1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 20:04
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Sure, that argument makes sense in the 18th Century.

In the 21st Century, in a modern multi-party democracy with accountable government? Not so much.
    Governments are only accountable so long as there are controls and countermeasures. In an instant any government can become oppressive.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 20:13
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    The Trial Judge accepted that Pistorius had a subjective belief that he was in mortal danger. The appeals court overturned that finding of fact. Whether an appellate court can legally overturn a trial court's findings of fact (when the appeals court sees no witnesses or new evidence) according to SA law, seems to be a critical component of Pistorius' appeal to the Constitutional Court (though there are others).
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 20:15
    It isn't a matter of delusions. He simply doesn't know the subtleties of US vs. S.African law.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 20:181 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 20:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Trial Judge accepted that Pistorius had a subjective belief that he was in mortal danger. The appeals court overturned that finding of fact. Whether an appellate court can legally overturn a trial court's findings of fact (when the appeals court sees no witnesses or new evidence) according to SA law, seems to be a critical component of Pistorius' appeal to the Constitutional Court (though there are others).
    For Duchess64 it is simple. The victim was female, killed by a male. All else is meaningless. The male ought to die.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 23:26

7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 21:22
    Originally posted by normbenign
    For Duchess64 it is simple. The victim was female, killed by a male. All else is meaningless. The male ought to die.
    Isn't that just you striking out at someone you don't like? You make it black and white with no gray areas. That is pretty stark.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 21:49

9. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 00:05
    Interesting that this ruling isn't as newsworthy as the earlier virtual acquittal.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 01:14
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Interesting that this ruling isn't as newsworthy as the earlier virtual acquittal.
    Trials are a lot more dramatic than appellate court rulings.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 02:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Isn't that just you striking out at someone you don't like? You make it black and white with no gray areas. That is pretty stark.
    You are quite right. I don't like Duchess64, and she doesn't like me. You did notice that too, didn't you?
  12. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 23:51
    Doesn't matter. You're a woman with an opinion of her own and that still grates on men with a grandiose sense of entitlement - a species far from extinct unfortunately.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 12:28
    You are quite right. I don't like Duchess64, and she doesn't like me. You did notice that too, didn't you?
    I never would have guessed......
  14. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 12:32
    I think Duchess and I have buried the hatchet, but the handle is still sticking out. LOL
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jan '16 19:141 edit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree