1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 10:21
    From the article below:
    In a step to close a loophole under which third countries could barter for oil, U.S. President Barack Obama last July signed an executive order that would allow him to penalize any company that helped Iran acquire gold or other precious metals.

Any companies that did so could have their assets under U.S. jurisdiction frozen and be denied access to the U.S. financial system, a powerful deterrent to any bank or trading company.

The European Union bars trade in gold, precious metals and diamonds with Iranian public bodies and with the central bank.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/15/us-iran-nuclear-gold-idUSBRE91E0TP20130215

I think the USA sees gold as a threat to the US dollar's status as the world reserve currency. What say you?
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    17 Feb '13 08:28
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    From the article below:
    In a step to close a loophole under which third countries could barter for oil, U.S. President Barack Obama last July signed an executive order that would allow him to penalize any company that helped Iran acquire gold or other precious metals.

Any companies that did so could have their assets under U.S. jurisdiction frozen a ...[text shortened]... SA sees gold as a threat to the US dollar's status as the world reserve currency. What say you?
    It looks like a prudent step aimed at a country that sponsers terrorism. You have a problem with that?
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '13 16:12
    Originally posted by bill718
    It looks like a prudent step aimed at a country that sponsers terrorism. You have a problem with that?
    The USA sponsors terrorism. Why don't you have a problem with that? Also, Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program. Leon Panetta has said that several times.

Obama knows gold sanctions will not stop Iran from enriching uranium. Gold sanctions are meant to curb trading in gold, nothing more. This is solely meant to protect the US dollar's status as the world reserve currency.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Feb '13 19:24
    I think the USA sees gold as a threat to the US dollar's status as the world reserve currency. What say you?
    This isn't to do with the Dollar's reserve status. For one thing virtually every country in the world has gold reserves and the U.S. isn't likely to try to put up sanctions against everyone. There's two reasons I can think of, one is that by denying Iran precious metals the Iranians are left with nothing to back the Rial, which increases the risk of hyper-inflation and so weakens the government. The other possibility is that they are worried about mislabeling of uranium as gold.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Feb '13 20:49
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    This isn't to do with the Dollar's reserve status. For one thing virtually every country in the world has gold reserves and the U.S. isn't likely to try to put up sanctions against everyone. There's two reasons I can think of, one is that by denying Iran precious metals the Iranians are left with nothing to back the Rial, which increases the risk of hy ...[text shortened]... nment. The other possibility is that they are worried about mislabeling of uranium as gold.
    Points well made. Iran isn't a threat to the US $ status. Weakening Iran is more plausibly a rationale. I don't know about smuggling uranium as gold. Never seen yellow cake, but is it similar in density to gold? That part sounds a bit thin, but depending on the actual similarity in the metals, if it exists it could be the idea.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    17 Feb '13 20:50
    From the article below:

Any companies that did so could have their assets under U.S. jurisdiction frozen a ...[text shortened]... SA sees gold as a threat to the US dollar's status as the world reserve currency. What say you?
    You're being a little paranoid again. The US seeks to weaken the Iranian regime and this is one way they hope to accomplish that goal.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Feb '13 22:00
    The other possibility is that they are worried about mislabeling of uranium as gold.
    U
    Someone scratches an A in front
    AU

Its easily done!

😉
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '13 22:14
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    U
    Someone scratches an A in front
    AU

Its easily done!

😉
    A U! U funny!
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '13 14:05
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You're being a little paranoid again. The US seeks to weaken the Iranian regime and this is one way they hope to accomplish that goal.
    I'll agree that the USA seeks to weaken the Iranian regime. I've been saying that for a long time. That is the real goal of sanctions. The USA government knows sanctions are rarely effective. It is not about curbing their uranium refining, it is about weakening them as much as possible so a military invasion goes more smoothly.

You can't ignore that the USA prefers oil transactions to be done with US dollars though. They certainly want to keep gold transaction to a minimum. Your denial of this is naive.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '13 14:53
    Just like I said, Iran has no interest in that offer and Obama knew it all along.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/18/us-iran-nuclear-idUSBRE91H09Z20130218
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '13 15:09
    Now Obama has imposed gold sanctions on North Korea.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/18/us-korea-north-eu-idUSBRE91H0E120130218
  12. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    18 Feb '13 15:24
    Originally posted by bill718
    So are you saying that it is aimed at the US? The US runs al qaeda you know.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Feb '13 19:12
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Points well made. Iran isn't a threat to the US $ status. Weakening Iran is more plausibly a rationale. I don't know about smuggling uranium as gold. Never seen yellow cake, but is it similar in density to gold? That part sounds a bit thin, but depending on the actual similarity in the metals, if it exists it could be the idea.
    The density of gold (19.3 g/cm^3) and metallic uranium (19.1 g/cm^3) are almost identical, but I was thinking more along the lines of using the imports as cover rather than actually trying to disguise uranium as gold. It's a moot point anyway as Iran has a uranium mine at Saghand (32.313°N 55.530°E according to Wikipedia).
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 Feb '13 20:01
    The density of gold (19.3 g/cm^3) and metallic uranium (19.1 g/cm^3) are almost identical, but I was thinking more along the lines of using the imports as cover rather than actually trying to disguise uranium as gold. It's a moot point anyway as Iran has a uranium mine at Saghand (32.313°N 55.530°E according to Wikipedia).
    I'm betting you are correct in the first place that such actions are aimed at simple weakening of the Iran economy.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Feb '13 20:13
    This isn't to do with the Dollar's reserve status. For one thing virtually every country in the world has gold reserves and the U.S. isn't likely to try to put up sanctions against everyone. There's two reasons I can think of, one is that by denying Iran precious metals the Iranians are left with nothing to back the Rial, which increases the risk of hy ...[text shortened]... nment. The other possibility is that they are worried about mislabeling of uranium as gold.
    Lots of countries are buying gold and the USA doesn't like the trend, especially if it is by a country the USA wants to keep weak. It is partly about the US dollar's world reserve status at the very least.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/petrogold-are-russia-and-china-hoarding-gold-because-they-plan-to-kill-the-petrodollar

A lot of people on this forum think that gold is over valued but they are wrong. Central banks know how much currencies are devalued so they know better than anyone that gold is really undervalued if anything. That is why they are the main buyers of gold in the world.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree