1. Germany
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 06:23
    Originally posted by normbenign
    A very high percentage of killers kill themselves, and on police reports there are reported cases of "suicide by cop".
    What's the percentage?
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 02:08
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What's the percentage?
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/12/murder_suicide_research_adam_lanza_does_not_fit_the_pattern.html

"the perpetrators are mostly embroiled in domestic disputes. Ninety percent of the time, they kill their romantic partners. (The recent case of NFL linebacker Jovan Belcher is a textbook example: Belcher and his girlfriend reportedly argued over their baby’s paternity before the athlete shot her and himself.) And when not carried out by jealous twentysomethings or thirtysomethings, murder-suicides tend to be enacted by frail old men who, no longer able to care for their ailing spouses, turn to violence out of a misguided sense of mercy. Or they’re mothers drawn to self-harm but anxious that their children will suffer too much without them. (Suicidologists call this impulse “deluded altruism.&rdquo😉

"He found that 35 percent of such rampage killers take their own lives, compared with only 6 percent of serial killers. What’s more, the serial killers were more likely to commit suicide in order to avoid arrest or imprisonment, whereas rampage murderers had murkier motives. "

Lots of interesting things in this article.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 08:57
    Originally posted by normbenign
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/12/murder_suicide_research_adam_lanza_does_not_fit_the_pattern.html

"the perpetrators are mostly embroiled in domestic disputes. Ninety percent of the time, they kill their romantic partners. (The recent case of NFL linebacker Jovan Belcher is a textbook example: Belcher and his girlfriend r ...[text shortened]... ereas rampage murderers had murkier motives. "

Lots of interesting things in this article.
    Osama was not a rampage killer. In any case, 6% is not a very high percentage and I would expect it to be even lower for people who comitted only a single murder or some other serious crime.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 21:061 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Osama was not a rampage killer. In any case, 6% is not a very high percentage and I would expect it to be even lower for people who comitted only a single murder or some other serious crime.
    6 percent for serial killers, such as Gacy. 35% of rampage killers, such Lanza.

I don't have time for research, but I suspect a larger percentage for domestic homicides.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree