Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 13 Sep '11 06:29
    In order to compare the effects of the independent variables, I calculated the change in the probability of supporting the Tea Party associated with an increase of one standard deviation above the mean on each independent variable with all other independent variables set at their means. For example, an increase of one standard deviation above the mean on the ideology scale is estimated to produce an increase of almost 19 percentage points in Tea Party support.

The results in Table 5 show that ideological conservatism was by far the strongest predictor of Tea Party support. In addition to conservatism, however, both racial resentment and dislike for Barack Obama had significant effects on support for the Tea Party. These two variables had much stronger effects than party identification.

http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2011/09/race-and-tea-party
  2. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    13 Sep '11 09:05
    So the tea-party is nothing but a bunch of right-wing Klu Kluxers who'll stop at nothing to start wars in third world countries they couldn't point out on a map if it would stop an abortion?

Learn something new each day!
  3. 13 Sep '11 09:55
    Andre Carson is correct that I want to see him hanging from a tree.

But his being black has nothing to do with it.
  4. 13 Sep '11 11:27
    That you want to see him hanging from a tree says all about your language, your ideas and all of those who are with you on this. If you have any heart, any love, any compassion in you, I do hope you come up with other words
  5. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    13 Sep '11 11:30
    Originally posted by Sake
    That you want to see him hanging from a tree says all about your language, your ideas and all of those who are with you on this. If you have any heart, any love, any compassion in you, I do hope you come up with other words
    He's called the bloop, for Christ's sake.
    I mean, if he can't even spell "The blob" properly, what are the chances of him writing anything coherent?
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    13 Sep '11 12:51
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    In order to compare the effects of the independent variables, I calculated the change in the probability of supporting the Tea Party associated with an increase of one standard deviation above the mean on each independent variable with all other independent variables set at their means. For example, an increase of one standard deviation above the mean ...[text shortened]... than party identification.

Oh, spare me. Please.

This kind of BS after the fact statistical manipulations and working backwards to make the numbers correlate with your political agenda would never be tolerated with most groups of people.

Because Tea Partiers are more likely than the population as a whole to have "racial hostility" (and I'd love to know how he defines that), the Tea Party is a racist movement???

What outrageous balderdash! What disgusting broad brush painting, stereotyping and discrimination.

If I came on here and posted that black people are one standard deviation more likely to be convicted criminals than white people and that therefore black people are a criminal and dangerous group, Kevin Drum and Alan Abramowitz and Kunsoo and most other sane people would tell me to shut up and stop stereotyping and to judge people based on their individual merits.

The Tea Party does not have any racist platforms and this consistent movement to try to paint it as a racist organization based on subjective analysis of the personal lives or beliefs of some of its members is as cynical a political ploy as can be imagined.

Kunsoo, you consistently attack Republicans for their political tactics against the Obama administration. Fine. Some GOP tactics are wrong; but is this tactic of trying to discredit the TP ideas by tarring its membership as racist any better??

Please look in the mirror and contemplate that question before you answer.
  7. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    13 Sep '11 13:21
    Originally posted by sh76
    Oh, spare me. Please.

This kind of BS after the fact statistical manipulations and working backwards to make the numbers correlate with your political agenda would never be tolerated with most groups of people.

Because Tea Partiers are more likely than the population as a whole to have "racial hostility" (and I'd love to know how he defines that), the Tea ...[text shortened]... t any better??

Oh the same could be said of the Klu Klux Klan.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    13 Sep '11 13:36
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Oh the same could be said of the Klu Klux Klan.
    The KKK had an openly racist platform. In fact, their very existence was based on racist ideology.
  9. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    13 Sep '11 13:58
    The KKK had an openly racist platform. In fact, their very existence was based on racist ideology.
    You crazy Americans, you.
  10. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    13 Sep '11 14:15 / 1 edit
    Another day, another hateful accusation of racism from the left. Keep it coming Kunsoo.
  11. 13 Sep '11 15:27
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    So the tea-party is nothing but a bunch of right-wing Klu Kluxers who'll stop at nothing to start wars in third world countries they couldn't point out on a map if it would stop an abortion?

Learn something new each day!
    Well, no, that's not exactly what it said. But if it makes you feel more comfortable to live in denial as to what the Tea Party actually does represent, then don't let the data get in your way.
  12. 13 Sep '11 15:27
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    Andre Carson is correct that I want to see him hanging from a tree.

