1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '09 16:01
    Published on Thursday, March 19, 2009 by KSBW (California)
    Policy Shift Good News for Medical Marijuana Advocates
    Dozens of Dispensaries Raided Under Old Policy

SALINAS, Calif. - Attorney general Eric Holder announced Wednesday that federal agents will no longer go after marijuana distributors that comply with state law.

Whole article here...
    http://www.ksbw.com/news/18964198/detail.html

Is this further evidence that, in Obama's hands, America is now clearly heading in the wrong direction?
  2. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    23 Mar '09 16:13
    not necessrily. don't think so. limited law enforcement resources need to be going towards other priorities. biggest threat now is Mexican organized crime. this policy seems to signal a shift towards making states more active in the lower echelons of drug crime while reserving fed resources to where there is a distinct gap. suspect this is an effort to forestall demands by states at the border for involving US military directly. having some experience in how law enforcement resources are divvied up, I'm making some analogies in my mind to how we Fed enviromental enforcement types at HQ allocate resources as between our Regional office enforcement programs, which do the actual legwork, and the States, who do the majority of all environmental enforcement. I don't think the analogy holds up perfectly, but I think it almost always boils down to resources -- numbers of bodies and amount of funds -- when you talk about a given area of law enforcement.

Where Administration is going off the wrong way may be signaled by Krugman's column today decrying the Treasury's plan to buy up toxic assets -- Paulson's plan with a few tweaks. Krugman thinks taking over the insolvent banks and straightening them out as was done in the Savings and Loan scandal 20-odd yrs ago is a better way to go.

Don't know. He may be right.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    23 Mar '09 16:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Policy Shift Good News for Medical Marijuana Advocates

SALINAS, Calif. - Attorney general Eric Holder announced Wednesday that federal agents will no longer go after marijuana distributors that comply with state law.

Whole articl ...[text shortened]... further evidence that, in Obama's hands, America is now clearly heading in the wrong direction?[/b]
    Surely everyone wants marijuana legalised???
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '09 20:07
    The Obama administration did not start out with a states rights approach. Obama started out wrong. This is a change in direction.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/healthNewsMolt/idUKTRE5140GO20090205
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 Mar '09 20:41
    Psst inalienable right to pursue happiness...inalienable right to one's own body.
  6. Pepperland
    Moves
    23 Mar '09 21:32
    Originally posted by FMF

Whole articl ...[text shortened]... further evidence that, in Obama's hands, America is now clearly heading in the wrong direction?[/b]
    Is this further evidence that, in Obama's hands, America is now clearly heading in the wrong direction?

Maybe America in Obama's hands is going in the wrong direction, but I don't think it is because of his policy on marijuana.

I actually think he should legalise the recreational use marijuana as well.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    23 Mar '09 21:51
    Cannabis should be legalized.
  8. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 00:481 edit
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    not necessrily. don't think so. limited law enforcement resources need to be going towards other priorities. biggest threat now is Mexican organized crime. this policy seems to signal a shift towards making states more active in the lower echelons of drug crime while reserving fed resources to where there is a distinct gap. suspect this is an effort to fore gs and Loan scandal 20-odd yrs ago is a better way to go.

Don't know. He may be right.
    Nationalizing the banks is probably a better idea, but it's too politically risky due to inconsistent support from the public. So we need to hope that either the Obama administration's current approach is sufficient, or/and that more people lean towards accepting nationalizing of banks.

Edit: this is an example of where FDR's "Well, you've convinced *me*. Now go out and put pressure on me" would apply.
  9. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 00:50
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    The Obama administration did not start out with a states rights approach. Obama started out wrong. This is a change in direction.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/healthNewsMolt/idUKTRE5140GO20090205
    Police should be out catching real criminals, not wasting their time harassing poor innocent citizens who use medical marijuana for relief from their health problems.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 01:39
    Originally posted by karnachz
    Police should be out catching real criminals, not wasting their time harassing poor innocent citizens who use medical marijuana for relief from their health problems.
    I agree.
  11. Break-twitching
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 03:55
    Originally posted by FMF

Not necessarily the wrong direction, but definitely a different one. I agree that marijuana should be researched more for the potential medicinal uses that it promises. With my current neuro-muscular condition, I have read that smoking a "J" could potentially slow down or even stop my perpetual spasms. As I'm still active duty military, I cannot yet imbibe in reefer because I would sacrifice 23 years of service and a retirement for life. Once I retire from service, I do have evey intention of trying it to see if it works, and if it does, I will see about getting a legal prescription for the pill, as I don't want to ruin my lungs with the smoke. Speaking of marijuana, did you know that commercial hemp can be grown in the poorest soil, 4-5 crops can be harvested per growing season, and it is pound for pound stronger than plywood. Clothes can be made; silage for farm animals; and this commercial hemp would require one to literally smoke a bale before they got a buzz; yet the DEA and gov't refuse to utilize this magnificent plant. I guess "Big Wood", no pun intended, has their hands up the arse of Congress...pathetic!!!
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 04:40
    Originally posted by dystoniac
    Not necessarily the wrong direction, but definitely a different one. I agree that marijuana should be researched more for the potential medicinal uses that it promises. With my current neuro-muscular condition, I have read that smoking a "J" could potentially slow down or even stop my perpetual spasms. As I'm still active duty military, I cannot yet imb ...[text shortened]... guess "Big Wood", no pun intended, has their hands up the arse of Congress...pathetic!!!
    Paper too.
  13. Break-twitching
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 05:37
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Paper too.
    Oh, heck yeah....paper....
  14. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 05:59
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Cannabis should be legalized.
    You misspelled Cannibals.....

GRANNY.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 07:10
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Paper too.
    Hemp was used in the construction of the Model T Ford. It is an All American Plant.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree