1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '20 23:581 edit
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/philippines-duterte-threatens-end-military-173421461.html

MANILA (Reuters) - Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte warned the United States on Thursday he would repeal an agreement on deployment of troops and equipment for exercises if Washington did not reinstate the visa of a political ally.

Visibly upset, Duterte vented his anger over the U.S. decision to deny entry to Ronaldo dela Rosa, a former police chief who is now a senator.

Dela Rosa said the U.S. embassy in the Philippines did not explain why his visa had been cancelled but that he believed it was most likely because of allegations of extrajudicial killings during his more than two-year term as police chief.

Dela Rosa was the chief enforcer of Duterte's anti-narcotics crackdown, which has resulted in deaths of more than 5,000 people, mostly small-time drug dealers. Police say victims were shot by officers in self-defense.

"If you do not do the correction, one, I will terminate the bases, the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA). I will finish that son of a bitch," Duterte said in a wide-ranging speech before former Communist rebels. "I am giving the government and the American government one month from now."

The Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA), signed in 1998, accorded legal status to thousands of U.S. troops who were rotated in the country for military exercises and humanitarian assistance operations.

Delfin Lorezana, Duterte's defense minister, declined to comment when asked if he agreed with the president's plan.

Duterte makes no secret of his disdain for the United States and what he considers its hypocrisy and interference, though he acknowledges that most Filipinos and his military have high regard for their country's former colonial ruler.

The United States is the Philippines' biggest defense ally and millions of Filipinos have relatives who are U.S. citizens.

Last month, Duterte banned U.S. senators Richard Durbin and Patrick Leahy from visiting the Philippines after they introduced a provision in the U.S. Congress.

The provision calls the ban on U.S. entry to anyone involved in locking up Philippine senator Leila de Lima, a former justice minister and Duterte's top critic who was jailed in 2017 on drug charges after leading an investigation into thousands of deaths during the anti-narcotics campaign.

She has won numerous awards from human rights groups, which consider her a prisoner of conscience.

The U.S. Embassy in Manila could not immediately be reached for comment outside office hours.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '20 00:011 edit
    So what should Trump do so we are all on record before he does it and is condemned for it no matter what that decision will be?

Does the US have the right to condemn the Philippines for trying to contain the drug epidemic that sees about 200 people a day die in the US because the US refuses to attack it as hard?

In fact, which is more human? Letting 200 people plus die a day or what the Philippine leader has done?
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Jan '20 00:281 edit
    @whodey said
    So what should Trump do so we are all on record before he does it and is condemned for it no matter what that decision will be?

Does the US have the right to condemn the Philippines for trying to contain the drug epidemic that sees about 200 people a day die in the US because the US refuses to attack it as hard?

In fact, which is more human? Letting 200 people plus die a day or what the Philippine leader has done?
    Trump supported Duarte's program of extrajudicial killings:

"“I just wanted to congratulate you because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem,” Trump told Duterte, according to the transcript. “Many countries have the problem, we have a problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that.”

According to the State Department’s 2016 Human Rights Report, which was last updated in March, police and vigilantes in the Philippines had killed more than 6,000 suspected drug dealers since July, the month after Duterte took office. An “apparent governmental disregard for human rights and due process” was among the State Department’s “most significant human rights problems” in the Philippines."

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/24/trump-rodrigo-duterte-call-transcript-238758

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the State Department reverse the visa denial.

EDIT: Your hypocrisy is quite astounding; you are constantly railing against the power of the State but seem to be supporting extrajudicial killings by the State to "solve" the problem of recreational drug use. That's quite an interesting view for a purported opponent of Big Government.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '20 01:06
    @whodey said
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/philippines-duterte-threatens-end-military-173421461.html

MANILA (Reuters) - Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte warned the United States on Thursday he would repeal an agreement on deployment of troops and equipment for exercises if Washington did not reinstate the visa of a political ally.

Visibly upset, Duterte vented his anger over the U.S ...[text shortened]... ce.

The U.S. Embassy in Manila could not immediately be reached for comment outside office hours.
    The Philippines is a puppet nation of the USA. Duterte has no control over the news media there. Nothing will change.
  5. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    25 Jan '20 02:23
    very interesting turn of events.

Iraq, the Philippines, who's next?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '20 14:071 edit
    @no1marauder said
    Trump supported Duarte's program of extrajudicial killings:

"“I just wanted to congratulate you because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem,” Trump told Duterte, according to the transcript. “Many countries have the problem, we have a problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that.”

According to the State ...[text shortened]... recreational drug use. That's quite an interesting view for a purported opponent of Big Government.
    So according to you, letting about 200 people die a day in the US is perfectly fine. Thought so.

The issue, according to the article, are restrictions placed on the country for their supposed human rights violations.

So for the record, what should Trump do here, let them kick the US out or remove the restrictions?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree