1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 07:45
    Newsweek columnist John Avlon begins his column as follows:

So here's what I learned watching Thursday night's Republican debate:

States' rights should rule the day, unless you're gay.

Small government is the rule unless a rapist impregnates his victim.

Loyalty oaths should be the new normal.

Ten-to-one spending cuts to tax increases is an ideologically unacceptable compromise.

And refusing to raise the debt ceiling is a stand for fiscal responsibility even if it were to trigger an immediate default.

And then he proceeds to analyze Thursday night's debate.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-08-12/opinion/avlon.gop.debate_1_debt-ceiling-straw-poll-oaths?_s=PM😲PINION

He declare Mitt Romney the winner, but praised Bachman. And like others, he's writing Pawlenty's political eulogy.
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 14:22
    Originally posted by Kunsoo

[i]So here's what I learned watching Thursday night's Republican debate:

Ten-to-one spending cuts to tax increases is an i ...[text shortened]... winner, but praised Bachman. And like others, he's writing Pawlenty's political eulogy.
    There you go thinking again! Now cut that out....it's downright...UnAmerican!😠
  3. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 01:43
    Ah, Newsweek. A fine publication.

I was this close to buying it, actually making an offer for more than it was worth. Unfortunately, I was outbid.
  4. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 05:36

Ten-to-one spending cuts to tax increases is an i ...[text shortened]... winner, but praised Bachman. And like others, he's writing Pawlenty's political eulogy.
    Fascinating. To be sure, the Republican nominee will be far-right and have a difficult time appealing to independents and swing voters who decide the general election. As even Newt said, the President will be very difficult to beat in 2012.

The Republicans really do not have a viable candidate, except maybe Romney who has name recognition but is distasteful as a RINO to the Republican rank-and-file activists. I don't know enough about Huntsman, and while he caters ocassionally to the far and religious right as any Republican candidate must, he might be a Mormon who is moderate enough to be competitive in the general election.
  5. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 05:561 edit
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Fascinating. To be sure, the Republican nominee will be far-right and have a difficult time appealing to independents and swing voters who decide the general election. As even Newt said, the President will be very difficult to beat in 2012.

The Republicans really do not have a viable candidate, except maybe Romney who has name recognition but is dist te must, he might be a Mormon who is moderate enough to be competitive in the general election.
    Huntsman was--at least for a while there--the only potential nominee that "scared" the Obama reelection campaign.

For example, here's an article from '09:

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/Obamas-campaign-manager-fears-Jon-Huntsman-the/aaMghWe9q0qqXjkPpGB4NA.cspx
  6. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 06:09
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Huntsman was--at least for a while there--the only potential nominee that "scared" the Obama reelection campaign.

For example, here's an article from '09:

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/Obamas-campaign-manager-fears-Jon-Huntsman-the/aaMghWe9q0qqXjkPpGB4NA.cspx
    Interesting.

Huntsman walks the necessary tight rope with the far right, but he seems to be the most moderate and viable Republican candidate for the general election, in addition to Romney.
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 06:11
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Interesting.

Huntsman walks the necessary tight rope with the far right, but he seems to be the most moderate and viable Republican candidate for the general election, in addition to Romney.
    His tacit affirmation that he would not support a compromise deficit reduction package composed of 10:1 spending cuts to tax revenues increases will come back to haunt him in the general election, if he were to win the nomination.

Tight-rope walking is one thing; tight-rope spinning is another.
  8. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 07:14
    His tacit affirmation that he would not support a compromise deficit reduction package composed of 10:1 spending cuts to tax revenues increases will come back to haunt him in the general election, if he were to win the nomination.

It'll haunt whoever wins the nomination, but he or she has to appease the wingnuts to get there.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 10:27

Who are all these people?
    Who the hell are?

Oh don't worry. I don't care.
  10. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 10:541 edit

Good point

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree