1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 21:081 edit
    I got this idea after confronting another forum member on this issue. Can we all agree that both sides use unfair and unfounded smears? I'd like to do a little exercise to help us remove our partisan blinders.

If you are an avid Democrat and or Liberal, or an avid Republican and/or Conservative... name an unfair smear your party or candidate (or political talking head) used on an opposing member. I'll start.

Barack Obama repeatedly said, "John McCain thinks someone making five million dollars per year is middle class." The truth is McCain said that as a joke, and after the laughter subsided he then said, "But seriously..." (as per factcheck.org).

*Some* on Dailykos.com made diaries describing McCain as a wreckless hotshot who crashed multiple planes due to neglegence. Again, factcheck.org debunked those claims and I (and others on Dailykos) opposed anyone who tried to use that smear.

So let's all of us, Democrats and Republicans alike recognize ugliness appears on both sides. And let's clean up our own back yards.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 21:09
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I got this idea after confronting another forum member on this issue. Can we all agree that both sides use unfair and unfounded smears? I'd like to do a little exercise to help us remove our partisan blinders.

If you are an avid Democrat and or Liberal, or an avid Republican and/or Conservative... name an unfair smear your party or candidate (o ...[text shortened]... s alike recognize ugliness appears on both sides. And let's clean up our own back yards.
    "Death panels" was a fairly substantial whopper.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 08:58
    I can't really think of anything... but "smearing" is not really part of Dutch political culture.
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 11:25
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I can't really think of anything... but "smearing" is not really part of Dutch political culture.
    If only the American political arena were more like the Dutch
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 11:301 edit
    I think you already have some of these over there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pim_Fortuyn

Some are Republican congressmen requesting for gay sex in airports'
    restrooms... some others host The Rush Limbaugh Show.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 11:44
    Originally posted by sh76
    "Death panels" was a fairly substantial whopper.
    I did until I heard what Robert Reich had to say about health care. Now I'm not so sure.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 11:59
    Well, it also depends on the party you look at... Christian Democrats used the Kerry flipflop-card (though in a more subtle way than in the Kerry/Bush electoral campaign, obviously) against Labour Party leader Bos in the 2006 general election and the electorate fell for it like a bunch of morons.
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 12:02
    Originally posted by whodey
    I did until I heard what Robert Reich had to say about health care. Now I'm not so sure.
    It's either in the bill or it's not. What someone says is completely irrelevant.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 12:581 edit
    as a centrist, I'll focus on defending a few "extremists" who are sometimes too easy to attack.

1. While I believe she was a flawed VP candidate (or was at least woefully unprepared), Sarah Palin has become little more than a target for those seeking comic relief. One irony was that famous video of her speaking to reporters while a turkey was being slaughtered in the background. When I focused on her speech instead of the background, she sounded like she knew what she was talking about. But no one cared about that part.

2. Michele Bachman is another person that is regularly used by the media as target practice. I'm sure she really isn't the Wicked Witch of Minnesota but that's pretty much the gist of what you ever hear about her.

3. Michael Moore is regularly used by the right wing as target practice. I'm sure he really isn't a secret Communist agent sent by Castro to undermine America. He does raise some legitimate issues. But I could be wrong about both of these.

4. I like Joe Scarborough on MSNBC's Morning Joe, but it drives me nuts whenever he refers to Nancy Pelosi "calling the town hall protesters unamerican". She was referring to those people who were purposely disrupting things so that no one else could be heard. And I'm sure Scarborough knows it.
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 16:14
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    as a centrist, I'll focus on defending a few "extremists" who are sometimes too easy to attack.

4. I like Joe Scarborough on MSNBC's Morning Joe, but it drives me nuts whenever he refers to Nancy Pelosi "calling the town hall protesters unamerican". She was referring to those people who were purposely disrupting things so that no one else could be heard. And I'm sure Scarborough knows it.
    clinton started the disruptions ... with the cigarette mascot sent to bait president bush the elder on the campaign tray .... as far as i can remember, maybe someone else started it before that 🙂.
  11. silicon valley
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 16:16
    larry craig .... people gotta find love somewhere ... if gays weren't forced in the closet he wouldn't have to frequent restrooms ...
  12. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 23:49
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    larry craig .... people gotta find love somewhere ... if gays weren't forced in the closet he wouldn't have to frequent restrooms ...
    You can't break away from partisanship for even a second, can you.

Is there any smears that came from Republicans that you felt were unfounded and/or unfair?
  13. silicon valley
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 23:56
    You can't break away from partisanship for even a second, can you.

Is there any smears that came from Republicans that you felt were unfounded and/or unfair?
    i'm not a republican!
  14. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 23:59
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    i'm not a republican!
    You left out where I included "and/or Conservative"

Regardless of how you choose to label yourself, is there?
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    21 Oct '09 02:31

If you are an avid Democrat and or Liberal, or an avid Republican and/or Conservative... name an unfair smear your party or candidate (o ...[text shortened]... s alike recognize ugliness appears on both sides. And let's clean up our own back yards.
    What if you're neither significantly in either camp? Am I allowed to acknowledge that everyone else is wrong?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree