1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 15:231 edit
    http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/888472--god-will-save-us-from-climate-change-u-s-representative

U.S. Representative John Shimkus, possible future chairman of the Congressional committee that deals with energy and its attendant environmental concerns, believes that climate change should not concern us since God has already promised not to destroy the Earth.

Shimkus, an evangelical Christian and a Republican member of the House from Illinois, on Tuesday signalled his desire to become chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

The Energy and Commerce committee is among the most powerful in the U.S. Congress, with a wide-ranging purview over legislation touching on energy policy, environmental initiatives and public health.

Shimkus already serves on the committee. During a hearing in 2009, he dismissed the dangers of climate change and the warnings of the scientific community by quoting the Bible.

First, he noted God’s post-Flood promise to Noah in Genesis 8:21-22.

“Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though all inclinations of his heart are evil from childhood and never again will I destroy all living creatures as I have done.

“As long as the earth endures, seed time and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, will never cease.”

“I believe that’s the infallible word of God, and that’s the way it’s going to be for his creation,” Shimkus said.

Then he quoted Matthew 24:31.

“And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds from one end of the heavens to the other.”

“The Earth will end only when God declares it’s time to be over. Man will not destroy this Earth. This Earth will not be destroyed by a Flood,” Shimkus asserted. “I do believe that God’s word is infallible, unchanging, perfect.”

Following the Republican wave in the recent Congressional elections, the committee will shift from Democratic to Republican leadership.

On Tuesday, Shimkus sent a letter to his colleagues burnishing his credentials by saying he is “uniquely qualified among a group of talented contenders to lead the Energy and Commerce Committee.”

Say it ain't so, America. Say it ain't so.

As a public servant, this man has a duty to represent the people who elected him, not himself and his own beliefs. Perhaps he should consider a role in the Committee to reunite Church and State instead of the Congressional chairman position?
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 16:46
    Originally posted by darvlay
    http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/888472--god-will-save-us-from-climate-change-u-s-representative

[quote]U.S. Representative John Shimkus, possible future chairman of the Congressional committee that deals with energy and its attendant environmental concerns, believes that climate change should not concern us since God has already promised not to ...[text shortened]... e in the Committee to reunite Church and State instead of the Congressional chairman position?
    I'm pretty sure the 11th commandment is "Thou shalt drill baby drill", isn't it?
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 18:483 edits
    No, it won't be a flood.

It will be fire, supposedly.

2 Peter 3:6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly...

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.

11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12 as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Peter+3&version=NIV

Deut 32:22(A)For a fire is kindled in My anger,
    And burns to the lowest part of Sheol,
    (B)And consumes the earth with its yield,
    And sets on fire the foundations of the mountains.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deut.%2032:22;&version=NASB;

WARNING "BAD" WORDS ETC

YouTube
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 21:25

Say it ain't so, America. Say it ain't so.
    Idiocracy is in full swing.
  5. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 15:41
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    No, it won't be a flood.

It will be fire, supposedly.

2 Peter 3:6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly...

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens w ...[text shortened]... 32:22;&version=NASB;

WARNING "BAD" WORDS ETC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qmglGWMsdk
    so irreversible climate change it is then?
  6. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 16:03

[quote]U.S. Representative John Shimkus, possible future chairman of the Congressional committee that deals with energy and its attendant environmental concerns, believes that climate change should not concern us since God has already promised not to ...[text shortened]... e in the Committee to reunite Church and State instead of the Congressional chairman position?
    Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though all inclinations of his heart are evil from childhood and never again will I destroy all living creatures as I have done.

"There ain't no devil there's just god when he's drunk."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree