1. Germany
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 19:431 edit
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    The explanation is that the Netherlands is exporting massive quantities of onions. In fact, you are the world leader in onion exports. Congratulations!

Of course, the result is a local shortage which drives up the price.

So don't blame Ahold for a problem you can fix yourself. Your soil and climate are perfect, and your onions have a firm skin and even color. We look forward to hearing about the results of your garden! 😉
    You didn't quite read it - I can go to a local market instead of a supermarket and get my onions at about a third of the price, cartel-free. I don't, because I don't like markets and it's further away.

Also, I don't have a garden. 😉
  2. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 21:09
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You didn't quite read it - I can go to a local market instead of a supermarket and get my onions at about a third of the price, cartel-free. I don't, because I don't like markets and it's further away.

Also, I don't have a garden. 😉
    Well, most other countries, the supermarkets are cheaper. You seem to have a situation where a local shop can charge more because people can't be bothered to shop further away. I don't think this is a cartel. I think it is 'charging what people will pay' -- which if people pay it (despite their grumbling and threatening to legislate) is actually perfectly fine.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 21:192 edits
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Well, most other countries, the supermarkets are cheaper. You seem to have a situation where a local shop can charge more because people can't be bothered to shop further away. I don't think this is a cartel. I think it is 'charging what people will pay' -- which if people pay it (despite their grumbling and threatening to legislate) is actually perfectly fine.
    Not a local shop. A local market. The local shop is more expensive than the supermarket. You know, a market on a square and stuff. I can go to bigger supermarkets further away. They charge the same for onions.

It's a cartel, but if you don't want to believe me that's fine of course.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree