1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 00:39
    https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97350149

A little late, I know, but it just goes to show how government lied to us about it. Wilson was sending the UK arms, and as such, it was a legitimate military target.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 00:431 edit
    Reminds me of how LBJ made up a story of American ships being attacked by Vietnam to justify entering the war.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/02/vietnam-presidents-lie-to-wage-war-Iraq

Then we have "W" and his "WMD" claim in Iraq.

And we can never forget Obama and the UN claiming that they needed to save lives in Libya that were threatened by Gaddafi.

Is this just business as usual?

And let's suppose Trump has told a billion lies. Are any of them as bad that cause such death and misery?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 00:55
    @whodey said

A little late, I know, but it just goes to show how government lied to us about it. Wilson was sending the UK arms, and as such, it was a legitimate military target.
    Your article is 10 years old and it was known well before that the Lusitania was
    carrying arms. The British tried to cover this up by depth-charging the wreck.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 02:20
    @whodey said

A little late, I know-

Whodey, this happened on Friday, 7 May 1915. That's more than a LITTLE late.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 08:421 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    Your article is 10 years old and it was known well before that the Lusitania was
    carrying arms. The British tried to cover this up by depth-charging the wreck.
    And yet it's still being used, amusingly enough mostly by people from whodey's own side, as an argument how Germans are Always Chaotic Evil and how The Kaiser was a proto-Hitler and Germany in WWI was already the Nazis, really. So the more it gets admitted that in WWI (and in stark contrast to WWII) the Allies were the bad guys just as much as the Axis, the better.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 10:01
    @whodey said

There was no reason to enter the war unless the USA became a puppet of the British Empire. Then it makes sense.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 12:13
    @metal-brain said
    There was no reason to enter the war unless the USA became a puppet of the British Empire. Then it makes sense.
    Of course, and the Zimmerman telegram had nothing to do with it.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 17:37
    @shallow-blue said
    And yet it's still being used, amusingly enough mostly by people from whodey's own side, as an argument how Germans are Always Chaotic Evil and how The Kaiser was a proto-Hitler and Germany in WWI was already the Nazis, really. So the more it gets admitted that in WWI (and in stark contrast to WWII) the Allies were the bad guys just as much as the Axis, the better.
    Actually I suspect it's the opposite - they are Nazi sympathizers who want to repair Germany's reputation.
  9. RSA
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 18:33
    @shallow-blue said
    And yet it's still being used, amusingly enough mostly by people from whodey's own side

Who is on whodey's "side"? Each person is unique, and has their own opinions.

So the more it gets admitted that in WWI (and in stark contrast to WWII) the Allies were the bad guys just as much as the Axis, the better.

A. Germany attacked Belgium, a neutral country, and subsequently committed war crimes, known as "the Rape of Belgium". Britain had guaranteed Belgian independence since the Treaty of London,1839. Germany attacked Belgium being perfectly aware of the repercussions (a British entry into the war) - Prussia had even signed the Treaty of London themselves.
    B. Germany broke the Hague conventions by using chemical weapons (chlorine gas). If they had not, a chemical war would have been avoided.
    C. Germany spitefully destroyed anything left in northern France when their army was finally being routed.
    D. Germany and its allies were known as the Central Powers during WW1, not the Axis.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 18:45
    @ashiitaka said
    And yet it's still being used, amusingly enough mostly by people from whodey's own side

Who is on whodey's "side"? Each person is unique, and has their own opinions.

So the more it gets admitted that in WWI (and in stark contrast to WWII) the Allies were the bad guys just as much as the Axis, the better.

A. Germany attacked Belgium, a neutral country ...[text shortened]... being routed.
    D. Germany and its allies were known as the Central Powers during WW1, not the Axis.
    I agree with points A and D, I have no comment on C (I don't know). Regarding B I'd replace the word "would" with "could", I don't think it's guaranteed.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 19:23
    @metal-brain said
    You mean the other way 'round, I'm sure. Airstrip One, remember?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 19:54

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 20:46
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That is true. However in the USA today the people sending propaganda to whodey (which he always repeats here) tend to be Christian Identity Nazi sympathizers.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 22:04

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 22:28
    @whodey said

And let's suppose Trump has told a billion lies. Are any of them as bad that cause such death and misery?
    Whodey, I'm beginning to suspect you are quite the Donald Trump fan!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree