1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 01:21
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    April 6: "I know there have been difficulties these last few years. I know that the trust that binds us has been strained, and I know that strain is shared in many places where the Muslim faith is practiced. Let me say this as clearly as I can: the United States is not at war with Islam."
    -- President Obama, in Ankara, Turkey
    In what sense is this an "apology"?

Who can deny that there have been difficulties, strains and a perception that the United States was at war with Islam.

It seems that your President is simply telling the truth. As oopsed to lying or bluffing.

This is not an apology. Nothing like it.
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 01:21
    Jan. 26: "All too often the United States starts by dictating ... and we don't always know all the factors that are involved. So let's listen. And I think if we do that, then there's a possibility at least of achieving some breakthroughs. ... My job to the Muslim world is to communicate that the Americans are not your enemy. We sometimes make mistakes. We have not been perfect."
    -- President Obama, in an interview with Al Arabiya
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 01:23
    Those are not apologies, uther.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 01:24
    April 16: "Too often, the United States has not pursued and sustained engagement with our neighbors. We have been too easily distracted by other priorities and have failed to see that our own progress is tied directly to progress throughout the Americas. My administration is committed to renewing and sustaining a broader partnership between the United ...[text shortened]... op-ed that appeared in U.S. and Latin American newspapers prior to the Summit of the Americas

It's a statement about how the foreign policy of the U.S. is going to be different. It indicates what the new president thinks are the challenges faced and pledges about how the U.S. intends to tackle them.

Show me real "apologies".

You're simply trying to claim that policy statements are apologies? Is that what you're going to do here?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 01:26
    April 2: "It is true, as my Italian friend has said, that the (economic) crisis began in the U.S. I take responsibility, even if I wasn't even president at the time."
    -- President Obama, at the G20 in London, as reported by Germany's Der Spiegel

Is he supposed to deny that the crisis didn't start in the U.S.? Or that the U.S. shouldn't stand tall and take responsibility.

These things you are quoting are not "apologies".
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 01:27
    Originally posted by FMF

It's a statement about how the foreign policy of the U.S. is going to be different. It indicates what the new president thinks are the challenges faced and pledges about how the U.S. intends to tackle them.

Show me real "apologies".

You're simply trying to claim that policy statements are apologies? Is that what you're going to do here?
    you and a thousand young can play symantics all you want. Its there, read them and weep. YOU have been debunked!
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 01:28
    April 2: "I would like to think that with my election and the early decisions that we've made, that you're starting to see some restoration of America's standing in the world."
    -- President Obama, at G20 summit in London
    New president, new policy.

8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 01:29
    April 1: "If you look at the sources of this crisis, the United States certainly has some accounting to do with respect to a regulatory system that was inadequate."
    -- President Obama, at a press conference ahead of the G20 in London
    Are you saying this is not true? Or that, even if it was, he shouldn't have said it?

9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 01:32
    you and a thousand young can play symantics all you want.
    Symantics are not the issue. The content is.

You have yet to cut & paste an "apology".

The rationale for the excerpts that you have cut & paste seems to be: U.S. policy should not change from president to president, and a U.S. president should not acknowledge any problems or challenges when stating the U.S.'s position on issues.

Still waiting for the "apologies" from the "Apologies Tours".
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 01:35
    Jan. 26: "All too often the United States starts by dictating ... and we don't always know all the factors that are involved. So let's listen. And I think if we do that, then there's a possibility at least of achieving some breakthroughs. ... My job to the Muslim world is to communicate that the Americans are not your enemy. We sometimes make mistakes. We have not been perfect."
    -- President Obama, in an interview with Al Arabiya
    No apology here. Clearly.

When my oldest kid tries something along the lines of "I sometimes make mistakes. I have not been perfect." when an apology is called for, believe me, it does not cut it!

There must be something better than this stuff, utherpendragon.
  11. Joined
    30 Jan '09
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 01:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    No apology here. Clearly.

When my oldest kid tries something along the lines of "I sometimes make mistakes. I have not been perfect." when an apology is called for, believe me, it does not cut it!

There must be something better than this stuff, utherpendragon.
    Why?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 02:04
    Originally posted by Leon Alvarado
    Why?
    Because these are simply instances of utherpendragon disagreeing with Obama's analysis of how U.S. policy should change. utherpendragon is perfectly entitled to disagree. I have a distinct feeling he didn't vote for Obama. But that does not turn a president's words, laying out his foreign policy vison, into "apologies".

If this is all utherpendragon can come up with, then clearly there were no "Apology Tours".
  13. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 02:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    Because these are simply instances of utherpendragon disagreeing with Obama's analysis of how U.S. policy should change. utherpendragon is perfectly entitled to disagree. I have a distinct feeling he didn't vote for Obama. But that does not turn a president's words, laying out his foreign policy vison, into "apologies".

If this is all utherpendragon can come up with, then clearly there were no "Apology Tours".
    Its funny how you, my little Brit friend, sit there pontificating in Indonesia about American politics as if you know what the hell you are talking about. I doubt you have ever been to the states but are an expert none the less.
    These are examples of his "apologies". Not says me but the majority of the U.S. defines them as such.Normal citizens,politicians,news papers,t.v. media, etc etc.
    Most all refer to these as apologies here in the states.The states is all that really matters now doesnt it?
    I got some gender confused,occupation confused,anti-capitalist,anti-american, dead head living in Indonesia with his good friend Peter lecturing me about my President. It does not get any better than this.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 02:394 edits
    Its funny how you, my little Brit friend, sit there pontificating in Indonesia about American politics as if you know what the hell you are talking about. I doubt you have ever been to the states but are an expert none the less.
    These are examples of his "apologies". Not says me but the majority of the U.S. defines them as such.Normal citizens,poli ...[text shortened]... h his good friend Peter lecturing me about my President. It does not get any better than this.
    To my way of thinking, you haven't made your case.

You talk about me "pontificating in Indonesia about American politics" and yet this thread is about U.S. foreign policy and about statements made by your president for consumption by people all around the world, including (and maybe even especially) in Indonesia - with it being the third biggest democracy and the biggest Muslim country... some people in the U.S. and elsewhere argued that the Turkey speech should have been made here in Indonesia. So, in effect, Obama was talking to me, so to speak, along with my neighbours and to political, business and religious leaders here. And I heard no apologies. I just heard a new president talking in a mature way about perceptions and problems and plans and pledges. So, no - you haven't made your case.

However I fully understand your point of view on this matter and I fully understand how and why Obama's words have bitterly disappointed you.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 03:45
    These are examples of his "apologies". Not says me but the majority of the U.S. defines them as such.Normal citizens,poli ...[text shortened]... h his good friend Peter lecturing me about my President. It does not get any better than this.
    I don't define those as apologies. Where do you get this idea that most Americans do?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree