1. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 17:561 edit
    After receiving an unsolicited PM by a member whose identity I won't disclose, let's call him/her Person X, it has transpired that this user has a PhD in a very respected field of knowledge.

From what I could get from his/her interventions in this forum I didn't think that his/her claim was true (in the very unlikely event that it was true it had to be a Bogdanoff affair kind of PhD, or maybe his/her advisor was from Social Text) so I put him/her up to a test.

Needless to say that Person X failed miserably.

You now have the chance to measure up against Person X, and remember that he/she has a PhD in very well thought field, and see if you can give the correct answer to the question.
    I'll change the question a little bit, but the spirit of it will stay the same, so not to give away the identity of Person X.

Without further ado:

What is the truth value of the following proposition:

All three legged, red eyed, two headed Japanese eat red bananas.

Remember that you have to say what is the truth value of this proposition and justify why this is so.

Ps: After a few more PMs it has transpired that even though Person X has started his studies in the well thought and highly intellectual field he/she hasn't finished it, but (and bear with me here) he/she still has the skills.
    Of course I won't quote and repeat directly what Person X has told me but do believe that this is a 100% accurate paraphrase of what Person X has said.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 17:59
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    What is the truth value of the following proposition:

All three legged, red eyed, two headed Japanese eat red bananas
    I say the statement is true.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 18:01
    After receiving an unsolicited PM by a member whose identity I won't disclose, let's call him Person X, it has transpired that this user has a PhD in a very respected field of knowledge.

From what I could get from his/her interventions in this forum I didn't think that his/her claim was true (in the very unlikely event that it was true it had to be a ...[text shortened]... son X has told me but do believe that this is a 100% paraphrase of what Person X has said.
    niche subject?
  4. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 18:02
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I say the statement is true.
    What about the justification?

Please PM it to me.
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 18:03
    After receiving an unsolicited PM by a member whose identity I won't disclose, let's call him Person X, it has transpired that this user has a PhD in a very respected field of knowledge.

From what I could get from his/her interventions in this forum I didn't think that his/her claim was true (in the very unlikely event that it was true it had to be a ...[text shortened]... son X has told me but do believe that this is a 100% paraphrase of what Person X has said.
    A = All three legged, red eyed, two headed Japanese

B = three legged, red eyed, two headed Japanese who red bananas

A != B
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 18:14
    X = generalissimo

What do I win?
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 18:16
    Originally posted by Palynka
    X = generalissimo

What do I win?
    Now, now of course I won't tell you who Person X was, since it would be highly unethical on my part. 😵 😉

But you can always join the challenge. Truth value and justification.
  8. Pepperland
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 18:19
    Now, now of course I won't tell you who Person X was, since it would be highly unethical on my part. 😵 😉

you people just don't have any sense of humor, I made a sarcastic comment which was misinterpreted by a guy who is arguably mentally unstable (given his history of threats and abusive behavior). thats all.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 18:241 edit

The statement is true.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 18:263 edits
    After receiving an unsolicited PM by a member whose identity I won't disclose, let's call him/her Person X, it has transpired that this user has a PhD in a very respected field of knowledge.

From what I could get from his/her interventions in this forum I didn't think that his/her claim was true (in the very unlikely event that it was true it had to told me but do believe that this is a 100% accurate paraphrase of what Person X has said.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_table

Logical implication
    Logical implication and the material conditional are both associated with an operation on two logical values, typically the values of two propositions, that produces a value of false just in the singular case the first operand is true and the second operand is false.

The truth table associated with the material conditional if p then q (symbolized as p → q) and the logical implication p implies q (symbolized as p ⇒ q) is as follows:

Logical Implication p q p-->q
    1.T T T
    2.T F F
    3.F T T
    4.F F T

p = "a being is three-legged, red-eyed, two-headed, and Japanese"
    q = "it eats red bananas"
    p-->q is thus true in all cases where:

(1) p & q are both true -- the mutant banana-eater exists, and this being does indeed eat red bananas
    (3 & 4) p is false -- the mutant banana-easter doesn't exist.

p-->q is false ONLY if:

(2) p is true and q is false -- the mutant banana-eater exists, and this being never eats red bananas
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 18:45
    Mel nailed it. The statement is true.
  12. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 18:47
    i know a three legged, red eyed, two headed Japanese that doesn't eat red bananas.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 18:49
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    i know a three legged, red eyed, two headed Japanese that doesn't eat red bananas.
    FMF doesn't count
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 18:55
    Originally posted by sh76
    FMF doesn't count
    see, there's another!
  15. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 19:02
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The statement is true.
    Justification please.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree