Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    25 Feb '11 04:50 / 1 edit
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/146336/Issues-Divide-Republicans-Views-Potential-2012-Contenders.aspx?version=print

Preferences for 2012 Republican Presidential Nominee, by Issue Set Chosen as Most Important in Thinking About Politics:

Biggest Priority__________Huckabee_____Romney_____Palin_____Gingrich

Gov't spending/power______18%_________17%_______11%______13%
    Business/economy________13%_________20%_______17%______8%
    Social/moral issues_______28%_________7%________19%______6%
    National security_________20%_________17%_______22%______9%

So, Sarah Palin is the go-to candidate for national security concerns?
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    25 Feb '11 14:01
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/146336/Issues-Divide-Republicans-Views-Potential-2012-Contenders.aspx?version=print

Preferences for 2012 Republican Presidential Nominee, by Issue Set Chosen as Most Important in Thinking About Politics:

Gov't spending/power______18%_________17%_______ ...[text shortened]... 17%_______22%______9%

Hey, don't mess. She can see Russia from a completely remote, never visited, part of her state!

3. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    26 Feb '11 00:46
    Originally posted by wittywonka

Gov't spending/power______18%_________17%_______ ...[text shortened]... 17%_______22%______9%

Just my guess, but I'd pick Romney as the strongest candidate. He has brains, organization, and lots of $$$.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Feb '11 01:08
    Originally posted by bill718
    Just my guess, but I'd pick Romney as the strongest candidate. He has brains, organization, and lots of $$$.
    None of those four have a snowball's chance in hell against Obama.
  5. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    26 Feb '11 02:18
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    None of those four have a snowball's chance in hell against Obama.
    I think your are correct, but I still see Romney as the best GOP hope.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Feb '11 03:39 / 1 edit
    I think your are correct, but I still see Romney as the best GOP hope.
    I don't think Obama will lose (assuming the economy continues to improve even at a marginal rate) but I think a Republican governor who has had some measure of success and shows less ideological rigidity than the frontrunners would be their best shot. Romney fit that bill four years ago, but his pandering and policy shifts have killed any credibility he might have had.

I think Mitch Daniels would be the GOP's best shot (read David Brooks piece about him from the NY Times at http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/25/opinion/25brooks.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss) or perhaps Christie (though the latter might be too abrasive).
  7. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    26 Feb '11 04:33
    I don't think Obama will lose (assuming the economy continues to improve even at a marginal rate) but I think a Republican governor who has had some measure of success and shows less ideological rigidity than the frontrunners would be their best shot. Romney fit that bill four years ago, but his pandering and policy shifts have killed any credibility he ...[text shortened]... ml?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss) or perhaps Christie (though the latter might be too abrasive).
    Yep, but you'll be glad to hear he's just pissed off a good chunk of the base.

http://minx.cc/?post=312395
  8. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    26 Feb '11 12:52
    I don't think Obama will lose (assuming the economy continues to improve even at a marginal rate) but I think a Republican governor who has had some measure of success and shows less ideological rigidity than the frontrunners would be their best shot. Romney fit that bill four years ago, but his pandering and policy shifts have killed any credibility he ...[text shortened]... ml?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss) or perhaps Christie (though the latter might be too abrasive).
    I think the vast overreach of the new Republican governors, like Scott Walker, is going to backfire on the party badly. I predict a massive beating for Republicans in 2012. The Democrats will make huge gains in both houses and then red states will start seceding. The new civil war will commence somewhere between 2012 and 2020. A house divided cannot stand.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Feb '11 13:01
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Yep, but you'll be glad to hear he's just pissed off a good chunk of the base.

http://minx.cc/?post=312395
    Excellent.
  10. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    26 Feb '11 15:59
    Excellent.
    It's clear both parties have made some errors regarding political strategy. In general however I see the Democrats holding on to the Whitehouse and the Senate in 2012, the house is too close to call, I'd rate it a toss up for now. Nevertheless, this shows the old GOP theory of America as a "center-right nation" to be incorrect.
  11. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Feb '11 16:12
    It's clear both parties have made some errors regarding political strategy. In general however I see the Democrats holding on to the Whitehouse and the Senate in 2012, the house is too close to call, I'd rate it a toss up for now. Nevertheless, this shows the old GOP theory of America as a "center-right nation" to be incorrect.
    I doubt the Democrats will hold the Senate in 2012; the Republicans have only 10 of the 33 seats to defend and only Scott Brown's looks vulnerable. By contrast, the Dems have retiring incumbents in North Dakota and Virginia and very tough races in Montana and Nebraska. Probably at least a half dozen other Democratic seats will be competitive. Avoiding a net loss of 4 looks like an uphill battle.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    26 Feb '11 16:37
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I think the vast overreach of the new Republican governors, like Scott Walker, is going to backfire on the party badly. I predict a massive beating for Republicans in 2012. The Democrats will make huge gains in both houses and then red states will start seceding. The new civil war will commence somewhere between 2012 and 2020. A house divided cannot stand.
    iTIERRA Y LIBERTIDAD!
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    27 Feb '11 01:09
    On the contrary, the fact that a hard right GOP can keep pace with the center-left Dems shows more than anything that the US is a center-right country.
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    27 Feb '11 01:15
    Christie would truly be a different type of candidate.

Recent history shows that people who speak their mind don't win nominations for President. By the time a Presidential candidate slogs through the grueling process of becoming elected President, he has all the pizazz of vanilla pudding.

Christie won't do that. I don't think he'd be willing to tone down his rhetoric, pander to the next-to-vote and filter every word through six layers of campaign bureaucracy.

I'd like to see him run; but I don't think he will; and if he does, I foresee a quick flameout after he yells at a crowd of corn farmers in an Iowa high school gym:

"Listen you bunch of wusses, the ethanol tax credit sucks! My first act a President is going to be to eliminate it and jack up taxes on all of you useless neanderthals for good measure. So stop whining and go marry each other for all I care; I hear you can do that in this state."
  15. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    28 Feb '11 03:44
    Originally posted by sh76
    On the contrary, the fact that a hard right GOP can keep pace with the center-left Dems shows more than anything that the US is a center-right country.
    That remains to be seen. We'll find out in November of 2012. For now, I'll stand by my predictions.