Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 22 Jul '11 16:51 / 1 edit
    Associated Press
    Published: Friday, July 22, 2011 at 12:17 p.m.
    Last Modified: Friday, July 22, 2011 at 12:40 p.m.

OSLO, Norway - "A powerful bomb tore into the heart of Norway on Friday, killing at least two people and injuring 15 as it ripped open buildings including the prime minister's office. It was the deadliest bombing ever in Oslo, normally associated with the Nobel Peace Prize that is awarded there.

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg was working at home Friday and was unharmed, according to senior adviser Oivind Ostang.

The square where the bomb exploded was covered in twisted metal and shattered glass, and carpeted in documents expelled from the surrounding buildings, which house government offices and the headquarters of some of Norway's leading newspapers. Most of the windows were shattered in the 20-floor high rise where the prime minister and his administration works.

Oslo police said the explosion was caused by "one or more" bombs, but declined to speculate on who was behind the attack".... Really?! Anyone here care to speculate?

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110722/WIRE/110729876/-1/sports?Title=Norway-bomb-blast-kills-2-injures-15
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    22 Jul '11 17:00
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Oslo police said the explosion was caused by "one or more" bombs, but declined to speculate on who was behind the attack".... Really?! Anyone here care to speculate?
    Terrorists.
  3. 22 Jul '11 17:03 / 1 edit
    update-30 minutes ago

A gunman dressed as a policeman has opened fire at a Labor Party youth camp outside of Oslo shortly after the explosions in the downtown of the Bulgarian capital.

According to the Norwegian paper VG, the gunman was dressed as a policeman. It is unclear if the shooting incident is related to the blasts in the downtown government complex, and little detail is still available about it.

The incident occurred on an island 40 miles away from Oslo.

The Norwegian police has been unable to confirm how many explosions hit Oslo Friday afternoon in a bomb attack on Norway's government complex that caused widespread chaos.

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=130502
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    22 Jul '11 17:07
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/sns-ap-eu-norway-explosion,0,1328315.story

Police say they are sending anti-terror police to a youth camp outside Oslo after reports of a shooting there following the bomb blast at the government headquarters.

The news site VG reported that a man dressed in a police uniform opened fire at the camp. It says several people were injured.
  5. 22 Jul '11 17:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    Terrorists.
    You are so PC its almost cute. But not really.

Jihadist is the more accurate term.
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    22 Jul '11 17:11
    You're probably right.
  7. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    22 Jul '11 17:15
    You are so PC its almost cute. But not really.

Has this been confirmed?
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    22 Jul '11 17:16
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Has this been confirmed?
    The OP asks for "speculation" for some reason.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    22 Jul '11 17:18
    You are so PC its almost cute.
    I don't think my answer was "PC" at all. It doesn't look like the explosions were caused by gas leaks or mishandled munitions.
  10. 22 Jul '11 17:19
    The prime minister lives in OSLO?
    Good then he can see what they are doing to Norway.
    He should be made to live in the crap part of town.
  11. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    22 Jul '11 17:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    The OP asks for "speculation" for some reason.
    Uther's post seemed to imply more conviction than speculation.

I suspect it's a terrorist attack, but I don't even think that much has been confirmed, officially, as of yet.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    22 Jul '11 17:20
    Of course.
  13. 22 Jul '11 17:24 / 1 edit
    Norway's politicos should be hung for allowing this to happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p__qffobdE&feature=related

But then it's almost the same everywhere else in the west.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    22 Jul '11 17:42 / 1 edit
    Uther's post seemed to imply more conviction than speculation. I suspect it's a terrorist attack, but I don't even think that much has been confirmed, officially, as of yet.
    I was just curious to see if utherpendragon would seek to score some sort of points off the back of this atrocity. And of course, he did exactly that. His "PC" comment is the Debate Forum equivalent of premature ejaculation.
  15. 22 Jul '11 17:47

I suspect it's a terrorist attack, but I don't even think that much has been confirmed, officially, as of yet.
    It is a Muslim Jihadist attack.