But his being black has nothing to do with it.
    Wow!
  13. 13 Sep '11 15:30
    Oh, spare me. Please.

Because Tea Partiers are more likely than the population as a whole to have "racial hostility" (and I'd love to know how he defines that), the Tea ...[text shortened]... t any better??

So can you be specific as to your criticism of the study, or are you just going to paint with a broad brush and leave it at that? FYI - they are not saying that all or even most Tea Party supporters are racist. Your posts are usually more thoughtful and less emotional.
  14. 13 Sep '11 16:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    In order to compare the effects of the independent variables, I calculated the change in the probability of supporting the Tea Party associated with an increase of one standard deviation above the mean on each independent variable with all other independent variables set at their means. For example, an increase of one standard deviation above the mean ...[text shortened]... than party identification.

In the spirit of casting light and not heat, and without injecting my opinion at this time, I am citing a link to the questionnaire that Abramowitz refers to in his paper. I was not able to find the survey results but the questions may be of interest to some here.

http://www.electionstudies.org/studypages/2010_2012EGSS/2010OctoberFreshCross_qnaire.pdf

This appears to be a late or final draft of a guide for administration of the q'airre. It includes the questions.

Abramowitz discusses racial resentment as a factor.

The section labeled "Racial Resentment Scale" is on page 19 and 20.

For those not inclined to look at the q'airre, here are the Racial Resentment Scale questions:

quote:

Do you agree strongly, agree somewhat, neither agree nor disagree, disagree somewhat, or
    disagree strongly with this statement?
    Irish, Italians, Jewish and many other minorities overcame prejudice and worked their way up.
    Blacks should do the same without any special favors.
    __ Agree strongly [1]
    __ Agree somewhat [2]
    __ Neither agree nor disagree [3]
    __ Disagree somewhat [4]
    __ Disagree strongly [5]
    [SP]
    [ZH2] Do you agree strongly, agree somewhat, neither agree nor disagree, disagree somewhat, or
    Generations of slavery and discrimination have created conditions that make it difficult for blacks
    to work their way out of the lower class.
    __ Agree strongly [1]
    __ Agree somewhat [2]
    __ Disagree somewhat [4]
    __ Disagree strongly [5]
    [SP]
    [ZH3] Do you agree strongly, agree somewhat, neither agree nor disagree, disagree somewhat, or
    Over the past few years, blacks have gotten less than they deserve.
    __ Agree strongly [1]
    __ Agree somewhat [2]
    __ Disagree somewhat [4]
    __ Disagree strongly [5]
    [SP]
    [ZH4] Do you agree strongly, agree somewhat, neither agree nor disagree, disagree somewhat, or
    It’s really a matter of some people not trying hard enough; if blacks would only try harder they
    could be just as well off as whites.
    __ Agree strongly [1]
    __ Agree somewhat [2]
    __ Disagree somewhat [4]
    __ Disagree strongly [5

end quote
  15. 13 Sep '11 17:20 / 1 edit
    Oh, spare me. Please.

The cited Abramowitz paper is more restrained in its conclusions than are the interpreters of that paper.

Here is a paper that disputes the idea that racial resentment is an indicator of racism. Unfortunately it is only the abstract, but it shows that there is scholarly disagreement with how Abramowitz' paper is being interpreted.

http://ann.sagepub.com/content/634/1/98.abstract

quote:

Abstract

A new racism, it is claimed, has become a dominant feature of contemporary American politics. According to the theory’s originators, the new racism has largely replaced the old racism, which was based on the alleged biological inferiority of blacks. The new racism, referred to as “symbolic racism” or, more recently, “racial resentment,” by contrast, is defined as a conjunction of anti-black feelings and American moral traditionalism. According to its proponents, this new racism now structures and dominates the racial thinking of whites generally. Howard Schuman has suggested, however, that the index used to measure racial resentment may be fundamentally flawed because it may be conflated with the measurement of attitudes toward racial policies. The authors’ analysis supports Schuman’s suggestion. They conclude that racial resentment is not a valid measure of racism, which raises questions about the extent to which a new racism now dominates the thinking of white Americans. [bold added]

end quote

It is not clearly stated in the abstract that the 'index' used is that referenced by Abramowitz, but it seems likely. The survey draft I cited that surveys "racial resentment" was dated Oct/2010, the above paper Mar/2011, and Abramowitz' presentation of his paper Sep/2011.