1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Nov '15 05:07
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I suspect that the reason the founders were not enthused about the term commonwealth, is that is what the English system was called. If you will read the Articles of Confederation, the precursor to the Constitution, the definition is almost the same as you set forth for a Commonwealth.

Even the US Constitution emphasizes State sovereignty, with certai ...[text shortened]... Europe where nations are small and close, but each enjoys its own distinct culture and economy.
    The British Commonwealth didn't exist until 1931. http://www.britannica.com/topic/Commonwealth-association-of-states The Founders didn't use the term "Commonwealth" because that is not what they created.

The US Constitution sharply reduced State sovereignty and had an entire section (Article I, section 10) specifically banning States from exercising many of their previous powers. Article IV also did away with various sovereign prerogatives.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Nov '15 08:341 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Eventually power gives way to corruption. It is only human nature. This is why the US adopted Federalism verses a king. They thought it imperative to divide power in order to help thwart corruption and abuse.
    As I expected, you will just keep repeating the claim without evidence - and slowly but carefully change the claim.
    Remember that the claim was that corruption is proportional to power. Now you are merely saying that power causes corruption.

Perhaps you prefer a king.
    Pro tip: don't try to read minds, you are no good at it. Nothing I have said should suggest to you that I would prefer a king.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 05:31
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The British Commonwealth didn't exist until 1931. .
    Perhaps he was referring to the English Commonwealth of 1649 to 1660?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 22:04
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    As I expected, you will just keep repeating the claim without evidence - and slowly but carefully change the claim.
    Remember that the claim was that corruption is proportional to power. Now you are merely saying that power causes corruption.

[b]Perhaps you prefer a king.

Pro tip: don't try to read minds, you are no good at it. Nothing I have said should suggest to you that I would prefer a king.[/b]
    Name a world government devoid of corruption.

Power simply magnifies such corruption and it continues with less checks and balances
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 23:55
    The British Commonwealth didn't exist until 1931. http://www.britannica.com/topic/Commonwealth-association-of-states The Founders didn't use the term "Commonwealth" because that is not what they created.

The US Constitution sharply reduced State sovereignty and had an entire section (Article I, section 10) specifically banning States from exercising many of their previous powers. Article IV also did away with various sovereign prerogatives.
    Yeh, and they also got rid of the phase "perpetual union".
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 00:15
    Yeh, and they also got rid of the phase "perpetual union".
    And made it "a more perfect Union" while retaining its perpetual nature.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 01:37
    And made it "a more perfect Union" while retaining its perpetual nature.
    They forgot to mention the perpetual part, perhaps a reflection of humility in that their perpetual union didn't make it past a decade.

"More perfect" is an oxymoron. It is a superlative. Try more best on for size.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 16:471 edit
    They forgot to mention the perpetual part, perhaps a reflection of humility in that their perpetual union didn't make it past a decade.

"More perfect" is an oxymoron. It is a superlative. Try more best on for size.
    The perpetual union was that entity defined and created by ratification of the "Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union." When the articles were replaced by the ratification of the Constitution, was there a ratified declaration in it or elsewhere of the dissolution and subsequent constitution of a new union?

I'm asking, only asking. Perhaps some federal or states' ratification documents said this?
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 16:59
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Perhaps he was referring to the English Commonwealth of 1649 to 1660?
    Yes.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 17:21
    Originally posted by JS357
    The perpetual union was that entity defined and created by ratification of the "Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union." When the articles were replaced by the ratification of the Constitution, what there a ratified declaration in it or elsewhere of the dissolution and subsequent constitution of a new union?

I'm asking, only asking. Perhaps some federal or states' ratification documents said this?
    Perpetual anything is perhaps an overly optimistic goal. As you are probably aware, no1 and I have danced around this issue many times. His attempt is to make the secession by the CSA illegal, but this has been argued both before and after the Civil War, by scholars far closer than either of us, with no conclusive end.

I like to think that Jefferson, much closer to the actual documents and debates knew something, when he said, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff109180.html#kfQ8GYP73yF5H6ek.99

Also, ".....our attachment to no nation on earth should supplant our attachment to liberty."

I am certain that the founders wanted the Union to be permanent, but were realistic enough to know that might not be possible. After all they were separating from their colonial origins, as Englishmen. They would have to fight against George III's soldiers, and perhaps face the gallows if they lost.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree