1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 14:10
    In honor of the 4th of July:

"I hope I die up to the knees in British blood"

Joseph Warren, American commander at the (misnamed) Battle of Bunker Hill.

His hope was fulfilled; he was one of the last to die on the field but his militia killed or wounded a 1,000 British soldiers out of force of 2500.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 14:18
    "Come out, you old rat!"

Ethan Allen to the British commander of Fort Ticonderoga which surrendered without a shot being fired and allowed the Americans to move its 100 cannon to bolster the siege of Boston causing the British to evacuate.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 14:36
    "“At last, we have run down the old fox, and we will bag him in the morning."

British General Cornwallis referring to George Washington on January 2, 1977.

Not quite; Washington's army hammered two contingents of British forces and escaped to establish winter quarters at Morristown, NJ.
  4. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 15:03
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    "“At last, we have run down the old fox, and we will bag him in the morning."

British General Cornwallis referring to George Washington on January 2, 1977.

Not quite; Washington's army hammered two contingents of British forces and escaped to establish winter quarters at Morristown, NJ.
    1977? Was it a re-enactment?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 15:08
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace".
    George Washingon.

"Little stokes fell great Oaks".
    Ben Franklin

"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories"
    Thomas Jefferson

"He that makes his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression, for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach himself."
    Thomas Paine

"National defense is one of the cardinal duties of a statesman"
    John Adams

"Happily, for America, happily, we trust, for the whole human race, they pursued a new and more noble course. They accomplished a revolution which has no parallel in the annals of human history."
    James Madison

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Amighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
    Patrick Henry

"Neither the wisest Constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt."
    Samuel Adams.
  6. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 21:19
    "A government of laws, and not of men." -- 1774, Boston Gazette
  7. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 21:41
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." -- General Nathanael Greene
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 21:46
    “It seems to be a law of nature, inflexible and inexorable, that those who will not risk cannot win.”

John Paul Jones
  9. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 21:50
    "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."

"I may sink, but I'll be damned if I strike!" (a less famous quote from the battle with HMS Serapis)

-- John Paul Jones
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 21:56
    "While we are contending for our own Liberty, we should be very cautious of violating the Rights of Conscience in others, ever considering that God alone is the Judge of the Hearts of Men, and to him only in this Case, they are answerable."

- George Washington, in a letter to Colonel Benedict Arnold, September 14, 1775
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 02:243 edits
    "Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other men, but a right that belongs to us by the laws of God and nature."

Ben Franklin

'Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.'" -

Ben Franklin, Proposed Seal of the United States, July, 1776
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 02:301 edit
    "A free people claim their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate." - Thomas Jefferson, A Summary View of the Rights of British America, August, 1774

"He (King George III) has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating its most sacred rights of life & liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither. This piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the Christian king of Great Britain.

Thomas Jefferson, Original draft of the Declaration of Independence, June, 1776
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 02:34
    "All men have a right to remain in a state of nature as long as they please; and in case of intolerable oppression, civil or religious, to leave the society they belong to, and enter into another." - Sam Adams, The Rights of the Colonists, November 20, 1772

"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." - Sam Adams, The Rights of the Colonists, November 20, 1772
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 02:57
    heres a rather revolutionary war quote,

“I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.”

Mohandas K Ghandi
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 03:04
    "In politics, as in religion, it is equally absurd to aim at making proselytes by fire and sword. Heresies in either can rarely be cured by persecution."

Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 1, October 27, 1787

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree