1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 11:021 edit
    Obama is one of four presidents to have newly discovered species of fish named after them for their green credentials.

He already had the presidential seal. Now comes the presidential fish. Researchers have named a newly discovered species of freshwater fish after Barack Obama.

The honour may not have quite the heft of the Nobel peace prize that Obama picked up at the start of his first term. And it doesn't convey the sheer raw power that goes with riding in Air Force One. But it does put the Obama brand on an all-American fish, and it also puts him in good company.

The researchers named the five newly discovered species of the darter – the smallest member of the perch family – after four presidents and one vice-president. All but one are Democrats, like Obama.

The darter, which packs a lot of colour into its fairly diminutive dimensions – males are mostly under 50mm in length – spends its life in the fast-moving freshwater rivers and creeks that are the veins of America.

It gets it name from its ability to get around rocks and other obstacles on the bottom of waterways. Most darters live in the creeks of northern Alabama and eastern Tennessee, not typically hospitable terrain for Democrats.

None of them currently warrant protected status.

The researchers, Steve Layman from Geosyntec Consultants in Georgia and Rick Mayden from Saint Louis University, came across the first new species in the Duck and Buffalo rivers of the Tennessee river drainage, according to Scientific American's Running Ponies blog.

Etheostoma Obama, is a relatively skinny orange and blue speckled fish topped by a brilliant fan-shaped fin, with bold orange stripes. Males grow up to 48mm long. The scientists told Scientific American they wanted to honour Obama's environmental leadership.

"We chose President Obama for his environmental leadership, particularly in the areas of clean energy and environmental protection, and because he is one of our first leaders to approach conservation and environmental protection from a more global vision," Layman said.

Other honourees were also chosen for their environmental credentials: Teddy Roosevelt for setting aside vast areas of wilderness for national monuments and parks; Jimmy Carter, for his energy policy and humanitarian work in his post-presidential career; Bill Clinton, for wilderness preservation; and Al Gore, the sole vice-president on the list, both for his environmental work and his status as a Tennessee native, like the darter.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/nov/29/fish-barack-obama-presidents

Shouldn't unemployment be Obama's priority rather than stuff like "newly discovered species of fish"?
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 11:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    Shouldn't unemployment be Obama's priority rather than stuff like "newly discovered species of fish"?
    What are you on about? I seriously doubt Obama requested to have a fish named after him.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 11:38
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    What are you on about? I seriously doubt Obama requested to have a fish named after him.
    I second this...

This is just the kind of fluff that happens to you if you are president.

I mean he probably found out about this in a morning briefing where his press secretary says
    "Oh and by the way a bunch of scientists have named a fish after you today..."
  4. Germany
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 13:11
    It's amazing that Obama, with all the energy and time he has spent to desperately try to get diplomatic personnel killed, still has had time left for fish-naming.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 13:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    Obama is one of four presidents to have newly discovered species of fish named after them for their green credentials.

[quote]He already had the presidential seal. Now comes the presidential fish. Researchers have named a newly discovered species of freshwater fish after Barack Obama.

The honour may not have quite the heft of the Nobel peace prize that Oba ...[text shortened]... ployment be Obama's priority rather than stuff like "newly discovered species of fish"?
    Nonsense. The American people have overwhelmingly agreed that the economy is just fine this last election. The President should spend his time trying to name more animals/insects/fish/bacteria and other assorted living organisms.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 13:53
    Originally posted by FMF

[quote]He already had the presidential seal. Now comes the presidential fish. Researchers have named a newly discovered species of freshwater fish after Barack Obama.

The honour may not have quite the heft of the Nobel peace prize that Oba ...[text shortened]... ployment be Obama's priority rather than stuff like "newly discovered species of fish"?
    Only if he's a homocentrist. Perhaps the President is a believer in working on the unemployment rates of all species. I'll bet you never considered that possibility.

I heard that this name change will come with a decrease in class sizes for the schools of fish.
  7. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 19:00
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It's amazing that Obama, with all the energy and time he has spent to desperately try to get diplomatic personnel killed, still has had time left for fish-naming.
    It's amazing that you could joke about diplomatic personnel getting killed.
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 21:061 edit
    So true. Also, do not forget about all the time he is spending trying to weaken America in the world.
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 21:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yeah, but he might really find the fish tasty.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 21:12
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    It's amazing that you could joke about diplomatic personnel getting killed.
    It's amazing that you could complain about jokes about diplomatic personnel getting killed while also opposing measures that would save millions of people.
  11. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 21:15
    It's amazing that you could complain about jokes about diplomatic personnel getting killed while also opposing measures that would save millions of people.
    So you're going to distort, grossly oversimplify, and outright lie about what I've said to try and score cheap points. OK - just so we're clear.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 09:27
    I bet they named it Obama because it was colored.
  13. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 14:20
    Originally posted by FMF

Mushroom walks into a bar. Bartender say, "Get out! We don't serve your kind.". Mushroom says, "Why not? I'm a fungi..."
  14. Germany
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 14:30
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    So you're going to distort, grossly oversimplify, and outright lie about what I've said to try and score cheap points. OK - just so we're clear.
    What did I lie about?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree