1. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 08:13
    According to John Adams, one of George Washington's talents was his wealth.
    “There is nothing… to which Mankind bow down with more reverence than to great fortune.”

https://allthingsliberty.com/2014/07/washingtons-10-talents-according-to-john-adams/

Do some Trump supporters support him out of reverence for wealth?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 08:351 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    “There is nothing… to which Mankind bow down with more reverence than to great fortune.”

https://allthingsliberty.com/2014/07/washingtons-10-talents-according-to-john-adams/

Possibly but I think many are simply are fed up with what they perceive as self serving political dynasties so remote from the experience of working people as to be seen to be living on another planet. To be fair though Mr Trump has used his wealth as a kind of selling point, 'I know how to create jobs', blah blah blah and he has lauded those who have great wealth too, citing them as some kind of example of excellence based on their wealth.

This election is like inmates voting for the election of a new governor for the jail, its lunacy.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 08:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Possibly but I think many are simply are fed up with what they perceive as self serving political dynasties so remote from the experience of working people as to be seen to be living on another planet.
    Surely Trump fits that description far better than most of his opponents in the republican primaries?
  4. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 09:28
    Surely Trump fits that description far better than most of his opponents in the republican primaries?
    Trump is Keeping up with the Kardashians meets Entourage.

It's rolling with the high rollers throwing shade at 3 in the morning on Twitter.

Trevor Noah on The Daily Show has him totally pegged. Trump is an African dictator. Trump in the White House is Jacob Zuma running the free world, but Trump's fans don't care. They live vicariously through his wealth and gold plated brand, living large as he tells it like it is.

What is interesting is how he has managed to parcel himself off as just another ordinary Joe, who can lead the electorate to a former greater glory, when his long history of self serving promotion shows that Trump only truly serves a constituency of 1.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 10:29

Yes - it is due to a common idea known as the Just-world Hypothesis, which has several subscribers on this forum such as normbenign and quackquack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis

The idea in a nutshell is that when you work hard/are talented/etc., you will succeed. The corollary of this idea is that when you don't succeed, it's because you haven't worked hard, and often also the idea that those who did succeed did so because they worked hard. Subscribers to the just-world hypothesis will often tout Trump for his business acumen even though he is an incompetent conman who inherited his wealth from his daddy and squandered most of it.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 11:591 edit

The reason I revere George Washington is that he risked his wealth for the cause of freedom. If the Revolution had failed, which is probably should have, he would have been hung.

I rever Washington because he was a man of faith.

I revere Washington because he defied the odds, he battled continual failure, yet he never surrendered.

I also revere Washington because he had the opportunity to be king, but turned it down and instead fortified the power of the Continental Congress.

And lastly, I revere George Washington because he stepped down after serving 2 terms as President, a tradition that was followed until the power hungry Progressive FDR.

And no, I don't revere George Washington just because of his wealth. If that were the case, I would also revere the Clintons.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 12:10
    Wealth isn't the reason Trump supporters follow him, since most politicians are wealthy. The last Republican president came from a rich family with connections to Big Oil. Rich presidential candidates are nothing new.

Trump supporters only care about his wealth as a way to legitimize him as a choice for president, e.g. that he'll do go for the economy because he's good with money (which is also false, being bankrupt four times and claiming a nearly a billion in loses one year).
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 12:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    The reason I revere George Washington is that he risked his wealth for the cause of freedom. If the Revolution had failed, which is probably should have, he would have been hung.

I rever Washington because he was a man of faith.

I revere Washington because he defied the odds, he battled continual failure, yet he never surrendered.

I also revere Wash ...[text shortened]... Washington just because of his wealth. If that were the case, I would also revere the Clintons.
    A whodey post that is 97% sarcasm free. I approve.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 12:151 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    Wealth isn't the reason Trump supporters follow him, since most politicians are wealthy. The last Republican president came from a rich family with connections to Big Oil. Rich presidential candidates are nothing new.

Trump supporters only care about his wealth as a way to legitimize him as a choice for president, e.g. that he'll do go for the economy bec ...[text shortened]... ich is also false, being bankrupt four times and claiming a nearly a billion in loses one year).
    If you want to become wealthy, become a lawyer and then politician you see today.

None of them are revered.

They will all wind up in the dung heap of history, a byword, and finally forgotten forever.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 12:17
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    A whodey post that is 97% sarcasm free. I approve.
    What was the 3% sarcasm? 😲
  11. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 12:30
    What was the 3% sarcasm? 😲
    It's a whodey post, and therefore retains of whiff of sarcasm through association alone. It's your brand.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 12:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Possibly but I think many are simply are fed up with what they perceive as self serving political dynasties so remote from the experience of working people as to be seen to be living on another planet. To be fair though Mr Trump has used his wealth as a kind of selling point, 'I know how to create jobs', blah blah blah and he has lauded those who ha ...[text shortened]... his election is like inmates voting for the election of a new governor for the jail, its lunacy.
    You should know.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 13:00
    And no, I don't revere George Washington just because of his wealth.
    Whodey totally misses the point as usual.
    And your knowledge of american history is abysmal.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 13:01

So many in the Republican party, with their reverence for businesspeople, believe that businesspeople are best qualified to run a country. This is ridiculous. Running a corporation is more like running a dictatorship. Your rule is law. The USA, however, is a democracy. We decided on a President and a separation of powers, instead of a King, for this very reason. Unfortunately, because of the massive amount of money it takes to win a presidential campaign, money has become the single biggest factor in an election. This is why the Citizens United decision needs to be overturned, as one step to remove the debilitating effects of money in politics.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 13:10
    And lastly, I revere George Washington because he stepped down after serving 2 terms as President, a tradition that was followed until the power hungry Progressive FDR.
    Power hungry FDR? Seriously?

The man was elected to four terms because he was precisely the man the country needed at that time. FDR saved this country from the horrible antics of the Hoover administration and put this country on a solid footing to recover from the Great Depression. The country was secure because of the steps he took until Reagan was elected and nearly destroyed the USA and we are still suffering from the effects of his disastrous acts while in office. We were lucky to get 13 years out of Roosevelt.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree