1. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 13:48
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    You are correct...but that is not what I said.
    me thinks no1marauder caught a case of lockjaw...
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 14:231 edit
    me thinks no1marauder caught a case of lockjaw...
    No, you didn't. You just lied; Eladar was specifically talking about impeachment and you claimed that Trump could pardon himself "before conviction". You were wrong but don't want to admit it:

Originally posted by @eladar
    He needs congress so he can't be removed from office by impeachment. He doesn't need all of the Supreme Court, just 5 judges.

YOU: Nope, he could pardon himself before conviction.
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 14:39
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    No, you didn't. You just lied; Eladar was specifically talking about impeachment and you claimed that Trump could pardon himself "before conviction". You were wrong but don't want to admit it:

Originally posted by @eladar
    He needs congress so he can't be removed from office by impeachment. He doesn't need all of the Supreme Court, just 5 judges.

YOU: Nope, he could pardon himself before conviction.
    Eladar and I were debating who the pres would need on his side. He stated congress and scotus. I stated ONLY the scotus.

Eladar stated "He needs congress so he can't be removed from office by impeachment."

I stated he could pardon himself BEFORE CONVICTION. I never said he couldn't be IMPEACHED.

That is where you make your error. And no one has lied here. YOU have jumped to a conclusion based on non comprehension.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 14:49
    Eladar and I were debating who the pres would need on his side. He stated congress and scotus. I stated ONLY the scotus.

Eladar stated "He needs congress so he can't be removed from office by impeachment."

I stated he could pardon himself BEFORE CONVICTION. I never said he couldn't be IMPEACHED.

That is where you make your error. And no one has lied here. YOU have jumped to a conclusion based on non comprehension.
    There's two possibilities:

One, you are ignorant of the fact that impeachment doesn't remove an official from office, only actual CONVICTION by the Senate does;

Two, you were aware of One but mistakenly believed that the President could pardon himself and prevent his removal from office.

Impeachment and removal is what Eladar was talking about and you are being untruthful to claim otherwise.
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 15:081 edit
    There's two possibilities:

One, you are ignorant of the fact that impeachment doesn't remove an official from office, only actual CONVICTION by the Senate does;

Two, you were aware of One but mistakenly believed that the President could pardon himself and prevent his removal from office.

Impeachment and removal is what Eladar was talking about and you are being untruthful to claim otherwise.
    I am completey aware of the system...

You wrote...:
    "One, you are ignorant of the fact that impeachment doesn't remove an official from office, only actual CONVICTION by the Senate does;'"

Yes...that is why I stated CONVICTION, you went on the impeachment angle, not me.

You wrote...

"Two, you were aware of One but mistakenly believed that the President could pardon himself and prevent his removal from office."

This goes to my point of pres needing scotus ONLY. There is no case law for a pres pardoning himself...the scotus would have to rule. That is why I say the pres only needs the scotus. Once he pardons himself the congress is out of the picture, the SCOTUS ruling is what maters at this point.

I never said he couldn't be impeached. And after pardoning himself he could still be impeached but it would be symbolic only, if the scotus has approved the pardon.

You wrote...

" Impeachment and removal is what Eladar was talking about and you are being untruthful to claim otherwise.[/b]"

Yes you are correct. I never addressed the impeachment aspect, only the removal. Your error is zeroing in on impeachment.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 15:201 edit
    I am completey aware of the system...

You wrote...:
    "One, you are ignorant of the fact that impeachment doesn't remove an official from office, only actual CONVICTION by the Senate does;'"

Yes...that is why I stated CONVICTION, you went on the impeachment angle, not me.

You wrote...

"Two, you were aware of One but mistakenly believed th ...[text shortened]... ver addressed the impeachment aspect, only the removal. Your error is zeroing in on impeachment.
    What a load.

The Constitution EXPLICITLY says the pardoning power does not extend to cases of impeachment. You apparently thought it did. No SCOTUS is going to rule differently.
  7. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 15:24
    What a load.

The Constitution EXPLICITLY says the pardoning power does not extend to cases of impeachment. You apparently thought it did. No SCOTUS is going to rule differently.
    don't go away mad...LOL
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 15:24
    don't go away mad...LOL
    You should just admit your mistake.
  9. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 15:30
    You should just admit your mistake.
    Tell you what...if you can show where I said the president can pardon himself from impeachment I will apologize.

Until then I await your apology.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 15:35
    Tell you what...if you can show where I said the president can pardon himself from impeachment I will apologize.

Until then I await your apology.
    Do you think he can pardon himself BEFORE conviction in an impeachment case and avoid removal from office IF convicted?

Yup, you do (or did before I corrected you).
  11. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 18:10
    Do you think he can pardon himself BEFORE conviction in an impeachment case and avoid removal from office IF convicted?

Yup, you do (or did before I corrected you).
    Let me stop you there. Use my words.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree