Americans. No association ever mattered more to me. We’re not always right. We’re impetuous and impatient, and rush into things without knowing what w ...[text shortened]... of the world. And I wish all of you great adventures, good company, and lives as lucky as mine.”
    Senator McCain’s plan for his funeral — that he be eulogized by both George W. Bush and Barack Obama, the two presidents from opposing political parties who vanquished him in his runs for the White House underscores his sincere wish to unite a deeply divided America. Senator John McCain, in death is performing the unifying function that our self obsessed, and disrespectful current president is congenitally incapable of performing.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 11:41
    Originally posted by @divegeester

My fellow Americans. No association ever mattered more to me. We’re not always right. We’re impetuous and impatient, and rush into things without knowing what w ...[text shortened]... of the world. And I wish all of you great adventures, good company, and lives as lucky as mine.”
    A fitting and well-spoken goodbye.

I hope to God that he's not the last of his kind, for all our sakes.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 12:321 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    A fitting and well-spoken goodbye.

I hope to God that he's not the last of his kind, for all our sakes.
    You will be pleased to know that McCain is not the last of his kind, there are a lot, lot, lot more.

In fact, there is still what is left of the Keating 5, Alan Cranston (Democrat of California), Dennis DeConcini (Democrat of Arizona), John Glenn (Democrat of Ohio), John McCain (Republican of Arizona), and Donald W. Riegle, Jr. (Democrat of Michigan)—although I think John Glenn has passed away.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 13:271 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    You will be pleased to know that McCain is not the last of his kind, there are a lot, lot, lot more.

In fact, there is still what is left of the Keating 5, Alan Cranston (Democrat of California), Dennis DeConcini (Democrat of Arizona), John Glenn (Democrat of Ohio), John McCain (Republican of Arizona), and Donald W. Riegle, Jr. (Democrat of Michigan)—although I think John Glenn has passed away.
    Seriously, dude.

Just get away from me before I vomit.

Your heart is like a BB in a thimble. Zero empathy.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 17:45

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 20:54
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    So did whodey.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 21:17
    Ok, Ok, I'll say a good work about John.

He was the best damned democrat in US history.
  9. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 21:34
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    So did whodey.
    Whodey fell off the back of a hay wagon.

But that was his birthday !! 😀
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Aug '18 10:421 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    And John Glenn (who served in the Senate from 1974 until 1999) died in 2016.

Well, whodey, does it make you all giggly now that three of the five are gone?

(And before I forget -- thank you, divegeester, for posting that excerpt from his book.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree