1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 05:232 edits
    I'm watching Reagan's inaugural speech in 1981 now. He's talking about intending to lessen the power of the Federal government e.g. 8:58 minutes in:

YouTube

Did he lessen the "intervention and intrusion into our lives" as he put it of the Federal government? Did he limit the "unnecessary and excessive growth of government"?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 09:33
    No. Reagan was a coward. When Medicare was introduced, doomsday predictions galore. But when he had the chance to abolish it, he didn't, even though it would've made government smaller by quite a large chunk.
  3. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 14:19
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    No. Reagan was a coward. When Medicare was introduced, doomsday predictions galore. But when he had the chance to abolish it, he didn't, even though it would've made government smaller by quite a large chunk.
    I've brought up the silly doomsday predictions a number of times myself. But when did he have the chance to abolish it?
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 14:281 edit
    Reagan had no political chance to abolish Medicare and his administration knew it. His goal was welfare reform, which he had some measure of success with.

But government size is government size, and if you reduce domestic department size while massively ramping up the military then you're only reduction in government is in your own shrill hypoberlic mind.
  5. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 14:34
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Reagan had no political chance to abolish Medicare and his administration knew it. His goal was welfare reform, which he had some measure of success with.

But government size is government size, and if you reduce domestic department size while massively ramping up the military then you're only reduction in government is in your own shrill hypoberlic mind.
    Reagan presided over the largest military buildup in history. He consistently asked for and spent more money than even a Democratic congress would approve. The only change he made was to weaken the people's ability to protect themselves from thieves and confidence-men.
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 16:301 edit
    I've been waiting for the GOP to control the presidency, and both houses of Congress -- where the president actually believes in trying to make the government smaller.

I'd love to see the look on the GOP congressmen's faces at the State of the Union Address when this president makes his proposal that includes a bold plan to reduce annual spending on Medicare, Social Security, and Defense by at least 10-15% apiece.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 17:31
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Reagan presided over the largest military buildup in history. He consistently asked for and spent more money than even a Democratic congress would approve. The only change he made was to weaken the people's ability to protect themselves from thieves and confidence-men.
    To be fair, he does state in his inaugural address that he intends to keep the military strong and that we will act if need be in the interests of our national security.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree