Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    13 Dec '16 13:58
    Tillerson, the CEO of ExxonMobil, has acknowledged the reality of anthropogenic climate change, supported the Paris agreement and has called reducing CO2 emissions "responsible policy."

    Will Tillerson tell all of these things to the President-elect?

    http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/12/news/economy/rex-tillerson-exxon-climate-change/
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    13 Dec '16 14:01
    Trump built a flood wall around his golf coarse in Ireland. Translation, Trump believes in global warming.

    Trump merely has to appease the right by saying he does not believe it and sneak in the back door in terms of supporting legislation to curb it.

    Only time will tell, but I'm guessing I'm right.
  3. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    100919
    13 Dec '16 14:25
    Originally posted by whodey
    Trump built a flood wall around his golf coarse in Ireland. Translation, Trump believes in global warming.

    Trump merely has to appease the right by saying he does not believe it and sneak in the back door in terms of supporting legislation to curb it.

    Only time will tell, but I'm guessing I'm right.
    I hope not 😠
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35848
    13 Dec '16 14:30
    Originally posted by sh76
    Tillerson, the CEO of ExxonMobil, has acknowledged the reality of anthropogenic climate change, supported the Paris agreement and has called reducing CO2 emissions "responsible policy."

    Will Tillerson tell all of these things to the President-elect?

    http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/12/news/economy/rex-tillerson-exxon-climate-change/
    So he believes climate change is happening, but also thinks that nothing needs to change and that no regulations need to address it.

    Just put a sign up on the door to the Cabinet conference room right now:

    FRIENDS OF PUTIN
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    13 Dec '16 14:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    So he believes climate change is happening, but also thinks that nothing needs to change and that no regulations need to address it.

    Just put a sign up on the door to the Cabinet conference room right now:

    FRIENDS OF PUTIN
    Ummm... no; that doesn't seem to be his position at all.

    Exxon (XOM) even expressed support for the Paris agreement, which Trump opposed during the campaign. Exxon described the deal as "an important step forward by world governments in addressing the serious risks of climate change" in November.

    And Tillerson, in a speech at the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition, said "both developed and developing countries are now working together to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions" because of the agreement.

    <snip>

    "While there are a range of possible outcomes, the risk posed by rising greenhouse gas emissions could prove to be significant," Tillerson said in a speech to the Council on Foreign Relations in 2007. "So it has been ExxonMobil's view for some time that it is prudent to take action while accommodating the uncertainties that remain."

    The company often emphasizes technical solutions that won't hurt energy output or disproportionately raise consumer costs. Tillerson touted, in his speech in Abu Dhabi last month, an Exxon partnership that's researching how fuel cells can be used to capture emissions from power plants.



    Which part of that means that he "thinks that nothing needs to change and that no regulations need to address it"?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    13 Dec '16 14:431 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I hope not 😠
    I think Trump acknowledges the threat and also knows that the climate will continue to warm no matter what we do now, at least, that is what will happen according to science.

    Cap and trade and the Paris agreement does little to curb global warming, if at all. Is it worth curbing economic growth at a time of looming economic collapse? My guess is this is what Trump is contemplating,
  7. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    100919
    13 Dec '16 15:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think Trump acknowledges the threat and also knows that the climate will continue to warm no matter what we do now, at least, that is what will happen according to science.

    Cap and trade and the Paris agreement does little to curb global warming, if at all. Is it worth curbing economic growth at a time of looming economic collapse? My guess is this is what Trump is contemplating,
    One of the reasons I oppose climate change is that it is light years away from being a real threat and we cannot control it.
    I do not believe for a minute that the world will end because of climate change.
    You, I think, know that.
  8. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    13 Dec '16 15:47
    Originally posted by whodey
    Cap and trade and the Paris agreement does little to curb global warming, if at all.
    Not according to science.

    Is it worth curbing economic growth at a time of looming economic collapse? My guess is this is what Trump is contemplating,
    Cap and trade and the Paris agreement do not curb economic growth.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14741
    13 Dec '16 15:58
    Originally posted by sh76
    Tillerson, the CEO of ExxonMobil, has acknowledged the reality of anthropogenic climate change, supported the Paris agreement and has called reducing CO2 emissions "responsible policy."

    Will Tillerson tell all of these things to the President-elect?

    http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/12/news/economy/rex-tillerson-exxon-climate-change/
    Tillerson was simply looking out for the interests of ExxonMobile as all CEOs do. ExxonMobile is the largest Natural gas producer in the USA. Natural gas is the fossil fuel that has the lowest amount of carbon, so profits would soar with a carbon tax that eliminates the competition from coal, the least expensive (by far) fossil fuel.

    You didn't think Exxon Mobile was being selfless by supporting a carbon tax did you?
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14741
    13 Dec '16 16:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not according to science.

    [b]Is it worth curbing economic growth at a time of looming economic collapse? My guess is this is what Trump is contemplating,

    Cap and trade and the Paris agreement do not curb economic growth.[/b]
    It has little to do with science. It is about economics. Just because you say something, that does not make it true. You are proposing (indirectly) increasing the cost of fossil fuels. To suggest that would not curb economic growth is ridiculous!
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    13 Dec '16 16:04
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Tillerson was simply looking out for the interests of ExxonMobile as all CEOs do. ExxonMobile is the largest Natural gas producer in the USA. Natural gas is the fossil fuel that has the lowest amount of carbon, so profits would soar with a carbon tax that eliminates the competition from coal, the least expensive (by far) fossil fuel.

    You didn't think Exxon Mobile was being selfless by supporting a carbon tax did you?
    No, but I think Tillerson himself probably thinks AGW is a real problem and as Secretary of State, he'll be in a position to help on that front. He'll owe no more allegiance to XOM.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14741
    13 Dec '16 16:172 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    No, but I think Tillerson himself probably thinks AGW is a real problem and as Secretary of State, he'll be in a position to help on that front. He'll owe no more allegiance to XOM.

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/science/anthropogenic-global-warming-myth.170415
    [/b]
    I doubt he does think AGW is a real problem. I have cast a lot of doubt on that by myself with my thread on the science forum. Have you looked at it?
  13. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    13 Dec '16 16:30
    Originally posted by sh76
    Will Tillerson tell all of these things to the President-elect?
    Assuming he does, will Trump listen? Conspiracy nuts tend to be immune to information.

    I had a great laugh over Tillerson saying he shared Trump's "vision for restoring the credibility of the United States' foreign relations and advancing our country's national security." I'm sure that's going to work out with every foreign head of state thinking the American president is an imbecile, and said imbecile openly ridiculing the organizations that should help safeguard the United States' national security.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    13 Dec '16 17:06
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I doubt he does think AGW is a real problem. I have cast a lot of doubt on that by myself with my thread on the science forum. Have you looked at it?
    No offense, MB. I'm sure you're a great thinker and all, but I'm going to get my information on climate change from scholarly articles, major media pieces, government websites and university publications rather than from a random anonymous guy on the Internet.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    13 Dec '16 17:07
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Assuming he does, will Trump listen? Conspiracy nuts tend to be immune to information.

    I had a great laugh over Tillerson saying he shared Trump's "vision for restoring the credibility of the United States' foreign relations and advancing our country's national security." I'm sure that's going to work out with every foreign head of state thinking the ...[text shortened]... ly ridiculing the organizations that should help safeguard the United States' national security.
    What would you like him to say, KN?

    "I look forward to working with the imbecile," perhaps?
Back to Top