Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member Scriabin
    Done Asking
    12 Jun '09 19:48
    Trade press is reporting that cleanup efforts at the Hanford nuclear reservation in Washington state have been complicated by the presence of radioactive wasps.

    Mud dauber wasps built the nests beginning in 2003 when workers inadvertently created an ideal habitat for the insects by laying down topsoil and native plants near a mud pit that the wasps use as building material.

    The nests, which may number in the thousands, are contaminated with radioactive isotopes and largely abandoned by the wasps.

    Cleanup is expected to stretch decades and cost more than $50 billion
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    12 Jun '09 23:16
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    Trade press is reporting that cleanup efforts at the Hanford nuclear reservation in Washington state have been complicated by the presence of radioactive wasps.
    In terms of this debate, I am staunchly against these wasps.
  3. 13 Jun '09 03:32 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    In terms of this debate, I am staunchly against these wasps.
    You are against insects of mass destruction? First of all, do we have proof that there are, indeed, insects of mass destuction? I say we need inspectors and lots of them before we make any rash decisions here. Then we can formulate some sort of plan with the UN based upon these reports from the inspectors and then some 20 years later a plan will be formulated on how to manage these insects of mass destruction. My guess is that the UN will impose some sort of embargo against these insects. Yea, that will teach them!!

    Oh, did I forget to mention the trillion dollar governmental Obama coilition that should be formed to decide on what to do with these insects? No doubt, an ORKIN czar will not be far behind.
  4. 13 Jun '09 03:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    You are against insects of mass destruction? First of all, do we have proof that there are, indeed, insects of mass destuction? I say we need inspectors and lots of them before we make any rash decisions here. Then we can formulate some sort of plan with the UN based upon these reports from the inspectors and then some 20 years later a plan will be formula ...[text shortened]... med to decide on what to do with these insects? No doubt, an ORKIN czar will not be far behind.
    Who needs evidence? Evidence is for people who believe in scientific theories like gravity and evolution.

    Let's just spend trillions of dollars invading Madagascar because the bees might be there. We don't have an real evidence? Who cares! Go to WAR WAR WAR WAR!

    After all, Haliburton doesn't have enough money.
  5. 13 Jun '09 03:50
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Who needs evidence? Evidence is for people who believe in scientific theories like gravity and evolution.

    Let's just spend trillions of dollars invading Madagascar because the bees might be there. We don't have an real evidence? Who cares! Go to WAR WAR WAR WAR!

    After all, Haliburton doesn't have enough money.
    Correct!! The key is spending money, not making war. War is just a reason to spend money. In fact, if war was not so costly, I am convinced that the American government would have nothing to do with it. It really doesn't matter why or how the government spends money, the only important thing is that they just do it!!
  6. Standard member Scriabin
    Done Asking
    13 Jun '09 04:35 / 1 edit
    well, a lot of stinging remarks offered pretty much on the fly. the article said they called in an expert to identify the wasps and, since the nests seem abandoned, played a recording of the sounds the insects made while there, which was found on an old tape cassette. After listening, the expert noted that there were no wasp sounds on the tape he had ever heard. The expert expressed doubt that the tape could help prove that any such radioactive wasps existed. However, on closer examination of the tape, it was determined that a simple error had resulted in the expert mistakenly listening to the "B" side.

    The absence of the wasps mystified experts, and the death of the hive was ruled out as none of the wasps' wallets were found in the nest.