1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 02:39
    Pelosi: "We Have to Pass the Bill So That You Can Find Out What Is In It"

YouTube

This seems like a silly thing for Pelosi to say. I'm trying to figure out why she would make a comment like this. Does anybody have a good understanding of the context in which she said it?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 03:07
    Originally posted by Metal Brain

This seems like a silly thing for Pelosi to say. I'm trying to figure out why she would make a comment like this. Does anybody have a good understanding of the context in which she said it?
    In other words, who knew why she made the comment, who else knew, and when did they know it?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 12:53

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-05TLiiLU

quote:

Nancy Pelosi: "We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it."

"On March 9, the Speaker of the House spoke to the National Association of Counties about the health care bill that was days away from final passage. This was the phrase that launched a thousand campaign ads. Nine months later, this is remembered as Pelosi admitting what Tea Partiers had feared: that Democrats were ramming through bad bills without reading them. That wasn't actually what she was saying. The full quote:

" You've heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don't know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention—it's about diet, not diabetes. It's going to be very, very exciting. But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.

"Pelosi was trying to say that the press was only reporting he-said-she-saids about the bill, and that its benefits would become clear, and popular, once it passed. They did become clear, though they have yet to become popular."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2010/12/the_ghost_of_gaffes_past.html
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 13:021 edit
    See, all perfect explanations. I'm sure she read the whole 2 billion pages of the bill herself. 😵
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 15:04
    Originally posted by JS357
    quote:

Nancy Pelosi: "We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it."

"On March 9, the Speaker of the House spoke to the National Association of Counties about the health care bill that was days away from final passage. This was the phrase that launched a thousand campaign ads. Nine months later, this is remembered as Pelosi admitting w ...[text shortened]... w.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2010/12/the_ghost_of_gaffes_past.html
    That helps me understand better. Thank you.
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 20:361 edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-05TLiiLU

Give it up Metal Brain. Your silly attempts to discredit Nancy Pelosi (and Democrats in general for that matter) are just that...silly. I don't agree with everything Nancy Pelosi says either, but nit picking every little thing that has the apperance of error makes you look like a sore loser republican that can't deal with the fact that LIBERALS are the majority party now, and will be for some time to come!

P.S. Have a nice day 🙂
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 21:27
    Originally posted by bill718
    Give it up Metal Brain. Your silly attempts to discredit Nancy Pelosi (and Democrats in general for that matter) are just that...silly. I don't agree with everything Nancy Pelosi says either, but nit picking every little thing that has the apperance of error makes you look like a sore loser republican that can't deal with the fact that LIBERALS are the majority party now, and will be for some time to come!

P.S. Have a nice day 🙂
    I never attempted to discredit Pelosi. I asked if someone could put her quote in the context that I could understand and someone did just that. I thanked that person for it like a gentleman and despite that you are jumping to conclusions like crazy.

I am not a republican. What is wrong with you?

I dislike presidents from both major political parties. Anybody who has been on this forum for many years knows I hate GW Bush, GHW Bush and Reagan for their corruption as well. I am not a partisan creature like you and others on here.

You need to pull you head out of your rear end and smell the coffee.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 21:49
    I never attempted to discredit Pelosi. I asked if someone could put her quote in the context that I could understand and someone did just that. I thanked that person for it like a gentleman and despite that you are jumping to conclusions like crazy.

I am not a republican. What is wrong with you?

I dislike presidents from both major political partie ...[text shortened]... you and others on here.

You need to pull you head out of your rear end and smell the coffee.
    "You need to pull you head out of your rear end and smell the coffee."

I know you aren't directing that toward me but I just want to say it is one of the strangest mixed metaphors I have ever come across.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 22:44

I know you aren't directing that toward me but I just want to say it is one of the strangest mixed metaphors I have ever come across.
    WOW!

I politely thanked you for the information I asked for and you turned on me. I guess I will stop being polite. What is with you people? You see partisanship where there is none. I'm not a republican. There are plenty of people on this forum that know this is true. You 2 are very paranoid people!
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 00:52
    WOW!

I politely thanked you for the information I asked for and you turned on me. I guess I will stop being polite. What is with you people? You see partisanship where there is none. I'm not a republican. There are plenty of people on this forum that know this is true. You 2 are very paranoid people!
    How ironic that you should fling the word "paranoid". 😀
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 02:03
    quote:

"On March 9, the Speaker of the House spoke to the National Association of Counties about the health care bill that was days away from final passage. This was the phrase that launched a thousand campaign ads. Nine months later, this is remembered as Pelosi admitting w ...[text shortened]... w.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2010/12/the_ghost_of_gaffes_past.html
    I'm not so sure that the context, in this case, makes a bit of difference. If anything it confirms what I already thought, although I heard the context when I first heard her controversial statement.

It relies on a couple of obvious fallacies: 1. That debating an issue is making the issues less clear, creating a fog. 2. the old canard about prevention (same thing sold HMOs).

Nothing beats knowing before hand what a massive program will likely do. That is only accomplished by reading the bill, and debating the consequences.

The unpopularity of Obama care is from two sides, the free market side disapproving of the central controls, and mandated purchase of insurance (Tax according to Roberts), while the left hates that it isn't full blown single payor, which covers everything for nothing.

It is in many ways the worst of both worlds.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 03:49
    WOW!

He didn't turn on you, dude. He just commented on the oddity of the image of pulling one's head out of one's rear to smell the coffee. It's a mixed metaphor and a bizarre one, at that. I'm sure he did not mean it to be offensive.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 04:53
    Originally posted by sh76
    He didn't turn on you, dude. He just commented on the oddity of the image of pulling one's head out of one's rear to smell the coffee. It's a mixed metaphor and a bizarre one, at that. I'm sure he did not mean it to be offensive.
    JS357's observation about the oddity is right, although I would have been more inclined to comment on the pairing of TWO such abject and knuckle-gnawingly dreary cliches and trying to pass it off as cyberswagger. 🙂
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 11:36
    Originally posted by sh76
    I guess you are right. I didn't notice the quotations the first time around. My bad.

Yeah, I like to paint a bizarre image sometimes. That was one of my better ones. 😛
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 16:50

I like FMFs term cyberswagger. Now can we get back to Pelosi's meaning, or lack of any meaning.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree