1. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    08 May '15 16:05
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That is not what I said. You seem to have difficulty following a conversation.
    If you came to my house and started breaking my windows, I might first threaten you and then forcibly stop you. But that is not the same thing as saying I am a violent person or that house ownership has made me violent.
    Similarly a robber that holds someone up at gun point is ...[text shortened]... be. Depending on your definition, the act of robbery at gun point could be called a violent act.
    Efforts to define people as either violent or not violent is a useless circular pastime, and also incoherent if you're going to define their acts (armed robbery) as violent but then, for some reason, define their nature as something else.

Illegally and intentionally threatening someone with death if they don't give you stuff is, in itself, an act of violence. People who do that should go to jail.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 May '15 17:48
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Efforts to define people as either violent or not violent is a useless circular pastime,
    Well, the original question was whether or not being poor causes people to become violent. I interpreted that as him defining people as violent.

Illegally and intentionally threatening someone with death if they don't give you stuff is, in itself, an act of violence. People who do that should go to jail.
    I agree they should go to jail, and I agree it can be called an act of violence. I disagree that a person who does it can be automatically called a 'violent person'.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 May '15 17:59
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy

Illegally and intentionally threatening someone with death if they don't give you stuff is, in itself, an act of violence. People who do that should go to jail.[/b]
    Everyone in the IRS should be in jail? 😛
  4. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    08 May '15 18:141 edit
    Well, the original question was whether or not being poor causes people to become violent. I interpreted that as him defining people as violent.

I agree they should go to jail, and ...[text shortened]... f violence. I disagree that a person who does it can be automatically called a 'violent person'.[/b]
    Ok fair enough. I don't care what you call them if they're in jail and prevented from doing further violence.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    09 May '15 01:53
    That is not what I said. You seem to have difficulty following a conversation.
    If you came to my house and started breaking my windows, I might first threaten you and then forcibly stop you. But that is not the same thing as saying I am a violent person or that house ownership has made me violent.
    Similarly a robber that holds someone up at gun point is ...[text shortened]... be. Depending on your definition, the act of robbery at gun point could be called a violent act.
    Please, your view is through rose colored glasses. Someone who points a gun threatening to shoot if you don't turn over your money is not violent. Try saying no.

Simply breaking your windows is violent enough for you to respond with violence in kind. I would be entirely justified in shooting an armed robber who threatened me with a gun. What you want me to give him the first shot?
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    09 May '15 01:55
    No. But I see that by the WHO definition it would be:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence

But then we would call all policemen violent too.
    Police and soldiers are necessarily violent. It is the nature of their job.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 May '15 08:14
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Simply breaking your windows is violent enough for you to respond with violence in kind. I would be entirely justified in shooting an armed robber who threatened me with a gun. What you want me to give him the first shot?
    What makes you think, from anything I said, that I would want you to give him the first shot?
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 May '15 02:17
    What makes you think, from anything I said, that I would want you to give him the first shot?
    You seem to be reluctant to call someone committing armed robbery violent? Did I misread what you said? Threatening violence is violent, if the threat is rationally believable and real.

That is the only justification for a citizen or police officer responding with deadly force. It is a matter of believing the threat to be real.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree