1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    16 Jul '13 07:15
    What are the three most unconventional U.S. policy suggestions you've heard of lately, and where did you hear them? By "unconventional," I'm trying to get at the nature of an idea that the majority of news-watchers (let alone the general public) haven't heard of but that enough analysts or experts or politicians have heard of to at least make it credible.

Here are some that I would think of as "unconventional":

1) Implement term limits for Supreme Court justices.
    2) Implement the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.
    3) Implement "wide-open" primary elections like those in California whereby the top two primary candidates, regardless of party, proceed to the general election.

Here are some that I would not necessarily think of as "unconventional":

1) Pass a "balanced budget" amendment to the US constitution.
    2) Pass a "personhood" amendment to the US constitution.
    3) Implement a single-payer health care system.

I realize there will still be a good deal of subjectivity in interpreting and responding to this prompt, but hopefully you see where I'm going. Also... it's fine if you don't agree with the proposal--I just want it to have made you stop and think.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Jul '13 16:17
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    What are the three most unconventional U.S. policy suggestions you've heard of lately, and where did you hear them? By "unconventional," I'm trying to get at the nature of an idea that the majority of news-watchers (let alone the general public) haven't heard of but that enough analysts or experts or politicians have heard of to at least make it credible. ...[text shortened]... don't agree with the proposal--I just want it to have made you stop and think.
    Couldn't anything be an out-of-mainstream suggestion?

We could legalize all drugs, speech and weapons.
    We could make the entire planet clothing optional.
    We can ban all abortions or make all of them legal.
    We could eliminate certain taxes such as the estate tax or income tax or sales tax or we could make them very high for certain groups.
    We could ban the death penalty or extend it to rape or certain white collar crimes.
    We could allow bigamy

These are non-mainstream ideas and while none of them seem likely to be implemented and I am sure there are people who would not be bothered by some suggestions.
  3. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    16 Jul '13 17:12
    See my af ftw thread for a great example of outside of the box thinking.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree