1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 May '09 05:01
    Ok kids, I hear the Taliban is something like only 60 miles outside the capital of Pakistan and gaining ground. So here is your moment to shine by predicting the future.

1. Does the Pakistani government fall to the Taliban?
    2. If so, does Obama just let it happen or take military action?
    3. Does India become involved?
    4. Assuming the Taliban is left alone once they take over, will they use Nukes against those evil Zionists and/or the US/India?

Now I only want legitmate predictions involving crystal balls, angelic revelations, and/or computer generated computations.
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    26 May '09 05:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    Ok kids, I hear the Taliban is something like only 60 miles outside the capital of Pakistan and gaining ground. So here is your moment to shine by predicting the future.

4. Assuming the Taliban is left ...[text shortened]... redictions involving crystal balls, angelic revelations, and/or computer generated computations.
    #1...to close to call
    #2...Obama will "reason"w/them while Hillary gives them an olive branch
    #3...yes
    #4...yes,yes and yes
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 May '09 05:441 edit
    [i]#2...Obama will "reason"w/them
    Just so long as he does not bow down and kiss the ring of the Talibani diplomat....that is if they have any diplomats or even know what one is. 😛
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 May '09 06:08
    4. Assuming the Taliban is left alone once they take over, will they use Nukes against those evil Zionists and/or the US/India?

Now I only want legitmate predictions involving crystal balls, angelic revelations, and/or computer generated computations.
    1. No.
    At most the Taliban will gain control over parts of the country.

2. Yes.
    The US is still involved there trying to do something (although it's not exactly clear what they're doing).

3. No.
    Not any more than they already are.

4. No
    The Taliban have shown no former aggression towards any foreign nation. I predict no change should they come to power. If anything, they'll try to win ground diplomatically.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 May '09 06:101 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    2. Yes.
    The US is still involved there trying to do something (although it's not exactly clear what they're doing).
    You got that right mate!! 😀
  6. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    26 May '09 06:33

4. Assuming the Taliban is left ...[text shortened]... redictions involving crystal balls, angelic revelations, and/or computer generated computations.
    Very unlikely.
    That's the point. Neither the US nor India would allow that to happen.
    Only as a last resort. India doesn't want to be bothered with this problem - they are too busy with their economic strategy.
    Pakistani nukes would be removed/dismantled by an outside force before it got to that stage.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 May '09 11:15

You're misinformed, the Taliban is being pushed out of the Swat valley by the Pakistani military.

1. No.
    2. n/a (see 1).
    3. Only if the Kashmir problem takes precedence over governance in Pakistan to such a degree that Pakistan collapses.
    4. n/a(see 1).

You might get something out of this article on how the Taliban is something of an aberration within Pakistan:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124329222810852389.html
  8. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 May '09 12:25

I looked into my Mountain Dew bottle and I saw a great cataclysm heading our way. Pakistan was only a part of it. The taliban will have repotedly stolen nuclear weapons from Pakistan. The United states will announce that we are going to send troops to the area. Once the statement is out for a week or two, we will suddenly be attacked by a high altitude nuclear detonation causing communications to fail in this country. Of course, before the detonation, the idea, the talliban is selling a nuke to N. Korea will have been propagated thouroughly. After we have no communications there will be martial law where the military collects folks a certain age for the war effort. That is also when people are rounded up for other reasons and disposed of. Troops the world over will arive here and help in the round up. There will be no warning as we will have no communications. Cities and towns will be used as concentration camps and what we thought were concentration death camps will be used as a safe haven for those allowed to remain. In time there will be enough rural people forced into the towns and cities that they will unleash biological warfare on the populace and the military dupes that surround it. I will say my Mountain Dew bottle has been wrong before, but it has proven to be more reliable than my pepsi bottle.
  9. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    26 May '09 20:07
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    You're misinformed, the Taliban is being pushed out of the Swat valley by the Pakistani military.

1. No.
    2. n/a (see 1).
    3. Only if the Kashmir problem takes precedence over governance in Pakistan to such a degree that Pakistan collapses.
    4. n/a(see 1).

You might get something out of this article on how the Taliban is something of an aberration within Pakistan:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124329222810852389.html
    that article was helpful. been reading a lot about Pakistan. going back to Naipaul, read Mortenson, others. Strikes me that Pakistan's civil society is a very tough, vibrant thing about which one can be completely ignorant unless one makes an effort to read up on it. The Pakistanis have endured efforts since 1947 to create the ideal Islamic state -- and it never has come to pass. The present Taliban problem is not really all that different from past tribal, ethnic uprisings. The factions or tribes that hold sway over the capital city, over most of the country's territory, and over all of its military, industrial, agricultural, and financial assets, will not allow these northwestern tribesmen to take over. this conflict is not without historical precedent and it will likely end in the same way as in the past, only to reoccur periodically.

the only cure is something Mortenson dedicates himself to: education of the rural poor, especially girls. We'll get more bang for the buck dropping books than bombs. If the USA had spent even half what Saudi Arabia sent into Pakistan by briefcase over the last two decades on building, staffing, supplying and securing schools, we would'nt be having this discussion.

there is still time -- but we still don't get it.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 May '09 20:33
    Absent the continued Western occupation of Afghanistan, there would be no Taliban problem in Afghanistan (as there wasn't when the Taliban were actually in power in that country). The US pushed the Pakistani government to get involved in the Afghan War, they did so and now have received unpleasant blowback.

I don't think the Taliban will overthrow the Pakistani government. In the end, that government will cut a deal similar to the deal cut in the border areas. The US will bluster and pout, but the Pakistanis don't want a civil war just to keep the West happy.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 May '09 21:401 edit
    Er, I meant to say "there would be no Taliban problem in Pakistan" in the prior post.
  12. Standard memberRSMA1234
    The Guvnor....!!!!
    The Dark Side
    Moves
    27 May '09 11:48

(1) Unlikey, but their may be a change in goverment with the army taking over again

(2) America is already invloved in its love affair with Pakistan by trying to control it and get the pipeline through it, the one for oil that is

(3) On the sly they are.....and probaly helped in the bombing today in Lahour

(4) Very unlikey
  13. Germany
    Moves
    27 May '09 16:09

1. I doubt it.
    2. Quite possibly.
    3. Maybe.
    4. Very unlikely.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree