1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 14:21
    True or false? What say you?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 14:32
    True. I was at the Frankfurt Opera House recently, and it has the following utterly pretentious phrase written on it: Dem Wahren, Schönen, Guten (to the true, the beautiful, the good). Couldn't help but think they could have made it a lot more pretentious had they written it in Latin.
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 17:02
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    True. I was at the Frankfurt Opera House recently, and it has the following utterly pretentious phrase written on it: Dem Wahren, Schönen, Guten (to the true, the beautiful, the good). Couldn't help but think they could have made it a lot more pretentious had they written it in Latin.
    Pretentious != Profound

So I think you mean false, not true, and ...

enim semel tibi assentior.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 17:02
    I dunno what you said but it sounds really profound.
  5. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 17:16
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    True or false? What say you?
    In wartime Malta, a British serviceman allegedly sent a letter to the Times claiming that he had discovered a piece of ancient pottery and asking if anyone could help him translate the inscription. It read:

Iti sapis potanda bigone.
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 18:08
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    In wartime Malta, a British serviceman allegedly sent a letter to the Times claiming that he had discovered a piece of ancient pottery and asking if anyone could help him translate the inscription. It read:

Iti sapis potanda bigone.
    I say it has to do with "bathroom" humour.

Just saying.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 18:111 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Probabaly but hey, Germans are not a pretentious nation are they?
    Well at least not Frankfurters anyway...apparently.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree