1. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Jun '10 16:54
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0415483620100604

Obama-May jobs report show economy strengthening
    Fri Jun 4, 2010 10:33am EDT

HYATTSVILLE Md., June 4 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Friday the gain of 431,000 jobs in May is a sign the U.S. economy is getting stronger, although there will still be ups and downs going forward.

"This report is a sign that our economy is getting stronger by the day," Obama said in remarks to about about 50 workers at a large truck garage in Maryland.

"A lot of businesses that were hit hard during this downturn, they are starting to hire again. Workers who were laid off are starting to get their jobs back," he said.

However, Obama said there would be "ups and downs" ahead.

The Labor Department said on Friday payrolls rose 431,000 as the government added 411,000 workers to conduct the U.S. Census, the largest monthly increase since March 2000 and one that marked a fifth straight month of gains.

But U.S. private employers hired fewer workers than expected in May, just 41,000 after rising 218,000 in April, a setback for the labor market recovery, even as temporary Census hiring pushed overall payrolls growth to its fastest pace in 10 years.

Obama acknowledged that most of the new jobs were the Census positions.

"So these are temporary jobs that are going to last until the fall, and that may be reflected in future jobs reports," he said.

"But even if you put those temporary jobs aside, there's no doubt that we saw another month of private sector job growth, and that is obviously critical, because when businesses are hiring again, people start spending again and that, in turn, gives businesses more and more incentive to grow."
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Jun '10 16:55
    he's the President! i know he's just an attorney .... but can't he get anyone to explain the jobs report to him?!?!
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Jun '10 17:24
    "Obama touts job increase" .... the video!

http://news.yahoo.com/video/politics-15749652/20168684
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Jun '10 19:04
    When the rich folk won't do their duty and hire the poor folk, the government's gotta step in and enforce those peoples' right to earn property.
  5. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    05 Jun '10 05:182 edits
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    he's the President! i know he's just an attorney .... but can't he get anyone to explain the jobs report to him?!?!
    Yeah, I mean, it would be one thing if

Also from Obama: "So these are temporary jobs that are going to last until the fall, and that may be reflected in future jobs reports," he said.

"But even if you put those temporary jobs aside, there's no doubt that we saw another month of private sector job growth, and that is obviously critical, because when businesses are hiring again, people start spending again and that, in turn, gives businesses more and more incentive to grow."

from your link. Perhaps you should get someone to read to you.
  6. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Jun '10 06:11
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Yeah, I mean, it would be one thing if

Also from Obama: "So these are temporary jobs that are going to last until the fall, and that may be reflected in future jobs reports," he said.

"But even if you put those temporary jobs aside, there's no doubt that ...[text shortened]... more incentive to grow."

from your link. Perhaps you should get someone to read to you.
    if the big boys agreed with you, the stock market wouldn't have fallen 3.43 pct today.
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Jun '10 06:11
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    When the rich folk won't do their duty and hire the poor folk, the government's gotta step in and enforce those peoples' right to earn property.
    on a temporary census-taker's pay? what kind of property are they going to earn?
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    05 Jun '10 07:221 edit
    if the big boys agreed with you, the stock market wouldn't have fallen 3.43 pct today.
    I suppose you think nobody will notice you completely sidestepped the point?

You tried to claim Obama didn't even understand the roll the Census employees played in job creation, when in fact Obama spoke at great length about it. Either you were being dishonest, you didn't bother reading your own link, or you're such an emotional, frothing at the mouth Obama hater you have no grip on reality.
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Jun '10 08:05
    I suppose you think nobody will notice you completely sidestepped the point?

You tried to claim Obama didn't even understand the roll the Census employees played in job creation, when in fact Obama spoke at great length about it. Either you were being dishonest, you didn't bother reading your own link, or you're such an emotional, frothing at the mouth Obama hater you have no grip on reality.
    an increase of 411K jobs based on CENSUS-TAKERS is counterproductive even to mention! those jobs will be gone in a few months! they were state-defined and have no effect on the direction of the economy except for secondary spending! and what kind of secondary spending do you expect from TEMPORARY census workers?!?

did you not read this line, or just not understand it?:

"But U.S. private employers hired fewer workers than expected in May, just 41,000 after rising 218,000 in April, a setback for the labor market recovery, even as temporary Census hiring pushed overall payrolls growth to its fastest pace in 10 years. "

if OBAMA read this, where does he get off claiming the economy is strengthening? can he not recognize a rate drop without having it explained to him by an economist?

best guess is he realizes it but is trying to spin it otherwise.

hey, telerion could probably give you some advice on buying a house. i mean, the market's gotta go up sometime.
  10. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    05 Jun '10 08:44
    an increase of 411K jobs based on CENSUS-TAKERS is counterproductive even to mention! those jobs will be gone in a few months! they were state-defined and have no effect on the direction of the economy except for secondary spending! and what kind of secondary spending do you expect from TEMPORARY census workers?!?

did you not read this line, or just ...[text shortened]... probably give you some advice on buying a house. i mean, the market's gotta go up sometime.
    Because it was still a net increase and there are other positive indicators, like our economy growing for three straight quarters. Employment numbers are always the last economic indicator to respond.

By the way, all the sidestepping in the world isn't going let you out of it.

You claimed Obama didn't realize the majority of the increase was due to Census workers. It. Was. A. Lie.
  11. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Jun '10 08:45
    Because. He's. Trying. To. Spin. It. And. The. Markets. Won't. Let. Him.
  12. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    05 Jun '10 08:52
    Because. He's. Trying. To. Spin. It. And. The. Markets. Won't. Let. Him.
    You lied by claiming Obama didn't know the Census played a major role in jobs creation because.... in your opinion he's trying to spin it?

Why didn't you just say, "In my opinion he's trying to spin it"? Why did you have to tell a lie?

On the next big up day in the stock market are you now going to claim the economy is recovering? Can you show me your posts of optimism through the huge run-up we've had since March of last year? I didn't think so.
  13. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Jun '10 09:22
    You lied by claiming Obama didn't know the Census played a major role in jobs creation because.... in your opinion he's trying to spin it?

Why didn't you just say, "In my opinion he's trying to spin it"? Why did you have to tell a lie?

On the next big up day in the stock market are you now going to claim the economy is recovering? Can you s ...[text shortened]... optimism through the huge run-up we've had since March of last year? I didn't think so.
    it's not a lie, it's a joke.

are you going to pull an FMF here?
  14. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    05 Jun '10 23:43
    it's not a lie, it's a joke.

are you going to pull an FMF here?
    So you weren't trying to pretend he didn't understand the jobs report?

Obama: "But even if you put those temporary jobs aside, there's no doubt that we saw another month of private sector job growth"

This is 100% true. The fact is we saw a net jobs increase even without the Census jobs.
  15. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    06 Jun '10 01:58
    We need to have the census run every year.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree