Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 13 Feb '10 08:33
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/retire-at-68-threequarters-of-us-will-be-too-ill-to-even-work-that-long-1895812.html

    Retire at 68? Three-quarters of us will be too ill to even work that long...

    Report claims nation's health is so poor that bid to raise retirement age could be stopped dead in its tracks

    By Sarah Cassidy, Social Affairs Correspondent

    Thursday, 11 February 2010

    All but the richest Britons are dying early and suffering years of ill health because of "unfair and unjust" inequalities. The richest live seven years longer than the poorest and enjoy an extra 17 years of good health, according to the review led by Professor Sir Michael Marmot of University College London.

    Life expectancy for the worst-off has improved by 2.9 years in the last decade, but much more needs to be done if the retirement age is to be raised to 68, warned the report.

    Health inequalities are normally associated with the poorest in society, but everyone except those at the top is affected, it concluded.

    ...
  2. 13 Feb '10 08:34
    maybe we NEED the 2.3 trillion no1m mentioned the govt taking from Social Security, to reduce the retirement age to 60, rather than raising it to 70 or whatever.
  3. Standard member StarValleyWy
    BentnevolentDictater
    13 Feb '10 08:40
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    maybe we NEED the 2.3 trillion no1m mentioned the govt taking from Social Security, to reduce the retirement age to 60, rather than raising it to 70 or whatever.
    I am 62 and I just gave a year of my life to a cause. I also just sold the rights to a software system that will make me rich.

    I am moving to Africa and will spend my money on my friends.

    Retire? Why? My old '89 GMC has perfectly good tires.

    Government Sucks! OooRah!
  4. 13 Feb '10 09:13
    what about the people who don't have something to sell that will make them rich?
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    13 Feb '10 13:15
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    maybe we NEED the 2.3 trillion no1m mentioned the govt taking from Social Security, to reduce the retirement age to 60, rather than raising it to 70 or whatever.
    That money is already in essence owed to those who will be elderly in the future.

    Maybe we should work on getting rid of the "unjust and unfair inequalities" instead.
  6. 14 Feb '10 06:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That money is already in essence owed to those who will be elderly in the future.

    Maybe we should work on getting rid of the "unjust and unfair inequalities" instead.
    fat chance of them getting it!

    is equitable interest paid on it?

    don't corporations have to disgorge cash to shareholders when they're sitting on too much?
  7. 15 Feb '10 01:53
    Originally posted by StarValleyWy
    I am 62 and I just gave a year of my life to a cause. I also just sold the rights to a software system that will make me rich.

    I am moving to Africa and will spend my money on my friends.

    Retire? Why? My old '89 GMC has perfectly good tires.

    Government Sucks! OooRah!
    Hey, don't forget your buddy from the other side of that divide..:-)