1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 20:42
    http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/03/pf/move_your_money_day/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

From the article:

Customers are dumping their banks in droves ahead of the nationwide "Move Your Money" and "Bank Transfer Day" movements this Saturday.

Given the recent spotlight on attempts -- and ultimate failures -- by some of the nation's biggest banks to tack on new debit card fees, thousands of disgruntled consumers have already either left or pledged to leave their current bank for a community bank or credit union, which are known for having fewer and/or lower bank account fees.

At least 650,000 consumers have already joined credit unions since Sept. 29, the day Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500) announced plans to impose its controversial $5 debit card fee, according to a nationwide survey of credit unions by the Credit Union National Association...

The "banxodus" is under way. People are leaving the big banks in droves. If you want to end the tyranny of the big banks, this is how you do it. My wife and I took our money out about two years ago. If you haven't yet, then quit reading this and do it. There's still time. Go. What are you waiting for?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 20:52
    Originally posted by rwingett

From the article:

[quote]Customers are dumping their banks in droves ahead of the nationwide "Move Your Money" and "Bank Transfer Day" movements this Saturday.

Given the recent spotlight on attempts -- and ultimate failures -- by some of the nation's biggest banks to tack on ...[text shortened]... et, then quit reading this and do it. There's still time. Go. What are you waiting for?
    Some money.🙁
  3. Germany
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 20:54
    Too much hassle.
  4. Standard memberWoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    Los Gatos, CA
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 04:06
    Yeah, I mean, who really keeps a significant amount of cash in BofA accounts anyway. I use it for free checking, free ATM access, direct deposit, credit card auto-payments... all free.

What, I'm going to throw away my free account in protest of debit card fees that I never used anyway, and they since backpedaled on?

I just don't get it. Again, who really uses BofA as an investment mechanism in this day of age anyway? What, you really like that .005% APR on your interest bearing checking?
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 14:211 edit
    Originally posted by WoodPush
    Yeah, I mean, who really keeps a significant amount of cash in BofA accounts anyway. I use it for free checking, free ATM access, direct deposit, credit card auto-payments... all free.

What, I'm going to throw away my free account in protest of debit card fees that I never used anyway, and they since backpedaled on?

I just don't get it. Again, who r ...[text shortened]... is day of age anyway? What, you really like that .005% APR on your interest bearing checking?
    With the droves of people who are pulling their money out of BoA, it must be quite a few people. But it's not just bank accounts. It's credit cards as well. I had a Citibank credit card for years. I cut that up a while back and got a Wainwright bank Visa card. Wainwright bank gets consistently high marks for its stance on progressive issues. Betterworldshopper.org give them an 'A' ranking, for example.

Edit: While both betterworldshopper.org and responsibleshopper both list Bank of America and Citibank as being tied for last in social responsibility.
  6. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 00:35
    I haven't had my money in B of A for years, nor will I put it back. We have three credit unions to choose from locally. I have accounts in two.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 01:13

From the article:

[quote]Customers are dumping their banks in droves ahead of the nationwide "Move Your Money" and "Bank Transfer Day" movements this Saturday.

Given the recent spotlight on attempts -- and ultimate failures -- by some of the nation's biggest banks to tack on ...[text shortened]... et, then quit reading this and do it. There's still time. Go. What are you waiting for?
    So you do believe in free markets, and consumer pressure.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 01:15
    With the droves of people who are pulling their money out of BoA, it must be quite a few people. But it's not just bank accounts. It's credit cards as well. I had a Citibank credit card for years. I cut that up a while back and got a Wainwright bank Visa card. Wainwright bank gets consistently high marks for its stance on progressive issues. Betterworldshop ...[text shortened]... pper both list Bank of America and Citibank as being tied for last in social responsibility.
    Is their interest rate lower?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree